Need help choosing 6-9" flashlight for hiking

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post here after lurking for a while. I have tried looking up similar posts in my search for a flashlight, but I haven't found suggestions that meet my needs. I am an avid hiker and outdoors person, I am often gone so long that I hike at night through mountainous terrain. I am currently using a Zebralight headlamp. I would like a reliable back up flashlight that throws a beam farther than my Zebralight.

I am looking for:

An LED hand held flashlight

$100-$150

Removable and rechargeable batteries - prefer 18650 since that is what I use in my zebralight headlamp and would like battery interchangeability - I am using an Xtar VP2 charger, and Panasonic 3.7Li-ion 3400mah batteries that say "EVVA" at the top of the label that I purchased from mtnelectronics.

At least 700 lumens

A beam type that throws well and floods moderately well. More throwy than floody, but not one that only throws.

The longer run time the better, but I will carry spare batteries

Waterproof - shockproof

Variable output.

Also, thank you all for contributing to this forum. It has helped me a lot with making good purchasing decisions, as well as learning more about how different flashlights and batteries work.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600 III HI may fit your needs. It has the Zebralight UI you like. It also has good throw (much better than your headlamp) coupled with excellent spill.

It's very compact though... shorter than 6 inches. And I'm not sure how shockproof it is.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You have come to the right place.

But the General Discussion section is like going in Wal Mart through the garden section.

The big crowd of greeters for your requst awaits in the reccomend a light section.
If you see your thread has been moved, it likely went there.

I'm going to reccomend a light from Malkoff Devices.
Not one in particular except to say 'MD2' or 'Hound Dog'...realizing that they may not seem to meet your request but several hikers here swear by them.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh alright then, I was goung to say "Hound Dog" but then I always do. So I kept quiet.
Hound Dog MD4 takes 2 x 18650s. It's the only light you'll ever need, superdooper.
Check out flashlightguide.com for the review. Nufff said.
P

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually take my nitecore mh25 but that's been supplanted by the more feature rich mh27 an the more compact mh20

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You have come to the right place.

But the General Discussion section is like going in Wal Mart through the garden section.

The big crowd of greeters for your requst awaits in the reccomend a light section.
If you see your thread has been moved, it likely went there.

It's been moved.

Bill

parametrek

Enlightened
When you say variable output do you mean smooth, continuous infinitely variable? If so one model jumps to mind: the Nitecore STR6. It has a 260 meter throw and retails for $80. Only downside to this light is pretty bad runtime on moonlight (compared to your ZL anyway) but all infinitely variable lights seem to be like that.

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
I am really liking the Malkoff flashlights. It seems that they don't have the Hound Dog with an MD4 battery tube in stock right now. I guess ill have to call to order one in the configuration I want.

Also, what does "turnkey" mean? I see it listed on some of the flashlights.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog is a great suggestion, and one always comes camping with me.

The turnkey moniker refers to an MD2 that is complete, with head, body, tailcap, and LED drop-in. Gene sells each component separately, and also the complete body without a drop-in. Gene also sells flashlight kits, that include a battery and charger, which he calls turnkey.

Both cool and neutral versions of the MD4 Hound Dog appear in stock right now.

Last edited:

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
The Hound Dog is a great suggestion, and one always comes camping with me.

The turnkey moniker refers to an MD2 that is complete, with head, body, tailcap, and LED drop-in. Gene sells each component separately, and also the complete body without a drop-in. Gene also sells flashlight kits, that include a battery and charger, which he calls turnkey.

Both cool and neutral versions of the MD4 Hound Dog appear in stock right now.

Youre right, I'm not sure how I missed it.

Does the neutral version throw a light that will allow me to see the illuminated objects in more "realistic" color? As if the sun was shining on them during the day.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that was true. I have both the cool and neutral versions. Cool is great for looking at things in the distance, whereas I find the neutral more restful and suitable for closer - not close up - stuff.
I use the neutral in my back garden, actually it's a bit too bright for that, but I llike it. I use the cool ones for walking the dogs out on the fields. It's nice to point behind you when you get that cold tingly feeling on the back of your neck.
And don't forget you can swap heads around when you get the itch, Wildcat, MD2 with an M61SHO, all sorts.
P
Edit: Not forgetting the Hi Lo function by twisting the head. The Low setting provides more than enough light for a lot of tasks.

Last edited:

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll end up buying an MD2 and MD4 Hound Dog, both in neutral.

They look like great lights

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I might, I would suggest the MD2 in neutral, but the Hound Dog in cool, as many people find the cool version better for distance.

Just a thought.

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
I'll do an experiment with both light colors to see which is best for me. Ive been using the neutral ZL for a while.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

When buying the MD2 consider asking for the M361N drop-in, with the High/Low ring it'll give you six different output levels. Gene charged me an extra $5 to have my MD2 supplied with the 361.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When buying the MD2 consider asking for the M361N drop-in, with the High/Low ring it'll give you six different output levels. Gene charged me an extra $5 to have my MD2 supplied with the 361.

If you talk to Gene ask him what the approx output of the 361 when hi/lo ring is twisted to low.

With his conventional emitter with a hi/lo you get like 320/14 output.
So with it twisted to low 2 of the 3 settings of the 361 may be dimmer than you like....

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
After reading about the m361, I'll stick with the md2 18650 hound dog.

Latest posts