Nebo?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nebo Redline here, it was a gift. Handling several Nebo lights at shows, flea markets, and such didn't make me want to bite.

PWM on low modes, enough to bug me. High mode is fine, I can't detect PWM. Fit and finish is okay, but not that great. Kept reaching for it and it was dead, so apparently mine has some significant parasitic drain. Changing modes is kind of cumbersome.

I feel that offerings from Foursevens or Zebralight are far slicker and nicer with better ui, fit and finish, and just about everything else.

My Nebo Redline sits empty on a shelf somewhere. Not my favorite light or brand.

Phoebus

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Nebo Redline Select today. It seemed like an interesting light and was cheap enough for me to try it out. I do like that you can select the output modes without having to cycle through the modes with clicks, but I do find the mode selector ring a tad loose. It's not sloppy loose, but it does wiggle a bit. The plastic "redline" ring around the bezel is gimmicky, but I guess it looks cool if you want to show off the light. There's a "stealth ring" you can use to cover up the red line if you don't want to see the ring glow, though. The domed magnified lens takes a bit of getting used to, but I suppose it's okay. Never had a flashlight that used a 3 AAA battery cartridge before, but at least AAA batteries are relatively easy to find. It's an okay flashlight. Not one I'd choose for EDC, and definitely not the best, but not necessarily bad. There are better lights on the market, but I find the Nebo interesting and useful enough to own.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I have a Nebo CSI Edge that gets used around the house a lot. Definately a low end light, and I don't think I would spend $10 on it again- but $5 definately. Handy little sucker. Bright enough for "around the house" stuff, too. I won't lie, I like the dang thing even though its kinda crappy :twothumbs
have you tried it with a 14500?

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I have gathered several nebo lights from trades. there are better choices for the same money. if you have one.. use it till it breaks. I would not go buy a new one. I give all of these low end lights to friends that are not into lights. I like having a few AA and AAA lights around just in case. but my user lights all are li-ion.

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
My very first LED light was/is a Nebo. I had $30 from a returned Christmas present and as I was wondering around the store, I saw this Nebo TAC-180 (Army Strong) light on the rack and snatched it up, not knowing what it was. My experience with LED lights up to then was limited to the free eight LED 3AAA lights. I got it home and stuck in 3AA Lithium Ultimate's. That baby throws a beam like I'd never seen before. A tight beam several hundred feet with a wide clear halo around. It is a fixed focus. I've since purchased several UltraFire XM-L T6 lights and converted two Mag lights to LED... none can "hold a candle" to the Nebo TAC-180. It is larger around (three AA's) and has nice heft. Easy to hold and IMO, very well made. It is my favorite, go to light. Certainly not a low end light....at least not the TAC-180.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FRUX28/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
If you like that thing there is several lights that will far outshine it. I have a redline with magnetic base (do automotive work) and its not bad just eats batteries like crazy. Now I have a convoy L4, eagle eye x2, dqg tiny lll and a couple more too. Never bothered with ultrafire brand cause their batteries are garbage so I figure their other stuff is too.

I do like the base and the adjustable beam of my redline, I may try to change the emitter and driver and figure out how to convert the 3aaa casing to properly hold a lithium cell without clanking around.

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
Can't say anything bad about Ultrafire lights....except that spec's. are vastly exaggerated. I own several and only one gave me a problem. I smoked a XP-E Q5 in one using two CR123's (my bad). Impossible to get 2000 lm from a XM-L T6 when it is only rated at ~915- 985 Lmn at 3A maximum only. And most run at less than 1.0A at the tail cap with a fully charged 18650. Ultrafire batteries are the same. Vastly overrated. But if you know that, you can get some good bargains in Ultrafire. In a budget light, does anyone care if it shows a few tool marks? I don't. I don't doubt there are better lights than either the Nebo or Ultrafire, but I also don't doubt they cost more. This is the Budget Forum after all. ;)

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I love my Nebo lights to use either as loaners or to preserve the juice in my higher end lights.

I've also bought a few as gifts which wowed the recipients without my having to spend a lot for a higher end light.

