new keychain light recommendations?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I've had this Fenix E05 2018 on my keys for a bunch of years. I like how small it is and how solid and reliable it is, but I'm wondering if there's any good upgrade options out there in terms of output and / or runtime?

Needs / wants:

- not bigger than my current Fenix
- good build quality, as keys get thrown around
- either AAA or rechargeable
- if rechargeable, it has to b USB-C
- 2-3 output levels preferred

Thanks CPF!

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I recently upgraded to the Maratac AAA from the Thrunite Ti3 V2. So far so good. This was recommended by several members.

I use it with a Energiser Lithium AAA.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an experience of one keychain flashlight, so take that for what's it's worth. But if cri isn't important to you, and for a AAA light I'd say output and runtime is more so, the olight i3e eos. It's a single mode twisty. So reliable and easy to use. Runs for 1 hour with a flat 110 lumens with an eneloop. Pretty good diffuse beam. Well made. But not good if you want modes and 110 lumens is pretty bright depending on your needs. I like mine though even though it really doesn't get used

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for pointing my attention to it. I see the new version has USB-C and a low mode, too, so I might give it a try
You're welcome. But what model are you referring to? Not the i3e. It's nimh/alkaline only and no room for a usb port. The i3e is specifically a one mode twisty. Maybe i3t? Olight naming is confusing

PaladinNO

Enlightened
If you're into a more square form factor, what about the Nitecore Tip SE?

The new Tip SE seems to tick all your boxes.
Very small form factor and multiple output modes. Integrated battery (personally not a fan of that, but I can see the need to make the light smaller), but with USB-C charging.

I've upgraded my keylight from an Energizer Hi-Tech keychain light, to a Nitecore Tube, and to my current Nitecore Tip SS (Stainless Steel).
Very happy with it. Been on my keychain for around 4 years now. There are some scratches, but nothing that has ever affected the performance.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've had the E05 for quite a while too, and it's been a solid dependable keychain light. I should have gotten a spare before it was discontinued.

However, I did pick up a Fenix E01 V2.0. It's the same size, but has a lower low, a higher high, and more overall runtime on all 3 settings (25 hr. over 15 hr. on low).

I don't really care for a light hanging off of my keys because I don't use it much, but I like to keep one hanging in my vehicle on a key ring with my post office box key, as a backup to other lights in my vehicle.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I've had the E05 for quite a while too, and it's been a solid dependable keychain light. I should have gotten a spare before it was discontinued.

Same here. Super reliable, never had any problems with it. It looks a bit beat up, had a blue one, which is now mostly silver, but I don't mind that - looks kind of cool, actually.

However, I did pick up a Fenix E01 V2.0. It's the same size, but has a lower low, a higher high, and more overall runtime on all 3 settings (25 hr. over 15 hr. on low).

Good to know - thanks. I wish it had the cross knurling of the E05, but I will probably still give it a try.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
If you're into a more square form factor, what about the Nitecore Tip SE?

Thanks. I just had a look at a bunch of these square Nitecore lights. They look very neat, but my keys are so small I think adding a square light would not make sense. If it was the car key, I'd go for it, but for 2 small house keys I think either sticking with AAA or maybe Nitecore Tipi would be the way to go.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Thanks. I have a 2xAA Maratac - great build quality and interface, so I'll consider the AAA for sure. Which AAA version did you get?
Hi Luke. Just the standard anodized model (REV5) from EDCgear.co.uk. The brass/copper one looks great but the finish would be damaged by the keys. I don't mind the anodizing wearing from day to day use. I like the fact that unlike my previous EDC, it comes on high rather than low at first.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
For USB-C I really like Roxyvon. I can't keep up with the letter codes, and there are a lot to choose from. I'd stick with aluminum since they are basically disposable once the batteries go, and they upgrade them every year.

I still like AAA though and use an older Prometheus Beta QRv2 as its one of the few Neutral High CRI AAA lights. However the aluminum is out of production and the Ti is hard to get and pricey.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this Fenix E05 2018 on my keys for a bunch of years. I like how small it is and how solid and reliable it is, but I'm wondering if there's any good upgrade options out there in terms of output and / or runtime?

Needs / wants:

- not bigger than my current Fenix
- good build quality, as keys get thrown around
- either AAA or rechargeable
- if rechargeable, it has to b USB-C
- 2-3 output levels preferred

Thanks CPF!
The only correct answer is Peak LED Ultra Eiger. If you need smaller then get the regular Eiger.

Made in Merica. Built like a tank, will be passed down for 100 generations. Takes AAA and 10440

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
For USB-C I really like Roxyvon. I can't keep up with the letter codes, and there are a lot to choose from. I'd stick with aluminum since they are basically disposable once the batteries go, and they upgrade them every year.

I still like AAA though and use an older Prometheus Beta QRv2 as its one of the few Neutral High CRI AAA lights. However the aluminum is out of production and the Ti is hard to get and pricey.
Thanks - looking into those now!

And I hear you on the naming and numbering of lights and models. Seems like only 1 in 32 companies can get it roughly right :)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Early last Summer I clipped one of these on my key ring, and soon came to consider it to be, by quite a large margin, the best thing I've ever clipped on a key ring. After >6 months, I'm still convinced of that. It's an exraordinarily good design for a key ring light. Not to say I know what I'm doing, but I couldn't have designed it better myself.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Early last Summer I clipped one of these on my key ring, and soon came to consider it to be, by quite a large margin, the best thing I've ever clipped on a key ring. After >6 months, I'm still convinced of that. It's an exraordinarily good design for a key ring light. Not to say I know what I'm doing, but I couldn't have designed it better myself.

huh, just came here to suggest this :) it's microusb, not type-c, but it's very sturdy, and is - in my opinion - one of the best keychain lights out there