Need advice regarding suitable transformer to drive several LED MR-16 bulbs

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
We would like to upgrade the MR-16 Halogen based cable lighting system used in part of our house to use the new 10 watt Philips LED MR-16s or something similar. We have a 5 and 6 bulb string so we're looking for an appropriate transformer to provide an appropriate wattage for either string. The original transformers that fed the Halogen strings died a while back and I've resorted to running one of the strings on a lab power supply that makes too much noise to endure.

The upshot is that we're looking for specific advice as to an appropriate and hopefully economical power supply to feed either string and perhaps be dimmable as well though that isn't as important to us. The cable runs are ~ 25 feet if that's of any importance. If you think there are other MR-16 LED bulbs that would fill the bill as well or better we'd love to hear thoughts on those as well.

Thanks for any advice,

Hugh

SemiMan

Banned
We would like to upgrade the MR-16 Halogen based cable lighting system used in part of our house to use the new 10 watt Philips LED MR-16s or something similar. We have a 5 and 6 bulb string so we're looking for an appropriate transformer to provide an appropriate wattage for either string. The original transformers that fed the Halogen strings died a while back and I've resorted to running one of the strings on a lab power supply that makes too much noise to endure.

The upshot is that we're looking for specific advice as to an appropriate and hopefully economical power supply to feed either string and perhaps be dimmable as well though that isn't as important to us. The cable runs are ~ 25 feet if that's of any importance. If you think there are other MR-16 LED bulbs that would fill the bill as well or better we'd love to hear thoughts on those as well.

Thanks for any advice,

Hugh

Lots of Halogen transfomers out there. You may run into some issues with dimming as the compatibility of dimmers, electronic or magnetic transformers and MR16 LED bulbs can often be an issue.

Many MR16 electronic transformers require a minimum load requiring 4+ MR16 lights to work properly.

semiman

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
Lots of Halogen transfomers out there. You may run into some issues with dimming as the compatibility of dimmers, electronic or magnetic transformers and MR16 LED bulbs can often be an issue.

Many MR16 electronic transformers require a minimum load requiring 4+ MR16 lights to work properly.

semiman

Thanks semiman,

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a specific transformer known to work with 50 or 60 watts of MR-16 LED lamps as apposed to the halogen ones they're replacing. Something like " I've used XXX transformer and it works fine fine with 6 Philips MR-16 LED bulbs when using dimmer YYYYY.

Hugh

Last edited:

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Thanks semiman,

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a specific transformer known to work with 50 or 60 watts of MR-16 LED lamps as apposed to the halogen ones they're replacing. Something like " I've used XXX transformer and it works fine fine with 6 Philips MR-16 LED bulbs when using dimmer YYYYY.

Hugh

http://www.ledwaves.com/Dimmable-LED-Power-Supply.html

I am presently using this transformer with 6x Philips 12V MR16 and it has run for two months so far (new installation) without issue.

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened