New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought 24.97 was the regular price. I didn't think it was on closeout. However, I did see a number of other Husky lights that were marked on sale.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
When I used to work at Sears, "97" in the cents indicated that an item was a closeout and when the stores supply ran out, there would be no more. Home Depot probably uses the same code.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
When I called to check availability at my local HD last week, the rep said the computer only shows 2 in stock, but more have been ordered. The price was $24.97.

Could "order" mean that are moving them from stores that have them to stores where they are selling out? Maybe... but not likely?

Anyway, I got two (from a different store, though). They throw like my Streamlight Ultrastinger or Terralux'ed 4D Mag, but are much brighter than the Mag, and smaller too, which makes it a nice flashlight for keeping in my backpack. Both are yellow-y, one slightly more than the other, but the emitters are centered enough that the rings don't bother me.

Oh! Could we come up with a good name/nickname to refer to this light? "The Husky 2D / 4W / 200 Lumen" takes up too much room in my sig.

Last edited:

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Many times a store will put in an order for an item that is selling well at their store and inventory for the order will be pulled from as store where the item is not selling well. It's also possible that they may still have some in their distribution center but aren't going to re-order after these are gone.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Oh! Could we come up with a good name/nickname to refer to this light? "The Husky 2D / 4W / 200 Lumen" takes up too much room in my sig.[/quote said:
How about the "HD Masterblaster"?

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Oh! Could we come up with a good name/nickname to refer to this light? "The Husky 2D / 4W / 200 Lumen" takes up too much room in my sig.

How 'bout The Husky Pug. Sums it up nicely.

I purchased one for $24.97 as well. Had to look through them to find one with a well-centered emitter. Thanks to the posters who tipped us on that. A few of them were way off-center.

This light does have a very tight beam and excellent throw. It does not put out nearly as much light as my Malkoff 3D drop-in, but is a great light for my kid to take camping with them. There is no way they're taking my Malkoff Mag.

optodoofus

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any trick to making the switch easier to feel/find in the dark? I painted the end glossy black. Improved the looks tremendously.

You really shouldn't have a problem finding the switch. It sits directly above the flat portion of the light with the Husky name on it. I just place my thumb on the flat and move it forward to the switch. What could be simpler?

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
My father and my brother each live in houses on fairly large lots in dark areas. I know that neither of them has a good light that can illuminate any area of the property from any other point. I think these would make great gifts for them

I bought two more of these, and tested them. The switches on both are so hard to press that there's no way pop could do it with his arthritis. My bro will probably be okay with it. So one goes back.

Maybe a Task Force 2C for pop? I finally got myself one and it's not bad at all.

I guess the price of a cheap thrower is WILDLY inconsistent quality control. I can't spend my time and gas playing HD Lotto to find a softer switch.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two more of these, and tested them. The switches on both are so hard to press that there's no way pop could do it with his arthritis. My bro will probably be okay with it. So one goes back.

Maybe a Task Force 2C for pop? I finally got myself one and it's not bad at all.

I guess the price of a cheap thrower is WILDLY inconsistent quality control. I can't spend my time and gas playing HD Lotto to find a softer switch.

I agree with you about the lousy quality control. I have gone through at least a half a dozen before I found one with both a good, easy to operate switch and a good beam. If you are patient enough or lucky enough you can get a good one, but I wouldn't wait long to look. Why? I would be very suprised if this light stays in the Home Depot catalog long, in spite of the instant popularity this forum has created for the light. Because of all the returns that the members of this forum are doing, I can't imagine Home Depot won't begin to wonder if it is worth all the trouble to carry this item.

litemup

Newly Enlightened
I also paid 29 and change at the HD in Manchester, TN. I just picked one up on my way home from work, got it for the better half.:laughing: Seriously, I did get it for her. An early Christmas present. It will be her, take the dogs potty at night light. This light is very bright for 29 bucks. A nice white hot spot and useable spill. Can't wait to try it out at tonight - with the wife's permission that is.:sssh::D Not the best of quality, but for the money, it works well... I want to see how bright this Husky is, compared to my 6 D cell led maglite.

Litemup

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you about the lousy quality control. I have gone through at least a half a dozen before I found one with both a good, easy to operate switch and a good beam. If you are patient enough or lucky enough you can get a good one, but I wouldn't wait long to look. Why? I would be very suprised if this light stays in the Home Depot catalog long, in spite of the instant popularity this forum has created for the light. Because of all the returns that the members of this forum are doing, I can't imagine Home Depot won't begin to wonder if it is worth all the trouble to carry this item.

I hope the quality will improve before they discontinue, I am still looking for the perfect light! I've been exchanging one a week for a month now every time I am in a vicinity of Home Depot, now I have two decent ones, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
I kept the first one I got. The switch is good enough for me, the hotspot is just ever-so-slightly off center, just slightly greenish... and the throw lives up to the hype. And yet it's still a clunky, unattractive package that doesn't have the polished appearance that I'd like to see in a gift that I am giving. Without getting into anything exotic, I think the Task Force 2C comes closer in its price range. It's just novel enough for anyone who has been raised on Maglights (and probably has one under their bed) to see it as interesting and useful. It (the TF 2C) will probably out-throw anything else the average person has on hand, so I think it would be welcomed.

Or is there another thrower of a light in the same or slightly higher price range that's more attractive as a gift, but low-maintenance enough for a regular person? (And isn't this just a re-wording of a thousand other similar questions on this forum?)

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I got this light about a month ago. I have been happy with it other than the inside stinks.

Yesterday I went to use it and found it only worked in momentary. Even when I clicked the switch it would go off when released. Then even the momentary got flakey.

I read earlier in this thread someone had a problem with the switch and solved it by cycling the switch. I cycled the switch for about 3 minutes and proper operation finally returned.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any thoughts as to the longevity of the switch? Maybe the stink I smell inside is somehow coating the switch contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.