Need a new scorpion hunting light

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
thank you for improving my education, Both the S2 and the Cu6 are the same power.. Nice!

Yes, they don't put that 3 Watt spec in the headlines on the convoy sales pages, you have to search around a bit to find it but after comparing it to my other UV lights I believe it, especially after comparing it to the 900mW Nitecore that I got. I didn't know about that CU6. I may be tempted to get one out of curiosity even though I was disappointed in the Nitecore I got.

And thanks for digging up those scorpion pix. I've never seen a live scorpion, let alone one lit up by UV light, but those pictures really show how well they fluoresce under UV. Impressive!

I mentioned earlier that I've ordered that visible light filter that was recommended but after seeing those scorpion UV pix I'm sure the very faint blue light that the convoy puts out wouldn't be a problem at all in spotting those critters.

The Convoy S2 UV is only one mode though?

Yes, single mode only. I don't know why anyone would want to lower the output of a light that size unless it's to conserve battery power. I suppose if I were out hunting with the light for several hours I would carry a spare battery until I had gotten familiar with the runtime available with that setup.

The S2 weighs half as much and costs $22
the CU6 is twice as heavy, and costs $100
One possible difference between the two that might be significant to JayHawk might be the beam pattern. He seemed to be interested in a somewhat floody beam. In checking my Convoy just now I see that it has a definite hotspot and, just eyeballing it and using my mental protractor, I'm thinking it might have a beam spread of about 70-80 degrees. Not very floody if that's what he wanted and very definitely most of the power is in the hotspot. OTOH, that will give it a much greater reach.

Obviously, not owning one, I don't know the beam spread of the CU6, but if it's greater, he might like that better even though that would mean lesser throw.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm gonna try out the Convoy.

I think you'll like it and if it's not ideal for your style of usage, at that price it's not too bad a loss. Hey, I guess I don't have any problem helping you spend your money. :D

Please let us know when you get it how it works for you. And, out of curiosity, what do you do with scorpions when you find them? Just kill them as a dangerous pest or do you collect them for some possible scientific or medical use?

Ed

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a little searching and found that Banggood has multi mode versions of the Convoy S2+ UV. I ordered a 3 mode for ~$16 last night. Maybe I'll regret the 3 mode, but at that price it's not a huge loss and I can mod the driver for single mode if I really want as it apparently uses a 7135.

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
Since my wife and I are older folks and the bark scorpions present a potentially significant health risk, I activly hunt and destroy them. Believing everything exists for a reason, killing them is not something I enjoy. There are some real horror stories about them though, so I do it. Knock wood, haven't found any in the house yet.

The Convoy beam sounds like it will work fine with my M.O. I typically do a quick scan along the block walls in the yards and this is where the floodier beam comes in. I then give the nooks and crannies a closer look so the hotspot will work great there.

Thanks again everyone.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff UV light
Interesting offering, thanks for the link
$200 for a 1300mW 395nM UV.. strikes me as strange that it is not the 365nM UV that the other lights being discussed in this thread are.

fwiw, 395nM will NOT show the redline on the US $100.. imo 365nM is the UV to get

The Convoy has been confirmed as a 365nM UV led that does work on the US $100, and imo is a better choice for scorpions too

Last edited:

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say that I bought a Convoy S2 because I didn't have a UV light. I have two dogs, so you can probably imagine where I'm going with this. 😢

Now I don't want to walk around the house without shoes on! And I'll possibly never stay in a hotel again.

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
Just to update, I've been using my Convoy S2+ since receiving it a few days ago and spotted the first scorpion of the season last night. Side by side with the old light, the scorpion fluoresced more with the Convoy, especially at a distance of 25 feet. The downside of the Convoy is that as expected, it doesn't have the flood of the old light and requires much more motion to cover the same area. Also of note, things like flower petals, leaves and some rocks fluoresce so much more with the Convoy that it creates a bit of information overload and everything must be checked more thoroughly than with the old light.

The bottom line is that the Convoy is well built, gets good runtime and works great for the security features on currency but sadly is not exactly the perfect tool for my scorpion hunting needs.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
Followed this with interest. I think over the past couple of months I've read almost all UV information on the net. There does not really seem to be conclusive info between 365 and 395. One test might show the one as a winner while next is the other way around.

My own, non-scientific, conclusion is therefore that there is more to UV than the stated wavelength. I conclude that there are different quality products on the market. One measure of this is the amount to spill to other wavelengths.

I think I have made up my mind to try out the Malkoff product. I'm really interested to see what a quality 395 can do. I can always send it back if I'm not happy I guess.

cp2315

Enlightened
I would suggest the OP to google search this "Jaxman UV".
It is currently sold at many websites for around 25USD. I have one and it is really nice.

Comparing to the convoy, this one has a built-in filter to block visible lights. But I guess for scorpion hunting either one will serve you well.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found one that just blows away the UV lights that I have now. Even beats the new Nitecore MT1U UV light that I got recently.

It's the 3 watt Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia UV Led Flashlight. I was so impressed that I ordered a second one as a backup after I got my first one. I don't know if I can post the url here but I got it from gearbest.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html?wid=8

I think that worked. That url shows shipping from an LA warehouse.

