M600 scout recommendations

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
Didn't bother with the recommendation template because I figured the options to already be fairly narrow.

Looking for recommendations on an m600 build that will attach to my 14.5 BCM recce. Currently, I have a streamlight hlx 1000 lumen on it, which will likely be moved onto the other rifle, and be replaced with this m600.
I was hoping to piece one together for $200-$250, while maintaining decent quality. From the little I've seen so far, Ariska seems like a good option.
I'm not going to be super picky as far as beam pattern, willing to take advice and hear options.
Really leaning towards a remote switch, but also considering a clicky.
Arguably, the most important feature I'm looking for is rechargeable li-ion compatibility and would also like the option of using cr123 as a backup.

Also, I did just pick up a surefire E2D 500 lumen and am curious if this can be converted into a decent weapon light, that can use rechargable li-ion, without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_153747.jpg
    IMG_20230708_153747.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20230717_181012.jpg
    IMG_20230717_181012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't bother with the recommendation template because I figured the options to already be fairly narrow.

Looking for recommendations on an m600 build that will attach to my 14.5 BCM recce. Currently, I have a streamlight hlx 1000 lumen on it, which will likely be moved onto the other rifle, and be replaced with this m600.
I was hoping to piece one together for $200-$250, while maintaining decent quality. From the little I've seen so far, Ariska seems like a good option.
I'm not going to be super picky as far as beam pattern, willing to take advice and hear options.
Really leaning towards a remote switch, but also considering a clicky.
Arguably, the most important feature I'm looking for is rechargeable li-ion compatibility and would also like the option of using cr123 as a backup.

Also, I did just pick up a surefire E2D 500 lumen and am curious if this can be converted into a decent weapon light, that can use rechargable li-ion, without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance
Can't speak to the E2D.

I'm just going to toss this FYI over the wall, and if it happens interests to interest you, feel free to reach down and pick it up to look at it.

This may be completely inappropriate for your requirements.

I'll merely point out that if I were about to light one of my ARs (neither of which is lighted, and I'm not necessarily planning to soon), I would at least give this a glance. It's a fairly recent product release. It does use a Streamlight-specific (optimized for the light / charging setup) cell of ~21700 form factor Li-ion you'd have to source from them, and if those cells are anywhere near as good / reliable as those in my Strions, I'd gladly take 'em.

Go to the 'Documentation +' and open that for the good info, w/ the 'Fact Sheet' being the best raw data dump.

Feel free to ignore this. Just thought I'd let you know this fairly recent release exists now, and that I might personally consider it myself if the time comes.

EDIT: Just noted the CR123A backup comment, and I don't think this offers that option. This light probably needs a little more juice than those could provide.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
Can't speak to the E2D.

I'm just going to toss this FYI over the wall, and if it happens interests to interest you, feel free to reach down and pick it up to look at it.

This may be completely inappropriate for your requirements.

I'll merely point out that if I were about to light one of my ARs (neither of which is lighted, and I'm not necessarily planning to soon), I would at least give this a glance. It's a fairly recent product release. It does use a Streamlight-specific (optimized for the light / charging setup) cell of ~21700 form factor Li-ion you'd have to source from them, and if those cells are anywhere near as good / reliable as those in my Strions, I'd gladly take 'em.

Go to the 'Documentation +' and open that for the good info, w/ the 'Fact Sheet' being the best raw data dump.

Feel free to ignore this. Just thought I'd let you know this fairly recent release exists now, and that I might personally consider it myself if the time comes.

All opinions are appreciated. The main reason for the move to m600 vs the streamlight is weight and size. I have no real complaints about the hlx that is on it, I picked it up for less than $100 and it's a great light, especially for the $, but it is also decently more bulky.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I'm confused as to what you want.

The M600U is a SureFire Scout Light Weapon light. It is designed to be mounted on a rifle, such as your AR-15 platform. If that is the service that you want, that is what you should get for a light. The E2D is not a weapon mount designed light, and it will not have the beam pattern you want for a rifle, which is narrow and far reaching.

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm confused as to what you want.

The M600U is a SureFire Scout Light Weapon light. It is designed to be mounted on a rifle, such as your AR-15 platform. If that is the service that you want, that is what you should get for a light. The E2D is not a weapon mount designed light, and it will not have the beam pattern you want for a rifle, which is narrow and far reaching.
This is why I said 'convert'.
I am particularly asking about m600 custom builds / assembly, from different manufacturers such as malkoff, modlite, Ariska, ect.

