Need help on Quark "X" AA² and Quark AA², R5 Edition

CocoMonGo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys I need urgent help on these two lights before I go ordering them online soon.

What I like about the XM-L (on paper) over the XP-G is:
1. Better efficiency/lower power usage/brighter
2. Larger spill
3. Brighter (higher drive current)

However on 4seven's new XM-L Quarks compared to the XP-G:
1. Half the run times on moonlight and low
2. Overall drops in brightness output and runtimes

So my question is if the XM-L Quarks really less efficient at moonlight and low outputs or is the XP-G runtimes just over stated? Different testing methods maybe? Or was the driver tweaked for higher current output but sacrificed efficiency at moonlight and low?

I was really hoping(and expecting) the XM-L would bring better runtimes to the Quark lines of lights. At least 4sevens confirms the Quark "X" AA² can be used with a single alkaline cell with the right body.

Quark AA², R5 Edition OUtputs:
Moonlight: 0.2 OTF lumens for 30 days (1ma)
Low: 4 OTF lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 22 OTF lumens for 24 hours (50ma)
High: 85 OTF lumens for 5 hours (250ma)
Max: 205 OTF lumens for 1.3 hours (700ma)
Strobe: 205 OTF lumens for 2.5 hours
Beacon: 0-205 OTF lumens pulse for 18 hours

Quark "X" AA² OUtputs:
Moonlight: 0.3 OTF lumens for 15 days
Low: 2.7 OTF lumens for 3 days
Medium: 24 OTF lumens for 20 hours
High: 115 OTF lumens for 2.5 hours
Max: 280 OTF lumens for 0.8 hours
Strobe: 280 OTF lumens for 1.6 hours
SOS: 280 OTF lumens for 3 hours
Beacon: 0-280 OTF lumens pulse for 8 hours

USC

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I was really hoping somebody would comment on this.

I was going to order the R5 version, but the online store that I was going to use only has the "X" series now. I've tried to research it online and about the only thing I see is that the XM-L has a floodier beam and is supposed to be about 20% more efficient. That's why the runtimes confuse me so much. Especially the LOW mode. Less light and less runtime? Somebody please explain because that doesn't make any sense to me. Is there something about the XM-L that doesn't make it a particularly good choice in a 2xAA light? I know CR123's are stronger so I assume they can drive the light harder, but if 2xAA is the only option. Are there any physical characterstics inherent to the LED's that would make one a better choice than the other with 2xAA power cells?

I don't see where anybody has been complaining about the "X" series, so I guess thats good.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I received a Quark X AA-2 in the mail today. It is an awesome little flashlight. Huge beam, huge hot spot, plus it's just ridiculously bright. It's hot spot isn't quite as bright as the MAG XL200 (which is a narrow focus light with a long throw), but it tailstanding and bouncing off the ceiling, it lights up a room almost like daylight.

mmace1

Enlightened
I had the exact same questions as you:

But, if you check Selfbuilt's review of the Quark X AA^2, where he compares it against the XP-E R2 (He doesn't have an XP-G one) Quark AA^2, and a host of XP-G AAx2 lights, you see the XM-L is indeed in a higher class, especially at the higher levels.

Conclusion: 4sevens must have used different testing methodology on the XPG and XML Quark tests. Which wouldn't surprise me...I love their products and customer service, but their website is a bit haphazard in many ways.

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
For me, the main "feature/benefit" of the XM-L versions is that huge wide beam. For the vast majority of general purpose flashlight use (walking outside, around the house in a power failure, camping, fix-it projects, changing a flat tire at night, etc.) having a wide smooth area of coverage is just what you want. The fact that the higher outputs of the XM-L still allow a light that is very bright with good throw is the best of both worlds. If you want a narrow pencil beam that throws a mile, I'm sure there will be plenty of larger reflector XM-L lights, starting with the Quark Turbos. But, I wanted the wider floodier beam, especially because I already have a MAG XL200 that has a bright long throw XP-G beam (for a small pocket light).

discipletoo

Newly Enlightened
I'm also like a few others here. I've decided on the Quark AA2 and was set to get the R5 when I started seeing the X's. I'm still a little confused about which way to go and I haven't seen much from many of the members here on the X's. A little help would be very much appreciated. I'm a maintenance mechanic in a factory and I like the way the Quarks are set up with the modes. I'm still trying to decide also on Regular or Tactical. I like the recessed tail cap clicky on the regular, but I like that I can buy one and put it on the tactical as well. Feel free to offer suggestions and opinions. And I hope to see more from the more experienced members on the X's.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also like a few others here. I've decided on the Quark AA2 and was set to get the R5 when I started seeing the X's. I'm still a little confused about which way to go and I haven't seen much from many of the members here on the X's. A little help would be very much appreciated. I'm a maintenance mechanic in a factory and I like the way the Quarks are set up with the modes. I'm still trying to decide also on Regular or Tactical. I like the recessed tail cap clicky on the regular, but I like that I can buy one and put it on the tactical as well. Feel free to offer suggestions and opinions. And I hope to see more from the more experienced members on the X's.

I think hwc said it well. The Quark X AA2 is a general purpose light, and I like that it is more floody than my Quarks with the R5 LEDs & the R2 LEDs. The floodier beam in these new Quarks is just more useful. I got a couple of the Quark X AA2 NEUTRAL and man do I love em. On paper my Quarks with the R5 throw better, but since the new XM-L is brighter the throw looks about the same to my eyes. I like throwy lights, but for general purposes a floodier light is much more useful & easier on the eyes.

The new quarks with the XM-L's are more efficient at the higher levels (Turbo & High...as referenced by selfbuilt), but are not as efficient at the lower levels when compared to the R5 & R2 LEDs. The lower efficiency at the lower levels shouldn't pose any problems in real world uses though. What I mean is not many of us will ever get trapped in a well & need our moonlight mode to last 30 days rather than the 15 days that the XM-L lasts. Is it cool that the R5 lasts 30 days on moonlight --- no doubt, but how many of us have ever needed it? So I guess for my everyday uses I'll pack the XML Quark, and in my zombie post apocalyptic bag I'll pack the R5 Quarks.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference could be from testing method, but I think it more likely has something to do with the difference in the LED and/or driver. The XM-L might have a different forward voltage, or there might be a difference in the driver, or something else that I don't understand well and is generally over my head.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference could be from testing method, but I think it more likely has something to do with the difference in the LED .......

You are right. The Cree XM-L is more efficient than the XP-G R5 at the higher output levels (about 20%) and about the same efficiency at the lower levels. There is a cross-over point that might be equivalent to a medium or medium-low mode. From there down the R5 and XM-L is about the same or the R5 might be a little more efficient.........but it would be negligible. The big advantage of the XM-L is the beam pattern as stated with more flood and the better efficiency at higher output.

Take a look at run time graph and efficiencies of the Quark X AA compared against a couple other R5 AA lights I have
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2AA-(XM-L)-compared-against-some-XP-G-lights

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark X AA2 has a very large hotspot.

Left Quark X AA2 Neutral with XML, right Quark MiNi AA WARMS with XPG.
Quark-X-hotspot.jpg

It is very bright indoors. When doing a ceiling bounce it does not feel like a flashlight. More like I have turned the room light on
But outdoors a 50 lumen Terralux PR2 upgrade bulb in a 6V lantern (~30L OTF) can out throw it.