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
I think he meant battery juice. If you don't need a high end light why use it for that moment? Granted id never spend insane money in a flashlight but my "budget" lights that ive modded dont get used as much as the ones I dont care about. Instead they are used for their purpose only.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Sounds like you're saying that your Nebo light is doing the job so your higher end lights don't have to. If that's the case. why have the higher end lights?

The principle of subsidiarity: use a lower end light before you have to use a higher end model. This means I prefer to use lower end models (when convenient and when possible) because when I use the higher end ones (which I do more than you would imagine because I love 'em) I KNOW it's gonna serve me longer (and I know there's been less of a drain on the batteries!) I'd say that's a pretty smart strategy! :grin2:

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
OK. I guess I'd wonder what the high end light will do that the lower end light will not do. Excepting special features for special purposes. Is it brighter? Does it throw a longer beam? Does it run longer and, if so, why? Easier to carry? .......What is so great about a @$200 (or more) light over a $30 (or less) light if they are both running the same LED and battery setup? My own personal feeling is to fill the house and vehicles with decent low end lights so that I can find one in pitch black of night without burning my fingers with matches while looking. My highest end light is the Nebo TAC-180. Then there are four Ultrafire's, one Mag 3D converted, and one Mini Mag converted all placed in strategic places around my home and vehicles. My Nebo is the oldest, most expensive, (excepting the Mag lights unconverted) and most used for keeping track of the dog when I let her out for her evening pee. I just can't imagine having need for a $200 light. Enlighten me. What am I missing?

Last edited:

202BIGMIKE

Newly Enlightened
OK. I guess I'd wonder what the high end light will do that the lower end light will not do. Excepting special features for special purposes. Is it brighter? Does it throw a longer beam? Does it run longer and, if so, why? Easier to carry? .......What is so great about a @$200 (or more) light over a $30 (or less) light if they are both running the same LED and battery setup? My own personal feeling is to fill the house and vehicles with decent low end lights so that I can find one in pitch black of night without burning my fingers with matches while looking. My highest end light is the Nebo TAC-180. Then there are four Ultrafire's, one Mag 3D converted, and one Mini Mag converted all placed in strategic places around my home and vehicles. My Nebo is the oldest, most expensive, (excepting the Mag lights unconverted) and most used for keeping track of the dog when I let her out for her evening pee. I just can't imagine having need for a $200 light. Enlighten me. What am I missing?

:wtf: If the lights that you have fit your wants and needs , it seems like you're missing nothing !

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are several reasons to go with higher-end lights.

First, many of us here at CPF simply appreciate quality. I have had quite a variety of lights, and generally speaking, the more expensive lights are better made. To be sure, there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, there is a fairly strong correlation. Some of the handcrafted lights are works of art...and you obviously will pay more for that.

Second, although you may get a good inexpensive light, how much do you trust it? What if you drop it onto concrete - are you totally confident it will keep working? Again, this is somewhat subjective, but in my experience, more expensive lights are more reliable. I've had more than one Ultrafire light suddenly fail...but I haven't had any problems with my Elzettas.

Third, more expensive lights often come with a much better warranty, and customer service.

Fourth, yes, typically performance is better. More brightness is the most common...but efficiency is often better too. There are also things like PWM and bad tint that bother some people. Budget lights often use the cheapest components that will do the job, while mid-range and premium lights usually have circuits specifically designed for a particular light.

All that said, I agree with 202BIGMIKE. If your inexpensive lights are meeting all your needs, then there is no need for you to spend more. Be happy that you found lights that work for you at a low price point!

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
There are several reasons to go with higher-end lights.

First, many of us here at CPF simply appreciate quality. I have had quite a variety of lights, and generally speaking, the more expensive lights are better made. To be sure, there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, there is a fairly strong correlation. Some of the handcrafted lights are works of art...and you obviously will pay more for that. I understand appreciating quality...to a point. Handcrafted lights? I'd be afraid to use them for fear of scratching it. So it would never be "used".

