*new* Fenix CL20: portable camping light with neutral white and red leds

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *new* Fenix CL20: portable camping light with neutral white and red led

So far I see, you can load 3 batts together...but you should not do that :)
I doubt it. With a CR123 installed, the AA's would be physically blocked.

kj75

Enlightened

I doubt it. With a CR123 installed, the AA's would be physically blocked.

I got this from Fenix:

do not load CR123A battery and AA batteries at the same time

yowzer

Enlightened

9 leds and only 165 lumens? I expect more from Fenix than a showerhead under a diffuser... At least they're neutral white.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

9 leds and only 165 lumens? I expect more from Fenix than a showerhead under a diffuser... At least they're neutral white.

Why? Who cares what the LED configuration is, since it's under a diffuser and invisible? 165 lumens is plenty bright enough for camping, and more would just eat through the batteries faster. If you need more diffuse lumens than 165, you should probably be using a light with a hot spot and higher lux.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

The whole point of a light like this is dispersion of light evenly and with more emitters possibly bouncing light in different directions that can happen better than a single larger emitter in the center. I don't know about this light, but with a lot of lanterns it makes sense. In the Streamlight Seige lantern you have 4 leds off more towards the edges and this allows the light to hit the center reflective cone and bounce outward and also directly outward from the emitters. This equates to more even lighting up and down instead of directly horizontal out of the light. The led's in this light might be smaller less powerful leds pointed in different directions to achieve an area lighting effect. Otherwise just hang a flashlight in your tent. This is small and lightweight though.

It would be interesting to see one of these cracked open towards the emitter side.

kj75

Enlightened

Some more specs:

- Turbo 165 lumens
- High 100 lumens
- Mid 50 lumens
- Low 8 lumens
- Red light 1,5 lumens
- SOS-mode
- Distance: 10 meters
- Waterproof according to IPX-6

phosphor

Enlightened

Why? Who cares what the LED configuration is, since it's under a diffuser and invisible? 165 lumens is plenty bright enough for camping, and more would just eat through the batteries faster. If you need more diffuse lumens than 165, you should probably be using a light with a hot spot and higher lux.
Exactly; it's a personal "area" light for camping not a something designed to light-up downtown Denver.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take a look at this pic, now we understand...;)

CL20battery.jpg

Some more specs:

- uses 9 neutral white and 2 red leds
- has a magnetic part on the bottom of the battery case :twothumbs

You may not load different batteries at the same time, I think most of us understand that ;)

I got this from Fenix:

do not load CR123A battery and AA batteries at the same time

hahaha we all know someone IS going to do exactly that though.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is the price on this? Any info?

BloodLust

Enlightened
Yay! A Fenix dedicated lantern!
I was looking for a true lantern that's small and a decent build so I don't have to keep using my LD10 with the wand diffuser all the time.
If the price is about $30 give or take, I'm up for it. Better if less. Hopefully not more.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay! A Fenix dedicated lantern!
I was looking for a true lantern that's small and a decent build so I don't have to keep using my LD10 with the wand diffuser all the time.
If the price is about $30 give or take, I'm up for it. Better if less. Hopefully not more.

LOL yes it IS a lantern... but just not the lantern I would have expected them to make. Hopefully this is just their first foray into the lantern world. Oh I can already imagine what they could do with an 18650 format lantern...

DaveG

Enlightened
Looks good to me for a small multi use lantern.Might be usefull for working on the car at night also.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this would finally be the ultimate tent light but it miss the main function I'm looking for: firefly mode. My daughter loves camping but she need at least to see a bit of light. 8 lumens is too much light to sleep with, especially with a tent that's rather low, she will be blinded.

Love the idea, nice design, seems like decent quality but I just can't figure why there is no option for a very long running dim light. something like 0,5 lumens.