New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: M25IT

That's a 4 cell Mag bi-pin on 2x18500's correct? Looks great!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Correct.

I had 10 of them laying around for my 4C and thought, why not?

So far, so good. I don't expect the life of the bulb to be all that vs FiveMega's reccomended TL3 bulb.

I'm not up on all the current draws vs rated bulb volts and all that (yet) so right now I'm a monkey with a type writer who managed to spell the word 'dog'... Yet with all the info available here at some point I may stumble onto the word 'eureka'. lol.

^^ card board wrap taped to battery until I acquire a tube.
I've been walking around the property, caliper in hand looking for 19mm ID/27mm OD tubes.
Thus far it appears a trip to Lowes (caliper in hand) in order for some aquarium type hose or something.

^^ rattle-free stability

^^ some kinder/gentler LifePo4's

In general I avoid rechargeables as well...'cept for eneloops. Last year I bought a NiteCore i4 charger thinking I'd never use lithium phosphates. But after some research they seemed like the way to go for this light.

So now a NiteCore D4 has now been ordered. It'll better in the long run anyway with it's ability to do one cell at a time like an rcr 123 and/or an eneloop. And with the digital display there's that piece of mind thing as well.

The light will be mostly used as a dust collector until I can acquire a more heat tolerant lens...or a factory replacement as it gets warm to the touch in about 30 seconds.

Edit:
After looking at some Mag charts (at flashlights unlimited) it looks like the 5 cell bulb would be better (if using Mag bulbs) as it's rated to take 6 volts vs the 4 cell at 4.8. I may try a 6 cell (7.2 volt) at some point.
Simply put the 4 cell is rated to last 4 hours. The 5 cell 9 and the 6 cell 11. But the 6 cell would be underdriven. My mind thinks that may lead to a beam that looks like somebody stuck a perscription bottle over the lens.

Thoughts anybody?

Edit:
After finding out about these flashlightlens.com is doing plastic lenses in ultra clear, hardcoat and a lightly diffused. Glass isn't far behind.

Edit: they have glass in stock.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

There are aftermarket lenses available for these guys.
I added an Acrylite lens by flashlight lens .com to the ML25IT and WOW what a difference.

^^ slight diffusion is awesome.
This lens allows (according to FLL) 97% transmission, yet the slight diffusion causes the beam to appear whiter, and way-way cleaner.
At $3.25 ea they are about as durable as the factory lens but the difference is amazing.

They arrive with a stick on paper on both sides. The diffused side is slightly unpeeled. It is reccomended the coating is placed to the inside of the light for best durability.

These are not for high temp applications. So when glass is available to my 'boosted' light one with added diffusion film will replace this lens.

Before and after beam shots later.
It's later.
The camera lens meters such that the filamet shadow does not show. Suffice to say it's definitely there without the diffused lens and definitely absent with it.
Yet change in overall brightness and throw are hardly noticeable.

^^ with then lens

^^ still plenty of throw

^^ with the factory lens.

Note the beam appears whiter using the Acrylite lens.

Another observation is the Acrylite does not feel anywhere near as warm after a few minutes like the factory one. Instead the head seems to warm slightly where it remains cool using the factory lens.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

So a black 3 Cell ML25IT arrived from ZBattery, #0000568 in fact. 5,6,7 woulda been really cool.

I immediately slid in a pvc spacer tube and a pair of 18650's. Slight spring stretched, then the 3C/D bulb was swapped for a 6. Tail cap applied.
Yuck! The 6 cell beam was a rectangle with tentacles galore. Bright but ugly.

A TL 3 bulb went in and not bad. Not bad at all. And a little brighter than the 6 cell bulb.
Then a 5 cell was tried. It was much brighter than the 6 but not as perdy as the TL.
TL bulb it is.
An Acrylite diffused acrylic lens by flashlight lens .com was added and all was right.

It cleans up the 5 cell nicely and makes the TL beam rival an LED artifact free spot. It helped the 6 cell bulb, but not enough to change my mind about using a TL 3 bulb.

Plenty bright overall but not as bright as a 2 cell using LifePo4's with a 4 cell bulb. Close though.

^^ 3' from the wall

^^ 5' to the ceiling.
In both the 2 cell was the left beam.

Now a 3 C cell sized light with 2 18650's is surprisingly light in weight. And about 10° or less rotation from off to a good spot was another pleasant surprise using a TL 3 bulb. Maybe 30° for the Mag Star II bulbs that protrude a bit farther out front.

For those interested, the factory specs.

The normal size mini mag requires about 150-180° rotation to achieve a nice spot.
The aa/aaa mini mag is a decent flooder at some point where the C size seems to aim to a spot. Anything past spot is ugly, ugly-er and ugly-est until you reach the point where the bulb is no longer inside the reflector.

Edit: took it out for some beam shots. But it began growing dim. I wondered if those cells were protected. Seems they are. So the batteries are charging.

The players:

Top: the 3 cell with 1 amp 18650's, a TL3 bulb and lightly frosted lens

Bottom: the 2 cell with LiifePo 18500's, a 4C/D bulb and lightly frosted lens.

^^ shortly before dark.

^^ modified 2 cell

^^ modified 3 cell, pre-charge

^^ left cell was down to 3.64.
I'm guessing the protection thing was trying to kick in since the light would dim, then glow, then began dimming quickly, then darkness. That's why as a general rule I use primaries for tool lights. But for this toy light18650's are the most practical.