Second, although you may get a good inexpensive light, how much do you trust it? What if you drop it onto concrete - are you totally confident it will keep working? Again, this is somewhat subjective, but in my experience, more expensive lights are more reliable. I've had more than one Ultrafire light suddenly fail...but I haven't had any problems with my Elzettas. Whats to damage by dropping. LED is almost bullet proof. Switch...maybe. Somehow I doubt a simple drop would be damaging to either a Nebo or Ultrafire...to the point where it doesn't work. My Nebo is ~3 years old now and used almost daily...going on it's third set of cells and Ultrafires up to 2 years old....My trust level for all is very high as there have been no failures to date (except the one caused by me) .

Third, more expensive lights often come with a much better warranty, and customer service. But who needs a warranty or customer service for a $10 Ultrafire light. You can buy 20 of these for the price of one $200 Surefire.

Fourth, yes, typically performance is better. More brightness is the most common...but efficiency is often better too. There are also things like PWM and bad tint that bother some people. Budget lights often use the cheapest components that will do the job, while mid-range and premium lights usually have circuits specifically designed for a particular light. All relative and hard to prove. Without expensive equipment you can't tell what's brighter than another....surely the human eye can't tell. An XM-L T6 at say 1A will be equal (lumens, not lux) in all lights regardless of cost of the light. Different LED's have differing tints and brightness, but then you're comparing apples and oranges, not quality or price. What are the "cheap components" you mention? Basically, all there is, is the flashlight case, lens, reflector, switch, circuitry including the LED, and battery.

All that said, I agree with 202BIGMIKE. If your inexpensive lights are meeting all your needs, then there is no need for you to spend more. Be happy that you found lights that work for you at a low price point!

IMO for what it's worth, I'd rather have twenty $10 Ultrafire lights than one $200 Surefire light because when the Surefire light dies (an it will) and my Ultrafire light dies (and it will), I'll still have 19 more Ultrafires to go. If I drop an Ultrafire on concrete and in the unlikely event it quits, I'll still have 19 more at hand. It's a matter of bang for my buck. If one gives up the ghost, put it in a drawer and use it for parts to keep the others going. That's where the one I burned up is....waiting to give up it's parts for the others. It does, in fact still light up...but with a burned segment, like it's on low all the time.

I have a few "free" 8 LED lights like those given away at Harbor Freight. They are used and and carried around in my pocket or sitting on my end table. None have ever quit working even after a few years of use. Can't get much more bang for the buck than years of free light. Of course the free 8 LED lights are limited to close-up, but have their place. All lights will give years of service given proper care. If you're going to throw it at a concrete wall, all bets are off.

Special purpose lights are another matter entirely.

I also agree with 202BIGMIKE.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, twenty is better then one.

How many of the ultra fires will you carry to feel comfortably confident that you've enough in case out of that twenty?

Carry twenty or one?

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
True, twenty is better then one.

How many of the ultra fires will you carry to feel comfortably confident that you've enough in case out of that twenty?

Carry twenty or one?

Like I said, I've never had one fail in normal use. So my answer to your question is one. I'm not sure what you mean by "carry". Some "carry" all the time...I don't. I "carry" when the power goes out or when I expect to be in darkness like when camping and it's dark outside or have particular need.

It seems to me that we're all thinking like we're in the same boat. Everyone has different needs. My thoughts while responding here is in a general purpose light. A light to be located in total darkness and to light your way until the power comes on or more suitable light is available. It seems another might be thinking about gun lights or other special purpose lights. Those are different animals and require different options. This I understand. When your life is one the line a few more $$$ is not a concern. This is the "Budget Light" forum, so I assumed a budget light would be more in tune with a GP light not a special purpose light.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, no I understand. What's good for one person might have exact opposite uses for another.

I was just throwing a wrench into that theory of 20vs1, as this forum is full of people that normally communicate about their edc carry and experience. And if we applied that thinking, of 20 cheap versus 1 good one to anyone here for the most part, they'd always have it in their mind, will it work?

Have a great one.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
JackDD, you responded to my post like you are trying to argue for your point of view. I see no reason to respond to each point...I was merely answering your question...there are advantages with higher-end lights. Doesn't mean they are better for your needs, as I said before. In fact I have a variety of lights for different uses (including some cheap ones that are indeed a great value), and I like it that way! Enjoy what you have, and don't worry about what you might be missing.