New here, looking for Opinions..

Ifrit

Newly Enlightened
I just recently became interested in flashlights. I am looking to start a collection and was wondering what you guys felt were the best sub $100 lights. Ultimately i would like to get a decent thrower and a decent flooder. If both could be had for around $100 that would be awesome. I do have some experience in electronics repair, so i am not adversed to building my own.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

There are many from which to choose, but you really will need to refine your parameters since "best", when it comes to flashlights, invariably involves so many attributes and preferences. It will be fun to browse around the forum and subforums.

BarryG

Enlightened
The Quark line from 4sevens.com is a great place to start looking.
Also check out bugoutgearusa.com, goinggear.com, shiningbeam.com, and batteryjunction.com.
All give cpf discounts and good customer service.
What battery do you plan on using?

Barry

Ifrit

Newly Enlightened
I currently have 14500 rechargeable. Then of course any alkaline. From what i've been noticing, it appears that the 18650 seems to be a well used battery. I am good for using any battery that comes in a rechargeable version. I just can't see purchasing a $100 light and then forking out $100 a year just to keep the photons flowing :)

I currently just have some cheaper chinese knock offs. (Ultrafire c3 1xaa/14500 and the Uniquefire S10 Cree R2-WC)

I just decided to purchase them after seeing some reviews against the mag led's and i was just "wow'd". Until that point i had really only ever used standard Krypton bulb flashlights. Mag 3c, and the like.

As my new found interest grew, i began searching through these forums and saw some of the real WOW flashlights. Some of the stuff you guys do here in the mods and custom builds is just AMAZING!

300winmag

Enlightened
I currently have 14500 rechargeable. Then of course any alkaline. From what i've been noticing, it appears that the 18650 seems to be a well used battery. I am good for using any battery that comes in a rechargeable version. I just can't see purchasing a $100 light and then forking out $100 a year just to keep the photons flowing :)

I currently just have some cheaper chinese knock offs. (Ultrafire c3 1xaa/14500 and the Uniquefire S10 Cree R2-WC)

I just decided to purchase them after seeing some reviews against the mag led's and i was just "wow'd". Until that point i had really only ever used standard Krypton bulb flashlights. Mag 3c, and the like.

As my new found interest grew, i began searching through these forums and saw some of the real WOW flashlights. Some of the stuff you guys do here in the mods and custom builds is just AMAZING!

Some amazing lights for sure but make sure you get safe 18650's like from AW at the marketplace, and a reliable charger.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently became interested in flashlights. I am looking to start a collection and was wondering what you guys felt were the best sub $100 lights. Ultimately i would like to get a decent thrower and a decent flooder. If both could be had for around $100 that would be awesome. I do have some experience in electronics repair, so i am not adversed to building my own.

Look at Eagletac models T100C2 MKII for throw and for flood look at the P20C2 MKII. There is many similar light's but these two are a couple good one's that will be very close to your budget, use your CPF discounts.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/index.html

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most newbies and many oldies tend to collect the same kind of light over and over. You got a good start away from the crowd by asking for a thrower AND a flooder.

A good flooder:
Zebralight headlamp. They provide even illumination without the hotspot in the middle. They can be unmounted from the headband and used as a hand held angle light. ~$45 - ~$65
H50b Headlamp AA Flood & H50w Headlamp AA Neutral White are on clearance.
H501 Headlamp AA Flood w/ new UI & H501w Neutral White w/ new UI are the current models.
H51 Headlamp AA 200Lm is a high output model.
-
The 4sevens Preon has a hotspot twice as wide as normal flashlights. 2AAA available in cool, neutral & warm white.
1AAA ~$37 (-8%) 2AAA $43 - ~$45 (-8%)
For the CPF discount codes register at CPFMP, log in and there is a sticky at the top of the good deals forum. The good deals forum does not show up until after you are logged in.

A good thrower:
Those 6V lanterns throw surprising well. (No surprise considering the big 4" reflector). ~$6
-
The new Rebel LED Maglite. Again the big 2" reflector that you can focus real tight makes the difference. The older Maglite 3W LED does not perform that well. You may come across either at the stores, just stay away from the one with 3W in the packaging. ~CAD$35 much cheaper in the USA

-----

From
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/285387
... while trying to get my lights all together in one spot. Even though the Nightcore D10 R2 edition has hardly left my pocket since I got it a couple of years ago, most of my lights are also in the same general purpose EDC category, and all the good ones have been bought since then. :ohgeez:

I really should diversify more.
Many people especially newbies tend to buy similsr lightd because they like to compare. I used to do that too.

I now try to get people to look at different uses and buy lights that fit those uses:

Keychain light - you have light with you as long as you have your keys with you.

GOTO EDC -most inconvenient to have to pull the keys out of the steering column to have light. Don't want to hold your keys all the time. Pocket or small holster carry.

Car - 2AA with Energizer L91 batteries.

Home utility - Can be duplicate of Car Light or a 2D version.

LED lantern - blackouts or camping.

Headlamp or headband - hands free.

Outdoor lights throw - See that itsy bitsy spot on those treetops.

Outdoor lights flood - when you need to light up your backyard all at once.

Outdoor lights warm tint - when you want to check out the vegetation.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
:welcome: fellow FF brother!:wave:

Since you're already using 14500's in an LED light; don't expect to continue to be blown away to the degree you've been so far. Flashlights will become like fine wine; it will take time to appreciate the complexities.

For flood, I recommend: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_20&products_id=623 I don't own this light but it sure looks like fun.
or how about:http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_355&products_id=2044

For throw, I recommend: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_330&products_id=1917 You can buy a 1 AA tube for your 14500's.

Getting to choose the light that works for you is the best part!

Have fun!

BarryG

Enlightened
Since you already have the 14500's, check out the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V.3 from bugoutgearusa.com. Makes one heck of a thrower for its size. The Quark regular AA can use a 14500 as well and has more flood than the Jetbeam.

Barry