Neutral White

jb123

Newly Enlightened
I currently own a Fenix E16. I find the neutral white light output colour tone much better on my eyes for activites such as camping than a lot of white torches. I also own a Fenix PD35 Tactical which I much prefer for its size, power output and battery life. If this had the same neutral output as the E16 it would be perfect for my needs. Question is, is there a torch similar to the PD35 but with a warmer light output. I am open to suggestions from all manufactures and I have a budget of $100 or less.

This Eagletac TX3L is the sort of thing that I had in mind. Can't find a review or see any pics of the beam. What is the build quality of Eagtac?

Last edited:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I currently own a Fenix E16. I find the neutral white light output colour tone much better on my eyes for activites such as camping than a lot of white torches. I also own a Fenix PD35 Tactical which I much prefer for its size, power output and battery life. If this had the same neutral output as the E16 it would be perfect for my needs. Question is, is there a torch similar to the PD35 but with a warmer light output. I am open to suggestions from all manufactures and I have a budget of $100 or less.

Perhaps consider a DIY build: a Seraph SP-6 body+head+bezel+tail, plus a Malkoff M361N lo-med-hi drop-in. Under $20 for the body+head+tail, and under $70 for the drop-in, plus shipping.

Malkoff M361N li-Ion drop-in module, 4000K 95CRI, fully potted, low-medium-high modes (20/90/450 lumens):

If you find that the Malkoff neutral color level is still a bit too white to your eyes, they do have other modules (the M61's) that are offered in Warm variants.

I've got several of the Malkoff M61 drop-ins, in the Neutral and Warm flavors. Fairly bright, well-focused light, and very well-made. Don't yet have one of the M361N 3-way modules, but the 4000K 95CRI spec is tempting.

jb123

Newly Enlightened
Offhand, thrunite TN12, and TC15, a number of Eagtac lights, and Convoy lights M1 and S2+ lights can be had with Neutral white LEDs.
Thanks I will research some of those.

jb123

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps consider a DIY build: a Seraph SP-6 body+head+bezel+tail, plus a Malkoff M361N lo-med-hi drop-in. Under $20 for the body+head+tail, and under $70 for the drop-in, plus shipping.

Malkoff M361N li-Ion drop-in module, 4000K 95CRI, fully potted, low-medium-high modes (20/90/450 lumens):

If you find that the Malkoff neutral color level is still a bit too white to your eyes, they do have other modules (the M61's) that are offered in Warm variants.

I've got several of the Malkoff M61 drop-ins, in the Neutral and Warm flavors. Fairly bright, well-focused light, and very well-made. Don't yet have one of the M361N 3-way modules, but the 4000K 95CRI spec is tempting.

Thanks. I didn't know you could build your own, However I forgot to mention I am UK based and not willing to ship from abroad, so needs to be available in the UK.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Horrendous shipping on the Serpah though. $17.50 on an $18.50 host.

Sure. One-off purchases get stung on shipping. But if one knows what is wanted, and more than a handful of items are ordered, it's not egregious. Few retailers have Amazon.com's "pull" (back-room deals) with the shippers, of course.

So, yes, for someone uncertain if a single item is going to be of value, it's probably not the ideal choice. At least, from a shipping-price perspective. Still, the combination I mentioned is one of a handful of sub-$100 options that'd get the job done ... and end up with a superior, high-CRI LED module to boot.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy S2+ with a 519a is $22

I wouldn't pay more for any chinese import light. A $70-80 chinese light has the same performance and build quality as a $22 one.

If you want to get a host + a USA made Malkoff dropin then you just cannot beat this host for $15 with free shipping

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wow a difference of opinion with kernel.
Our 12 year old son got to use a 519a Convoy S2+ and after a couple months of dropping and such it will go off then back on, or go to high setting on its own. Could be cold temperatures are making it unreliable but…

One is reminded of the 70's when American steel was largely putting out 70,000 mile vehicles while the Japanese produced double or more long term reliability, without the obnoxious component failures along the way. More and more people saw that it was cheaper and less hassle to buy foreign even though buying American is the right thing to do. Thinking that was the reason USA car manufacturers stepped up their game to survive.

A $40-$80 flashlight from Asia can be a very decent flashlight, with innovation and performance. Can't say long term durability because most are such recent models, and there is more to go wrong. I have maybe 4 Eagtac flashlights and all are good plus was able to get nice LED's in them.

Fraz Labs is American made. Very excellent and worth the price if you can get one. We will see on long term reliability.

Hopefully the thread starter here can try out different emitters. The Convoy C8 has been good to us, with nice throw. Then when a certain color temperature has become preferred, maybe something like a Malkoff can be ordered?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I didn't know you could build your own, However I forgot to mention I am UK based and not willing to ship from abroad, so needs to be available in the UK.
You are massively restricting options to UK retailers. You might have to wait a 2-3 weeks for shipping from China. But there are lots and lots of options.

I'm not familiar with the Fenix you mention. It looks like a very small 16340 light. Not so many of lights this size with nice emitters. But if you don't mind trying an 18650 light, you'll get massively longer runtimes.

This one comes with a battery (you'll still need a charger).

Go for 4000 or 4500k with the 519A emitter.

It doesn't come with a pocket clip, but you can get them extra.