Need a Red LED Hunting Lights

JCD

Enlightened
Just had another idea. Since hogs can obviously see IR would it be possible to take the IR out of a white light? Hmmmm.

I'm not aware of any such filter. A red filtered incan would work, provided it filters IR. For reasons stated above, I'm not sure that all red filters filter out IR, so testing would be required.

jnettrecker

Newly Enlightened

SemiMan

Banned
Just had another idea. Since hogs can obviously see IR would it be possible to take the IR out of a white light? Hmmmm.

Yes there are lots of either passband optical filters and/or optical high pass filters .. but why bother since there is no IR in white LED light.

I am a little surprised by your statement their could see IR, but would have to look more into what pigs can see. I did not think the photochemicals would respond in the IR.

Looking at the cameras you are using, "GOPRO and Contour Roam + to a JVC HD and Sony TRV-330", these are all color cameras and are definitely NOT the best thing to record a monochrome red source. On a simple basis, only 1/4 of the area of the sensor is dedicated to red (1/2 to green, 1/4 blue). If you can live with monochrome (you did mention FLIR), then you will get far better sensitivity with a monochrome camera, preferably with no IR filter (it may cut a bit of the red). Not sure off the top what low cost (if any) packaged camera/storage exists though. Easy enough to get a camera, lens and something to record, but will not be super cheap. Do you need video, or can you live with stills?

On the LED front, if you can get your hands on the Lumileds LXM2-PD01-0060, it is 100+ lumens (per package) but it droops very little w.r.t. to current so you could push the thing really hard while you take the shots then dial it down. That said, like all LEDs in this color range, they lose a ton of output when hot, so you need to balance the drive level and if you can mount them directly to a thermal block, you can push them harder longer before they drop as much.

Semiman

JCD

Enlightened
Re: AW: Need a Red LED Hunting Lights

Do you know of a video camera that will perform that well?

It's unlikely. The user (and the camera, for that matter) has more freedom with respect to exposure level with a still camera than a video camera in low light conditions.

JCD

Enlightened
Looking at the cameras you are using, "GOPRO and Contour Roam + to a JVC HD and Sony TRV-330", these are all color cameras and are definitely NOT the best thing to record a monochrome red source. On a simple basis, only 1/4 of the area of the sensor is dedicated to red (1/2 to green, 1/4 blue). If you can live with monochrome (you did mention FLIR), then you will get far better sensitivity with a monochrome camera, preferably with no IR filter (it may cut a bit of the red). Not sure off the top what low cost (if any) packaged camera/storage exists though. Easy enough to get a camera, lens and something to record, but will not be super cheap. Do you need video, or can you live with stills?

Reduce the amount of light required. Genius! :)

SemiMan

Banned
The idea may be genius ... :) ... but not sure it is easily implementable. Certainly you can get a monochrome low noise security camera and any number of lenses, but you need something to record on, power, etc. Easy still perhaps, but maybe not as portable as desired. A lot of light is likely easiest, but that brings on its own issues.

Semiman

jnettrecker

Newly Enlightened
I think in general more red light will work. Take a look at the video I put together from our teams hunt in the texas big nasty. The good red light videos were shot at 12-15 yds. The ones any beyond 15 yards you can hardly see the pigs in the shot. Video is a must as all the competitions around here require it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_290loOoY

jnettrecker

Newly Enlightened
I am going to order some SST-90 drop-ins from NailBender. I don't know what to tell him I need though. Is there a drop-in that will go in that light I am using (see below)? It runs off the 18650 battery. If not, what model of light will work with the SST-90 and use the 18650 3000mah battery? I have like 20 of the batteries so I hate to switch if I don't have to. One I figure out what works, I wan to sell it in our shop.

UltraFire 501B CREE Red

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
The 501B is real cheap crap. Get a 504b or a Solarforce Host. The SST-90 Dropin produces a lot of heat, be careful!
I ordered this Dropin: Luminus SSt-90 RED LEDsmooth reflector3 Amps 5 Modes Driver (1% - 5% - 25%-40% - 100%) from Nailbender. That is the Dropin which you saw at the pictures.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The 501B is real cheap crap. Get a 504b or a Solarforce Host. The SST-90 Dropin produces a lot of heat, be careful!
I ordered this Dropin: Luminus SSt-90 RED LEDsmooth reflector3 Amps 5 Modes Driver (1% - 5% - 25%-40% - 100%) from Nailbender. That is the Dropin which you saw at the pictures.
A host essentially is a flashlight without the dropin. If you are looking to get something to sell in your store, I would buy any L2 series solarforce host rather than the ultrafire stuff.

jnettrecker

Newly Enlightened

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yes that will work as a host. Personally I do not like sharp edges and would prefer the Solarforce L2N as a host, but that's just me. Sharp edges can poke holes in packs and pockets.

I have that RED dropin, and think that is what you are already using.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
How about Wicked Lights? they make hog hunting lights for $150. I have a buddy who uses the green verson to shoot coyotes out to 150 yards.