Ed

Get this one, I was just out at the dunes scorpion hunting, and it blew all the other scorpion lights people had out of the water. At first they thought might was not very bright (theirs were purple lights) The way this one worked was night and day better. Also, if you want the best, banggood sells a UV filter for it.. The nichia UV led is amazing. Also works extremely fast for curing optical adhesive. Be careful though, it's not a toy and can hurt your eyes.

Althoguht the LED is already not emitting lots of visible light, the filter is icing on the cake and drops it down yet another level. Be sure to add a convoy Glow in the dark O-ring so you can tell when it is on.

There was like 1 scorpion in every bush, like each one was patrolling their own small area. Found some pretty large ones too. It's great because you can see them from fairly far away, so IMO perfect for scorpion hunting.

Here is a link to the filter: http://www.banggood.com/365nm-UV-Flashlight-Visible-Filter-Lens-1pcs-p-1015970.html?rmmds=search

What LED does the Jaxman use? If it's the same one that light should basically be the same thing only cheaper, but I could not verify it's using the nichia LED.

I did a little searching and found that Banggood has multi mode versions of the Convoy S2+ UV. I ordered a 3 mode for ~$16 last night. Maybe I'll regret the 3 mode, but at that price it's not a huge loss and I can mod the driver for single mode if I really want as it apparently uses a 7135.

Are you sure you ordered the right light? I didn't know they have a 3 mode boost driver. I cannot find it on banggood either.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I did a little searching and found that Banggood has multi mode versions of the Convoy S2+ UV. I ordered a 3 mode for ~$16 last night.
I believe the 3-mode UV Convoys use a less-powerful, unspecified LED and not the Nichia 276A.

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
I think I have made up my mind to try out the Malkoff product. I'm really interested to see what a quality 395 can do. I can always send it back if I'm not happy I guess.

I'd be very interested in your opinion if you get the Malkoff. Are you involved with scorpion hunting?

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
Get this one, I was just out at the dunes scorpion hunting, and it blew all the other scorpion lights people had out of the water. At first they thought might was not very bright (theirs were purple lights) The way this one worked was night and day better. Also, if you want the best, banggood sells a UV filter for it. Although the LED is already not emitting lots of visible light, the filter is icing on the cake and drops it down yet another level.

I liked the difference the filter made on mine also.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
I don't go out actively to hunt for scorpions, but I like to know what is going on around me in that regard.

I have been looking at the Customlites Nichia 365 drop in now. Also expensive, but might be a good option. Anyone have experience with it?

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Get this one, I was just out at the dunes scorpion hunting, and it blew all the other scorpion lights people had out of the water. At first they thought might was not very bright (theirs were purple lights) The way this one worked was night and day better. Also, if you want the best, banggood sells a UV filter for it.. The nichia UV led is amazing. Also works extremely fast for curing optical adhesive. Be careful though, it's not a toy and can hurt your eyes.

Althoguht the LED is already not emitting lots of visible light, the filter is icing on the cake and drops it down yet another level. Be sure to add a convoy Glow in the dark O-ring so you can tell when it is on.

There was like 1 scorpion in every bush, like each one was patrolling their own small area. Found some pretty large ones too. It's great because you can see them from fairly far away, so IMO perfect for scorpion hunting.

Here is a link to the filter: http://www.banggood.com/365nm-UV-Flashlight-Visible-Filter-Lens-1pcs-p-1015970.html?rmmds=search

What LED does the Jaxman use? If it's the same one that light should basically be the same thing only cheaper, but I could not verify it's using the nichia LED.

Are you sure you ordered the right light? I didn't know they have a 3 mode boost driver. I cannot find it on banggood either.
Thanks so much for the info on this, just ordered the s2+ and the filter.

Steve

Koam

Newly Enlightened

I've search, but can't seem to find where to purchase the glow in the dark o-rings. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
Ditto. Where to get the GITD o-ring? I just ordered an S2+ UV from gear best. Silly that it doesn't come with GITD, a UV light is one where I'd actually want to have it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do a nightly patrol in the yard to see when I should spray for the little nasty lobsters. I've been using an Inova UV, that is quite old. This thread made me, yes, made me buy a Convoy UV in 365. Huge difference. The Inova is purple and makes the scorpions fluoresce in a sea of purple. The Convoy make anything that can possibly fluoresce shine like crazy in a sea of black. Much greater range with the Convoy. I'm very impressed with this UV light.

Inova makes them shine in a sea of purple.

IMG_5883_zpsdmysdbmj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Convoy... the picture does not do it justice. The critters are insanely bright, and the camera made it look as though it's a regular light from everything fluorescing!

IMG_5882_zpshcexjngh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Customlites Nichia 365 drop in
If that is a 1000mW, it is 1/3 as powerful as the Convoy.
here is a man on the ground report about the practical field use intensity:

The Convoy make anything that can possibly fluoresce shine like crazy in a sea of black. Much greater range with the Convoy.
the picture does not do it justice. The critters are insanely bright

great photos, and great feedback on how bright the Convoy is,
its rated 3000mW afaik