Need a new scorpion hunting light

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought some UV flashlights lately but the UVBeast is by far the best and is truly a "BEAST".

The lights are listed below.

Larger lights.

UVBeast with 100 LEDs.

Taotronics TT-FL002 with 51 LEDs.

Smaller sized 18650 lights.

Jaxman U1.

Convoy S2+.

Countryman EDC S+.

The best of the smaller ones is the Countryman EDC S+.

The Countryman EDC S+ is hard to find sometimes.

I found it at
http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/cmspuv6w.htm

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Countryman EDC S+ looks like it uses the bigger brother Nichia 233a versus the smaller 276a. At three times the cost I would expect something over the Convoy.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Countryman EDC S+ looks like it uses the bigger brother Nichia 233a versus the smaller 276a. At three times the cost I would expect something over the Convoy.

Yes it is dear but it really lights up those dirty bits quite well.

I think I have found the best of the small and large lights to take with me when I am away from home.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Convoy S2+ UV in the mail today. Unscrewed the pill, cleaned all the threads, put in the UV pass filter that was waiting for it, lubed threads, and charged up a handy 17670. Even though it's locked up, I still put some ugly yellow warning stickers on the smooth part of the bezel. I'm looking forward to checking some currency tonight when it gets dark. I wear glasses with what are presumably polycarbonate lenses, but does anyone know for sure whether common garden-variety cheap polycarbonate protective glasses or goggles provide adequate protection against UV light, and whether it matters whether they are clear or amber?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just get some printer paper. Common paper is coated with a uv sensitive coating that makes it appear more white. You will know immediately if the polycarbonate glasses are working.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
staticx57,
Excuse my obtuseness, but what am I looking for? If the lenses are working, does that mean that the paper will not appear "more white" than normal? Thank you!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDZEsBM.jpg

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tested some paper currency. The light seemed to do what it was supposed to do, although, surprisingly, as per staticx57's photo, my new prescription glasses did not seem to do anything. Very good to know. Fortunately, my previous eye surgery implanted lenses that were supposed to include UV protection. Knock on something...

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened

good job on the Convoy, can you do the Jaxman U1 also please?:)

I received the two 21 mm UV filters I ordered from Hong Kong today and compared them to the filter that came with the Jaxman. They appear to be identical, and their performance also appears to be identical. I put the filter which I had moved from the Jaxman to the Convoy back into the Jaxman. I installed one of the filters that came in the mail into the Convoy.

Rather than take a picture of the Jaxman shining on a $100 bill, I did a test which compares the Jaxman and Convoy at the same time.

I made up a solution consisting of a bit of fluorescein in water. Here's a picture showing the beam from both flashlights passing through a glass of fluorescein/water. The top beam is the Jaxman and the bottom beam is the Convoy. You can easily see the superiority of the Convoy. I have ordered a Countryman EDC S+ and when it arrives, I'll show all three together.

qqbxjl.jpg

Oh good! This time the image shows perfectly.

JerryWilliams

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. But what kind of UV light is enough to hunt scorpion? I know many cheap UV flashlights on amazon and ebay are available.

KBobAries

Enlightened
I have bought some UV flashlights lately but the UVBeast is by far the best and is truly a "BEAST".The lights are listed below.Larger lights.UVBeast with 100 LEDs.Taotronics TT-FL002 with 51 LEDs.Smaller sized 18650 lights.Jaxman U1.Convoy S2+.Countryman EDC S+.The best of the smaller ones is the Countryman EDC S+.The Countryman EDC S+ is hard to find sometimes.I found it at http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/cmspuv6w.htm

Can you elaborate please on your comparison of the Convoy and Countryman?

Last edited:

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
In addition to taking pictures, I was wondering if it is necessary to use protected 18650 cells with these flashlights to be sure the cells aren't discharged below 2.5 volts. I powered the pill with a variable supply and starting with 4 volts, I slowly decreased the voltage to see where the UV output would cut out. Both flashlights stop working totally at 3.1 volts, so there appears to be no need to use protected cells.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both flashlights stop working totally at 3.1 volts, so there appears to be no need to use protected cells.
great info!
thanks for the money shots too
at least the Jaxman U1 IS a 365nm LED.. I agree it is less bright than the Convoy

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
great info!
thanks for the money shots too
at least the Jaxman U1 IS a 365nm LED.. I agree it is less bright than the Convoy

You can really see just how much brighter the Convoy is with the direct comparison shown in post #91 above. I think the Convoy may be about 4 times the radiant power.