Edit:
Charged batteries for both lights.
Neighbor had their porch light on so pics from last night of the distant garage were out...next best thing..neighbors house twice as far away.

But first... having fully charged (and settled overnight) cells in both lights revealed the 3 cell is just as fun as the 2 cell.

^^ all things equal the 3 cell is a bit brighter

It shows up in the spot and the spill.

One more thing; I tried a 3.6 volt Streamlight Stinger battery in the 3 cell with a 2 cell bulb. Crazy stretching of the spring would be required for consistant output, but it lit.
Seems like it is a possibility anyway.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened

Its a shame these are not for sale in the UK. Zbattery has a minimum $150 order for international, so...

I hope eventually we do get them though, as they look very nice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Its a shame these are not for sale in the UK. Zbattery has a minimum $150 order for international, so...

I hope eventually we do get them though, as they look very nice.

Buy 10. Problem solved. lol.

Nah, seriously ya have to look around to even find them over here.... They're incan so it's likely they'll remain scarce here.

I like 'em, so when the money tree blooms again I'll probably buy several...while I can.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Minimoog I've had the same problem as you're have when trying to order from American web sites in the past. The solution to your problem is to open a account on usgobuy . This gives you a free po box address in america. Ship your lights to that address, they will notify you when they arrive at your po box. Then you select how you would like them posted. I've had good service so far and you declared value of parcel which helps with any import tax. Only problem is now you're going to end up buying more flashlights. I have order a 2 and 3 cell version in black today. Hope to have them in uk in a couple of weeks. If l decided to just keep one out of the two I'll let you know if you're interested.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Minimoog I've had the same problem as you're have when trying to order from American web sites in the past. The solution to your problem is to open a account on usgobuy . This gives you a free po box address in america. Ship your lights to that address, they will notify you when they arrive at your po box. Then you select how you would like them posted. I've had good service so far and you declared value of parcel which helps with any import tax. Only problem is now you're going to end up buying more flashlights. I have order a 2 and 3 cell version in black today. Hope to have them in uk in a couple of weeks. If l decided to just keep one out of the two I'll let you know if you're interested.

Good lookin' out bro!
+1 to ya.

Minimoog

Enlightened

Thank you for that good advice. I have just set up an account and am reading up what I need to do next. I have my US address, now just need to make an order up.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Thank you for that good advice. I have just set up an account and am reading up what I need to do next. I have my US address, now just need to make an order up.

All you need to do now is to use the full address provided with your name when ordering from Zbattery. Then just wait till you get a email telling you have a parcel at usgobuy.

apete2

Newly Enlightened

I saw some of the ML25ITs at Target in Victor NY

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I saw some of the ML25ITs at Target in Victor NY

Nice Target you got there.

My local target went from selling some decent Colemans to nothing but those multi emitter 3aaa type...or worse.
I suppose it depends on the 'buyer' manager for a given area. But all Target stores near me have dismal sporting good sections. Great selection of shoes and sunglasses etc, but not a single fishing pole, pair of binoculars or pocket knives...

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Took a 3 cell ML25IT outfitted with a pair of 18650's (with spacer) and a TL3 bulb out for it's maiden voyage.

The slightly diffused lens lends a hand at completely erasing any artifacts and yet barely affects output regarding throw.

It was a pleasure lighting nearby woods well at 50+ yards easily identifying objects like drink cans or critters at a distance I can see them in daylight. All without washing out my night vision or flashing back from nearby objects.

The lens got right warm after a few minutes but not uncomfy to the touch. The head got slightly warm. My brain is pondering a heat sync while still staying pretty stock.

About 40 minutes in no noticeable dimming was occuring, nothing had melted, no funky smells were noted and the test was deemed a sucess.

I'm pretty pleased with both the 2 cell and 3 cell mods. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if somebody made a tailcap switch.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bykfixer, can the 2 cell ML25IT fit two 18650 batteries with the spring removed? Or is this a no go?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope, it doesn't look promising at all. Thank you for the pic. The older 2c mags have a longer tailcap that allow the second 18650 to fit. I guess it's time to try out the 3 cell ML25IT. I'm looking forward to the slimmer form factor of the new head.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

They fit fine in the 3 cell with only a slight spring stretch required...

^^ Left is a full size 2C. Right is the new 3C.
The new one is slightly shorter than the ever faitful 2C.
Using the mini mag type switch was genious imo.

I think you'll like the change.

Last edited:

apete2

Newly Enlightened

How is the throw comparison between old large head and newer heads?

bykfixer

Flashaholic

How is the throw comparison between old large head and newer heads?

I considered these were built for throw as once you leave spot focus things go down hill fast... ski slope fast.
It's like they combined the mini mag for size and a full size lights for the throw.
But tbh I've never used the pictured full size 2C to compare against these.
I bought it to 3x123 with a 5 cell bulb, but discovered these MLIT lights and frankly, put it back in the box. lol

My LED version (MT25LT) at 177 lumens out throws my Malkoff'd 3D. (375 version)

To be fair the Malkoff'd one lights up the night very well. But when trying to see, say a fence at 750' the smaller light does it better.
Now maybe it's because the darker edges of the pencil beam of the LT lends a hand to keeping night vision adapted better than a whopping flood light the Malkoff'd setup puts out while throwing.

Last edited: