Need recommendations for pocket friendly 21700 thrower with minimal spill.

busseguy

Enlightened
I am looking for a pocket friendly 21700 thrower that will go at least 450 meters with very little spill (not interested in LEP's)

It must have a rear clicky switch with momentary and it would be great if you could tighten the head just for turbo and loosen for all the other modes.

Thanks in advance.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pocket size is relative i suppose, but that light does not currently exist.

You'll need a large reflector to reach that far.
A usable 450 meters is an advertised 800 meters.

Momentary will limit your selection even further

Also the smaller the light the more heat you'll have…so even if you find a pocket rocket it won't last long.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable in the pocket throw rocket niche, but this might be your best bet: WITH the W1 LED

I can build you a 21700 pocket thrower rocket but you'll need a reverse clicky to handle the current of a FET driver so there's no momentary.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight Warrior X 3

I looked that up just to see what it was, and noted that it appears to use (require?) a unique / bespoke power cell. I know many 'round here would rather eat dirt for dinner (dry dirt) than to use custom cells, but I'm not one of those. I own and use some myself. Just thought I'd mention it in case the OP is in that 'other' large group, they might want to check on and consider that.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light will have a pretty large amount of spill with a 5mx5m die. It uses a Luminus SFT70 LED. A lot more spill than throw.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you can visualize what a throwy LED looks like. the smaller the LED the more throw it will have. W1 is king of max throw and min spill
From left to right: SBT90.2, SFT40, Osram W1
D4459899-1C2A-4C05-BAF4-A852121A130E.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
am i right in the more the reflector size compared to led size makes more throw...im having issues putting my question in proper words

LEDphile

Enlightened
Assuming you have a target of 1 lux at that distance (will give a distance of half the FL-1 distance), you need about 200k candela. You aren't going to get that from an LED with less than about a 50mm optic. And that diameter optic is pushing the definition of "pocket friendly".

That said, a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 head on the 21700 body will give you about a third of a lux at 450m (which is about what you get under a full moon), in something that might still be considered pocket friendly and meet your other requirements.