Need a light for C batteries

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a discharge test of alkaline C cells, courtesy of our friend HKJ.
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Panasonic Pro Power C UK.html

At a steady 2 amps, they will be depleted in a little more than an hour.
Of course, as the voltage drops, the out put will drop, and the amperage draw will also drop, so on alkalines, it may run for a couple of hours, with diminishing output.

On low... one might get 6 hours of diminishing output. I don't really know.

Yeah, that strobe is a slight annoyance, but one quickly learns to double click past it to off.

Yeah alkalines suck bad under heavy loads; at 2 Amps you will get more runtime from AA Eneloop Pros AND you will get a higher Voltage under load for more consistent output. This along with leaks is why I almost never use alkaline C cells.

Running standard AA Eneloops, I got about 2 hrs runtime on high and over 12 hrs. on low with the Defiant 3C. I am not sure if it has a step down or not, but I am thinking that it probably does.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I picked the ML25L with the Intention of running Eneloops with AA adapter's to keep In my truck perfect size for my center console and brightness Is suitable for It's Intended purpose.

Last edited:

novarider

Newly Enlightened
Figured I'd do an update for anyone interested.

I purchased 2 lights to try and figured I'd keep which one I liked best. I purchased a maglite ml50l and a husky 1000L indestructible. I kept the maglite.

The husky light was bright, well built and seemed like it would last. What I didn't like was the size (much larger than the maglite), weight (much heavier) and I didn't like the beam. It was a very tight spot with very little flood. For my intended purpose that didn't work very well. It also had a warmer light then the maglite. I have to say tho it's a pretty nice light for $17! Most people (ie not flashlight people) would be super happy with it.

The maglite ml50l is basically perfect for my intended purpose. It's smaller and lighter then expected for a C light which was a good thing. The beam can be a tight spot or a wider floody light with a 1/4 turn of the head. It's a nice white light. Throws really well and I like the side click as apposed to the tail click of the husky for this intended purpose. It is also brighter than the husky even tho the husky claims 1000L and the maglite claims only 600L. The claimed runtime is also longer on the maglite but I didn't test that as its not a major concern of mine.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag really did a great job with the newer ML series LEDs. I use my ML50 and ML25 all the time and I am looking forward to getting one of the new 4D ML300s.

Latest posts