*NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,1000 lumens

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starting out tonight with the new TAC. Will add shots from the other 35 tomorrow and possibly shots from my other XP-L V5 lights for comparison. Still just have the back yard and my house to work with. So here is the TAC on full blast. Edit to add that the light is much brighter in person.
IMG_01501_zpstzl3gxaz.jpg
IMG_01491_zpsueytgat4.jpg
IMG_01471_zpsvk5iktpr.jpg
IMG_01521_zpsrfxslinl.jpg
IMG_01531_zps3nk3kuua.jpg

Looking down the TAC on full blast
IMG_01461_zpsfyv3zoz6.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the TAC is searingly bright. Its hard to find the side switch in the dark. The tactical mode really does seem a perfect set up for night ops. The most accessible tail switch in the 35 series so far. Gets hot pretty quick. Strobe is devastating. For general use I am still preferring the UC35 for now as the TAC beam does indeed throw further but the end result is a thinner beam profile. TAC still has a larger than normal hot spot its just not big and fat like the UC/PD35. Im a huge fan of the UC35 I feel its the best light in the category due to its output and superior heat sinking with all that extra metal behind the reflector. Am going to EDC the TAC for a few days see how it does. A worthy addition to the 35 family. In hand feel is high quality. Regulation is excellent. I dont have any measuring tools to show it but I see full blast going past 5 minutes before any visually noticeable change even begins to take effect. Build quality of my TAC is dead on perfect. If you need a truly dedicated tactical light(all you nightwalkers/joggers etc)this thing nails it to the wall. Two instant clicks to strobe through a switch you cant miss under duress and in the dark.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot look at the strobe long enough to tell weather its a steady frequency or a fast-slow-fast deal. This is THE strobe master of the class. I live along a dangerous stretch of highway and frequently find myself in bad surroundings. Busting out the mega strobe on the TAC could come in handy. More pics tomorrow.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you CC.

Looks like a similar hot spot with slightly less spill, I like that.
Cone of light.

Looking forward to versus, thanks.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice beam CC74. Starting to like it even though I have yet to receive mine. Just a quick question. On tactical mode does the light reset back to high every time after switching it off for a couple of seconds, or does it cycle to the next output? I understand there is mode memory on the outdoors mode, but is there mode memory on tactical as well? I am intending to use this light more of as a fill in EDC role for power whereas the HDS would handle all other low power needs so I would want it to come on in max output every time unless I change it.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh they could have been better. Looks like its going to rain all day today. Was going to take UC35 shots for comparison....also need to note that my neat yet cheap little Canon just cant seem to handle how bright these lights are. The TAC is actually much brighter in person than they are in my pics

rb765

Newly Enlightened
momentary turbo? All you gotta do with the PD35 is half press the tail switch for momentary on

Half press will get you whatever level it is set for. I like keeping mine on medium which works fine for most tasks. However, the new light let's you do a momentary turbo which is nice to use on Mr Badguy to let him know you mean business. Also, a quick hit of 1000 lumens let's you change position and draw before they re-orientate.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
waiting for camera battery to charge to take UC35 comparison shots....charged,
IMG_0172_zpss37z6zzz.jpg
IMG_0170_zpsvpvyzyv8.jpg

pics came out terrible the light is far far brighter in person

Last edited:

BossAholic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for taking these pics. How noticeable is the tint difference, if any, between the uc35 xml2 vs the XPL led in the pd35 Tac?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
pretty noticeable actually. The TAC has a purple leaning white tint as the UC35 seems NW in comparison. As for output Id say they are about dead even at 1000 lumens give or take 20. I still prefer the big fat beam out of the UC and its big fat hot spot. The TAC is indeed growing on me though it seems to throw farther but the candela is the same for both lights. Must be an optical illusion due to the TACs smaller more well defined hot spot

Doheny

Newly Enlightened
*NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,100...

I found a review on Amazon saying it gets way too hot after five minutes on turbo. Have you experienced anything similar?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,100...