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
I suppose the OP could use LFP123s in that Scout to meet the rechargeable li-ion requirement(?).
Not looking to use rechargable 123's as a primary fuel source. I'm looking to use something more along the lines of 16650, 18650, ect. Cr123 compatibility would strictly be for backup use, long storage capabilities.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not looking to use rechargable 123's as a primary fuel source. I'm looking to use something more along the lines of 16650, 18650, ect. Cr123 compatibility would strictly be for backup use, long storage capabilities.
Yeah, I didn't think you were. I shouldn't have posted that as a reply to your post. I just noted that the referenced M600U I just looked up is designed around those, and was mentioned in another post as well. The light I referenced however is designed around Li-ion, of roughly 21700 type (the latest darling of the flashlight world which I have no lights that use). I'd want Li-ion for sure if it was me. That's the way forward, and apparently 21700 is the current performance standard in the buzz I read / new lights I see(?).

I'm not familiar with some of those other names, but you probably already have a good idea what you want. As you were.

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I didn't think you were. I shouldn't have posted that as a reply to your post. I just noted that the referenced M600U I just looked up is designed around those, and was mentioned in another post as well. The light I referenced however is designed around Li-ion, of roughly 21700 type (the latest darling of the flashlight world which I have no lights that use). I'd want Li-ion for sure if it was me. That's the way forward, and apparently 21700 is the current performance standard in the buzz I read / new lights I see(?).

I'm not familiar with some of those other names, but you probably already have a good idea what you want. As you were.

I'm not sure about the size of the 21700, if it could be used in this application and still keep a relatively small package. If so, I'd be interested.
I do have an idea of what I'm looking for but I have no experience with all the different options, or any of them for that matter. That's why I'm here.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2D is 2 stage and you don't want that. No way to convert it to single stage

You want an M600 body paired with a Malkoff M600 single output head or Malkoff E2HT. You can run 16650 li-ions or two CR123 as a backup. I recommend the Surefire pressure switch with a Cloud Defense LCS. When it comes to your life, don't go cheap on your rifle.

Here is one of my builds, this has the Streamlight HLX with Cloud Defense LCS, awesome for use on pressure switches and cable management

IMG_4055.jpeg

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If duty as in self defense duty, then yes, duty. No weapons are play toys. Fun, maybe.
Okay, that's what I wanted to know, whether this was for serious business or play. I consider competition shooting and plinking as "play", because to me, no one's life is at risk if the safety rules are adhered to.

Now this is my personal opinion, and I'm not telling you what to do, okay?

In my opinion, I would stick with stock weapon lights, for more than one reason. 1. Professionals have already done a lot of R&D to develop this weapon light, 2. Many professional gunfighters, LE and military, bet their lives and the lives of their brothers in arms and the public, on the performance of these lights, 3. If I am involved in a self-defense shooting with my rifle, and I have some frankenlite for a weapon light, the prosecution may use that against me. I don't know how, but lawyers are clever, and they can make a mountain out of a mole hill, to the point that experts like Massad Ayoob councils against using reloaded ammo in self defense weapons, and a highly modified weapon can also be subject to exploitation by the prosecution. A modded weapon light may or may not be a factor in the prosecution, but I'm not going to give a prosecutor any ammo to use against me.

You do as you see fit. Just giving you my thoughts on the matter. :) I don't want to see anyone get in trouble.

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
E2D is 2 stage and you don't want that. No way to convert it to single stage

You want an M600 body paired with a Malkoff M600 single output head or Malkoff E2HT. You can run 16650 li-ions or two CR123 as a backup. I recommend the Surefire pressure switch with a Cloud Defense LCS. When it comes to your life, don't go cheap on your rifle.

Here is one of my builds, this has the Streamlight HLX with Cloud Defense LCS, awesome for use on pressure switches and cable management

View attachment 46388
Any particular body(s) that you would recommend?

I like to zip tie my pressure pads straight to the rail. For me, it allows for a more natural grip while actuating the pad. Just less bulky in general.

GunRelated

Newly Enlightened
Okay, that's what I wanted to know, whether this was for serious business or play. I consider competition shooting and plinking as "play", because to me, no one's life is at risk if the safety rules are adhered to.

Now this is my personal opinion, and I'm not telling you what to do, okay?

In my opinion, I would stick with stock weapon lights, for more than one reason. 1. Professionals have already done a lot of R&D to develop this weapon light, 2. Many professional gunfighters, LE and military, bet their lives and the lives of their brothers in arms and the public, on the performance of these lights, 3. If I am involved in a self-defense shooting with my rifle, and I have some frankenlite for a weapon light, the prosecution may use that against me. I don't know how, but lawyers are clever, and they can make a mountain out of a mole hill, to the point that experts like Massad Ayoob councils against using reloaded ammo in self defense weapons, and a highly modified weapon can also be subject to exploitation by the prosecution. A modded weapon light may or may not be a factor in the prosecution, but I'm not going to give a prosecutor any ammo to use against me.

You do as you see fit. Just giving you my thoughts on the matter. :) I don't want to see anyone get in trouble.
I've seen this argument used against modifying the weapon itself, and I can agree that it makes sense, but, for a flashlight? I'll take my chances.