My SF E1L vs. garbage disposal!!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!!! Now that's a REAL torture test! Too bad the lens got cracked, otherwise you could have just filed down the rough spots and use it with pride!

I'll betcha other manufacturers' lights could not survive that sort of abuse.:eek:oo:

I'd keep it. Bragging rights, you understand...

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Well if they weren't dull before, I guess its safe to say the blades are dull now.

H2Orower

Enlightened
I just realized... You might wanna check the blades on your garbage disposal. They must be pretty dinged up. :poke:

Yeah, right. "Hey honey, do you mind grabbing one of my remaining lights (perhaps the Kroma would do) and check out the condition of the disposal blades?"

On second thought, maybe I'll do the inspecting this time!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Given that the dishwasher needs to be replaced, would you mind dumping an el cheapo light there to see what happens to it? You probably do not have any DX/KD light around but how about a lowely MagLite? Please sacrifice one for the sake of CPF community.

If it gets shreded, Surefire wins. If it does not, we can always say that the garbage disposal lost all its sharpness after tackling the Surefire and hence it was not able to shred the Maglite; so Surefire still wins :)

- Vikas

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
Just be thankfull your wife was not injured. SF will replace that, just ask for them to repair it.

i had to read that one twice, i thought maybe YOUR wife came with a surefire warranty...i was gunna call up surefire and have them replace mine too!

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Given that the dishwasher needs to be replaced, would you mind dumping an el cheapo light there to see what happens to it? You probably do not have any DX/KD light around but how about a lowely MagLite? Please sacrifice one for the sake of CPF community.

If it gets shreded, Surefire wins. If it does not, we can always say that the garbage disposal lost all its sharpness after tackling the Surefire and hence it was not able to shred the Maglite; so Surefire still wins :)

- Vikas

I have a minimag I can donate or a cheap chinese 6P clone

H2Orower

Enlightened
Just a FYI. Disposals dont have blades they have metal teeth.

Yes sir, you're absolutely correct. Since my little episode, I decided to educate myself on the inner workings of a disposal via a few google searches. Quite interesting. Typically, there are no spinning blades that chop food or flashlights, just a couple of spinning "slingers/knuckles/teeth" that use centrifugal force to throw the food against the outer edges of the chamber thru sharp slots in a shredder ring. The teeth are actually quite stubby, thick, and dull, which explains how they survived the E1L.

Anyway, this is a flashlight forum, not a household appliance forum, so I'll shut up now.

But since my disposal is currently working, I'm going to pass on any requests to throw additional lights in there. :shakehead

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive post!

If the light still works to a satisfactory level despite the cracked lens, then I would be tempted to keep it.

Maybe see if SureFire will send you a new clip? I suppose it depends on whether the attachment point for the clip has been damaged or not.

It looks like it has been used to fight insurgents in the Middle East, not to inspect a garbage disposal in the kitchen :p

Regards,
Tempest

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a FYI. Disposals dont have blades they have metal teeth.

I used to have one that basically had a pair of opposed cheese graters, which I think I would have called blades. Didn't work as well as the current ones with teeth/slingers, though. Probably wouldn't have made as much of a mess of the light, either. :crackup:

H2Orower

Enlightened
...If the light still works to a satisfactory level despite the cracked lens, then I would be tempted to keep it.

Maybe see if SureFire will send you a new clip? I suppose it depends on whether the attachment point for the clip has been damaged or not...

Regards,
Tempest

I agree. I'm keepin' it. It's a great conversation piece and it still serves its purpose perfectly as a general use household flashlight.

The clip is a goner though. Actually, the clip itself is fine, but the area surrounding the clip slot on the body was deformed enough where it will no longer hold the clip securely. Oh well.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
The clip is a goner though. Actually, the clip itself is fine, but the area surrounding the clip slot on the body was deformed enough where it will no longer hold the clip securely. Oh well.

Could you post a pic of the clip slot? It seems you missed it in all of your pics. :thanks:

Mike

Latest posts