I found a review on Amazon saying it gets way too hot after five minutes on turbo. Have you experienced anything similar?
Not surprising considering how thin the body is. The heat has to travel somewhere but it is a good sign that the heat sinking is good.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,100...

That is a by-product of high output lighting.

At five minutes the light steps down to next level of around 550-600 lumens. But can be used again in turbo if you need it by forcing it to run hot, though without cooling it's not advisable to do a lot.

All high output lights get quite warm about five minute mark and need to step down power levels to cool a little.
It's normal. At least all the small lights like this do and smaller lights.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

CelticCross74, thanks for doing all the beam shots. I doubt I will be receiving mine anytime soon because HKEquipment only sent out my light on 10th July despite ordering it a week ago on the 3rd. Would it be possible for you to do a beam shot comparison between both the UC35 and the PD35 TAC using the same camera settings if possible, similar scene, both individually and side by side? I would like to see the beam pattern on both if it's not too troublesome? Of course only if you are free to do it. Thanks!

Doheny

Newly Enlightened

That is a by-product of high output lighting.

At five minutes the light steps down to next level of around 550-600 lumens. But can be used again in turbo if you need it by forcing it to run hot, though without cooling it's not advisable to do a lot.

All high output lights get quite warm about five minute mark and need to step down power levels to cool a little.
It's normal. At least all the small lights like this do and smaller lights.

That's what I figured. Five minutes is a long time to run on turbo. I would think ideally one would light up what he's looking for/at then go lower. I'm guessing if it's TAC mode it steps down to low?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I figured. Five minutes is a long time to run on turbo. I would think ideally one would light up what he's looking for/at then go lower. I'm guessing if it's TAC mode it steps down to low?
Good question though I bet it steps down to a intermediary level of around 600.
My 2014 models were not rated by SB, though the 850 (2013) model dropped to around 560 lumen after turbo times out.
Edit to add, though that model put out more then it was rated for so this may not hold true with mine an newest version.

So I'm a guessing around 600ish on Tac in tactical mode?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

pjandyho my cheap little Canon is set to full auto settings for all shots. The lights are so bright I dont think the camera can really handle it hence I have to edit them heavily to get them close to looking like they actually do in person. Ive only got two tripods one for the camera one for the light so side by side would be hard to do. Luckily Ive got a long tall white fence around my back yard that shows beam profiles pretty well. Barring rain Ill have it done tonight. Getting the pics off the camera onto my PC and through editing takes awhile so they wont be up till near midnight. HKEquipment sounds half assed if it took them that long to send it to you. Highly recommend Fenix Store.com for all your Fenix needs.

Amazon reviewer sounds new to high output lights. Of course the lights get hot after a few minutes! Have yet to get a light in the TAC class of lights that gets to hot to hold.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

pjandyho my cheap little Canon is set to full auto settings for all shots. The lights are so bright I dont think the camera can really handle it hence I have to edit them heavily to get them close to looking like they actually do in person. Ive only got two tripods one for the camera one for the light so side by side would be hard to do. Luckily Ive got a long tall white fence around my back yard that shows beam profiles pretty well. Barring rain Ill have it done tonight. Getting the pics off the camera onto my PC and through editing takes awhile so they wont be up till near midnight. HKEquipment sounds half assed if it took them that long to send it to you. Highly recommend Fenix Store.com for all your Fenix needs.

Amazon reviewer sounds new to high output lights. Of course the lights get hot after a few minutes! Have yet to get a light in the TAC class of lights that gets to hot to hold.
Thanks! If it's too much of a trouble doing the beam shots then I say forget it. Personally I am lazy to do one as well. Lol!

I know about Fenix store. Got my E05SS and the E99Ti from them. Reason why I bought it from HKEquipment is because they promised free shipping all around the world and they did mention in their site that they will ship two days after payment. I guess I will just have to get it from Fenix store next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.