New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyrunnr

Newly Enlightened
has anyone tried to remove the Cree for use in another light?

Kinda sorta. Really just pulled it all apart, hacked it to 1/3 the size and put it back together with a PWM dimmer and an external source- for a bike light.

husky4w010.jpg

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the beam a little tight for a bicycle light? One would think a bit less throw and more spill would be better...

huskyrunnr

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure you're right, I'm guessing that tight a beam would make you nauseous on a bike. Really what I'm using it for is for training sled dogs at night, on a dog cart or sled (hence 'huskyrunnr'). I called it a bike light because that is more familiar to this crowd. With a long string of dogs, throw is everything, spill, not so important. You want to see well past the lead dog. I was hoping for a helmet mount but I think this is just too bulky for that. I may still try it though. For a concrete comparison, my PT Apex just barely cuts it for running dogs.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Not available at the Canadian Home Depot you say? Pity!

At least they don't show up on the computer. Whew!! Saved by the border. Now if they impose trade barriers from the US and China...I'll be rich!!! Live in the dark but I'll be rich!!

Sounds like a great by the bed light. Would light up my back yard just fine.

Pat

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda sorta. Really just pulled it all apart, hacked it to 1/3 the size and put it back together with a PWM dimmer and an external source- for a bike light.

husky4w010.jpg

Do you think we can get some beamshots of this beast in action? That's some really impressive work you did there!

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
in my local HD, they have a sign that says to ask the associate for this item. i'm guessing they had alot of buy/returns :grin2:

Usually when I see a sign like that, it indicates that they are keeping the item under better stock control (i.e. locked up) because it is so popular for being stolen.

At my local HD, I went in about 2 weeks ago and they had maybe 7 or 8 of them on the rack. When I went back there was only 1 and it had an off-center led so I didn't purchase it.

huskyrunnr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words. I'm new at this and I'm sure this is not as good as it could be. For one thing, I'm using a linear regulator rather than a buck.

So, I'm pulsing something over 1 A into the emitter at 1 kHz. At 50% duty cycle, the hotspots from modded and stock look the same in brightness. At 75% duty cycle, the hotspot from the modded looks only incrementally brighter, perhaps about 10%. Anything more than 75% duty cycle and I cannot detect an increase in brightness. Here are the beams side by side with 75% duty cycle on the modded.

One thing I notice is the difference in color. The modded looks more bluish while the stock looks green. I don't know if that is because of the higher current the emitter is getting or if it is just variation in individual emitters, as others have seen. I hopped up a Husky 3W headlamp today, and saw the same thing: hopped up is blue, stock is green.

husky4w.jpg

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's often been observed that white LEDs go greenish at lower currents. My sample of the Coleman MAX headlamp also goes greenish at the low setting.

huskyrunnr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr. Happy, good to know it was not a figment...

I forgot to say, modded is the beam on the left. I'm not sure how to do beamshots that say anything. My son thought the right beam was brighter, looking at the photo, but in real-time I can assure you the left was. Maybe more distance? Still learning here.

Nice thing about PWM is that it does not change color as you dim it.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually when I see a sign like that, it indicates that they are keeping the item under better stock control (i.e. locked up) because it is so popular for being stolen.

At my local HD, I went in about 2 weeks ago and they had maybe 7 or 8 of them on the rack. When I went back there was only 1 and it had an off-center led so I didn't purchase it.

definitely a possibility.
this sign was at a higher income location.
the reason i thought my way was because the lower income area HD had them on the shelves. that HD has a guard that checks all receipts=high theft store. i guess it's still a possibility though.

i guess there's high demand now, not only cpf's but fatwalleters..

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
That HD has a guard that checks all receipts=high theft store.

Which, by the way, you have every right to refuse to present the receipt. If there's no line at such a store and my receipt is still in my hands, I may let them glance at it if I'm not in a hurry. But, long line, and I just sail by. If they protest, just ask them if they are accusing you of theft, and if not, tell them there is no law or contract with the store which requires you to present a receipt. Exceptions would be Costco and possibly other warehouse clubs. By signing on the dotted line for membership, you agree to present your receipt at the door.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Which, by the way, you have every right to refuse to present the receipt.

+1 :twothumbs

I do the same thing. I wish more people would. I walk right past the sheeple lined up to have a guard scribble on their receipts.

<soapbox>
If the guards suspect someone of theft, then stop them. Otherwise consider them to be a paying customer and treat them with the respect they deserve. Don't bark out orders to see their receipt without just cause. It's a pet peeve of mine after working retail many years ago. Customers are the ultimate boss and pay the salaries - treat them properly and they'll come back. Thieves should be dealt with harshly. Don't mix up the two.
</soapbox>

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
+1 :twothumbs

I do the same thing. I wish more people would. I walk right past the sheeple lined up to have a guard scribble on their receipts.

<soapbox>
If the guards suspect someone of theft, then stop them. Otherwise consider them to be a paying customer and treat them with the respect they deserve. Don't bark out orders to see their receipt without just cause. It's a pet peeve of mine after working retail many years ago. Customers are the ultimate boss and pay the salaries - treat them properly and they'll come back. Thieves should be dealt with harshly. Don't mix up the two.
</soapbox>

I am the same way. Really drives the WalMart droids nuts!

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up last night, and I was very happy with the light. It's bigger than what I expected, but it throws a TON. Very good deal for a back yard/camping/what's that thing going bump in the night kind of light.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I picked up one of these today at Home depot. Had to hunt for a while and finally asked a helpful young lady who knew exactly where they were. They had three left and out of the three, I found one that had a perfectly centered emitter. I also noticed that they were marked $24.97 which means that they have gone to "closeout" status so if you want one, you'd better hurry. I opened mine up in the car and noticed that the spring inside the end cap had popped loose but I was able to get it back in place with a screwdriver. This thing kind of reminds me of the old "a mule is a horse designed by a committee" saying I've heard all my life. It isn't the prettiest flashlight I've ever seen but it kind of grows on you after a while. One thing is for certain though, if you find yourself in a situation where you have to defend yourself, a couple of hits with that scalloped bezel is definitely going to get your attacker's attention. This thing is heavy enough and that bezel is sharp enough to really do some damage. I haven't had a chance to test it out in the dark yet but just from what I've seen shining it around in the house, it's extremely bright. Hope to have some fun with it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.