Need a Dome Tent.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I need a ~4 person dome tent that is very easy to set up. Easier the better, but not too cheap in quality either. I'm so use to other non dome tents that take a while to set up with heavy poles that bugger up after a while.

Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm use to the small door roofs holding water. :(

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I was just looking online myself for a new tent and found a pretty nice set up from Eureka. This tent actually has solar lights installed and uses a 2 pole set up for easy setup....200 dollars seems to be the lowest I found it for.

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-84-solar-intent-tent.aspx

If you are just doing mild camping over a weekend Coleman makes some decent stuff that you can get locally at many stores. If you are into more extreme camping in harsher areas Kelty makes some very nice stuff however it is a little more expensive. Check into Columbia products also as they have some better quality tents.

If I remember correct Moss tents also have some top of the line products and I believe they repair any damage for free. Been a long time since I was in the camping loop so things may have changed. Most tents with a a rain fly will have the outside fly coming maybe half way down. I do remember that the better tents usually had a full rain fly for better coverage.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Kelty San Miguel 4 tent for $139.99 from REIoutlet.com. Here's the link.http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767821

It has aluminum poles, a full coverage rainfly, a vestibule for your gear, should be easy to set up with only two poles, and only weighs around 8 lbs.

Personally, I like tents like this that clip in as you can stake it out and get the poles setup in place without any wind resistance before clipping in the body to the poles if it's windy. This type of setup is easier than the alternative in less than ideal conditions.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another option from Eureka.

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-79-tetragon-9-tent.aspx

I have two tents from Eureka(both are very easy to set up),one of them 15 years old and they have proven to be good quality.Keep in mind that a "4-person" tent will have floor space for four sleeping bags but that's about it.If you want any kind of room for four people you will probably be better served by a 6 or 8 person tent.

Last edited:

Scottiver

Enlightened
Yep, whatever size the manufacturer says a tent is, subtract one person for comfort. A two person tent is good for one person, three person tent for two, four person tent for three....etc.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, whatever size the manufacturer says a tent is, subtract one person for comfort. A two person tent is good for one person, three person tent for two, four person tent for three....etc.
also if one person is a snorer then they are all 1 person tents :whistle:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I need a ~4 person dome tent that is very easy to set up. Easier the better, but not too cheap in quality either. I'm so use to other non dome tents that take a while to set up with heavy poles that bugger up after a while.

(

I started using a pop-up canopy a few years back wrapping it in a cheap plastic tarp and backing the rear end of my car in for storage.

The Ozark Trail Hanging Tent Gazebo takes a step or two better

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I started out with an inexpensive Coleman 7x7 dome tent 15 years ago. It was reasonably waterproof once we seam-sealed it, had a nearly full-length rain fly, and stood up to a lot of abuse over the years, very quick to set up too. We bought a 9x9 version of the same tent a few years later for more room, unfortunately it had the same size rain fly as the 7x7 so it wasn't nearly as waterproof. Didn't do too bad though, we still have both and use them as our backyard family tents and our loaner tents (we seldom loan our good tents out) so they have seen a lot of abuse.

Our last two tents have been LL Bean dome tents, first the 4-person version, and then the 6-person version (which holds our family of four comfortably). Both are very good for the price and we've weathered some pretty heavy storms in them both in campgrounds closer to home, and down in the Smoky Mountains. The 6-person LL Bean dome tent withstood 30-40 mph winds and heavy rain twice in a month with the only damage being one pole that split at the end, and I repaired it with a new pole section for around $10, and the tent stayed standing, with only a few drops of water inside.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Like the other poster said, Eureka comes to mind when you're talking about low-to-medium price range tents. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get Kelty. The other poster mentioned a MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) tent. They are only available in Canada I think.....unless you buy them online. MEC is like a Canadian REI.

If you're willing spend a little more, take a look at Sierra Designs and MSR.

Whatever tent you decide on, 2 things that I would definitely make note of are (and this is based on numerous camping trips and tons of reading and hanging around camping stores for hours):

1) you would want a tent with aluminum poles and not fiberglass. You should be able to get aluminum poles at a good price point now a days

2) you would want to set up the tent and go inside, try opening and closing the zippers for the door AND the fly about 5 or 6 times, and if at any time the zipper snags and gets stuck because another part of the fly caught in the zipper, pick another tent!

Oh BTW, the tent is definitely the most important piece of camping equipment and you do not want to go too cheap on it (of course keep in mond your budget). Sleeping bag would be a close second.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If you want summer light weight with winter protection, get a multi season convertible.

+1 on Sierra Designs and pick up a tube of seam sealer.