New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

1pt21

Enlightened
Re: New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: M25IT

Nope, it doesn't look promising at all. Thank you for the pic. The older 2c mags have a longer tailcap that allow the second 18650 to fit. I guess it's time to try out the 3 cell ML25IT. I'm looking forward to the slimmer form factor of the new head.

Not only that, but at least in my testing an 18650 will not slide into the smaller tailcap of the new twisty C Mags unlike the original 2C's which gave you even more room to work with by removing the spring all together.

For a 2x 18650 setup I also recommend a 3C twisty. As you can see from the pics posted above it's actually still a tad shorter than the original 2C as well, feels excellent in the hand :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ The 3cell slim design allows it to be easily carried in the back pocket of trousers bezel downwhile walking about without the sensation it's going to fall out.

Note how small the head is vs the 2C

^^ Think Streamlight Stinger

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

My 2c and 3c ML25IT mags finally arrived in the UK. Inspired by bykfixer successes I set to work on the 2C. Wanted to run it on 26500 so picked up some red Efests and sure enough they slid right in. Bad news to long for tail cap to fully tighten. Not a hard fix.

Sand 2 to 3mm of top of tail cap and removed a few coils of spring, fully tightening now. Still won't work. Added a solder blob to top of first battery to make contact with positive contact. Installed a new 5cell mag bulb and we have light. As recommended by bykfixer I added an upgraded lens. This greatly helps the beam.

Love the output in the smaller package. Now a warning to any one considering this mod, the reflector just can't take the heat. My reflector coating is bubbling at the bottom and I haven't run it for more than 2 mins at a time:sick:. I hope some one comes out with a nice aluminium reflector in the near future.

Light is to dim with stock 2 cell bulb. Might have to put these both on the shelf and go back to the 2d with a metal reflector

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Yeah it puts heat out front.

I used LifePo4's to give a little less push until somebody comes up with glass.
My lens gets mighty warm on a 4 cell bulb with about 6.4/5 volts going. But after 15-45 minutes of run time(s) bulb held out and the lens is still ok.

Flashlight Lens. Com says they'd be doing some asap. Apparently he doesn't have the glass in stock. But as of Friday still a no go.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Glass lens would be a nice upgrade but I don't think it will help with the reflector coating bubbling. If your reflector is still good it looks as if a 4 cell bulb with 2 lifepo4 is the max heat reflector coating can take.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I'm getting that near the bulb.
More on the 3 cell model with a pair of 3.6 driving a TL3 bulb.

^^ the 18650 with TL3 bulb

^^ the LifePo4 and 4 cell mag bulb

^^ both reflectors getting the circle
More visible on the 7.2 volt light though, even though the 6.4 volt light has way more run time on it.

Then an idea hit me... the LED reflector has a giant hole...

^^ plenty of gap around the bulb.
So I tried the stock versus LED reflector. In a few minutes the area surrounding the bulb on the stock reflector was warm. Only that area.
But the entire LED reflector had become warm except the area around the bulb.
:thinking:

Well the LED reflector does not activate the switch off and on.

So as I type this thoughts of drilling a larger hole and wrapping that plastic reflector with foil, maybe drilling a hole in a penny, or using a washer to create a switch activating spacer... or something.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

After I discovered my reflector coating was bubbled I decided to uses it anyway. Took it out for about 10mins. Reflector didn't seem to affect beam to much. Checked it again reflector has now a hairline crack and bulb has just fused. Upgraded lens is now showing signs of distortion from the heat. Had about 30 min on bulb. 2 26500 IMR are to much for a 5 cell bulb but was a brilliant white beam while it lasted.

RZhy80.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mplWOF.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

o0YFa4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pic above of my shortened tail cap. Sanded away the tapered part 2 to 3mm and removed bottom coils of springs. 2 26500 flat tops now fit easily (red efest ) .

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Yeah if you're going to throw a lot of juice all at once that plastic won't stand a chance.
But the bulb made it... so at least we now know that'll hold up... for 30 minutes. lol.
Sounds like it was fun.

I started out on the side of caution in a curiosity to see how far I could go with the plastic parts knowing at some point physics would kick in.

And the output of the 18650's and bulb combo I used is not much brighter than the LifePo setup.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I just scoured the kaidomain site and found a metal reflector that looks promising mjg.

7mm opening.

Now the Mag is about 39mm wide where the kaidomain is 35.
The Mag is roughly 25 mm tall and so is the kaidomain. But the push point of the Mag is about 22mm away from the top of the reflector. That seems to mean a 3mm protrusion of the reflector.

Repeat photo to show my point.

A lens is about 1.5mm thick. So doubling a lens and fastening the bezel about a mm shy of complete still covers the o-ring.

At some point I'll put together an order from them and await the 'slow-boat-from-China' to deliver that and whatever else I've ordered.
Maybe somebody else will have tried it by then.
It's $2.85.
They also have a 36mm dedicated "C2" reflector, but no dimensions for the bulb opening are given.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Reflector looks promising bykfixer. I was just about to searching the web looking for a reflector myself. Would like to find a good replacement as well. If I can find something else I'll post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Reflector looks promising bykfixer. I was just about to searching the web looking for a reflector myself. Would like to find a good replacement as well. If I can find something else I'll post it here.

Please do.

I checked Sandwich Shoppe but the closest I found, a 38mm is like 31.75 mm deep. Way too much.
Opening was 8 mm though.

This is getting good. (Rubbing hands together like some kinda frizzy haired mad scientist)

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

I grabbed my vernier calliper and took a few quick measurements for anyone searching for a replacement reflector.

Overall height = 24.8mm
Actual reflector height = 20.5mm
Outside diameter at top = 40.3m
Diameter at top below lip = 38.3mm
Bulb opening = 6.3mm

When looking for a suitable replacement reflector its height needs to be around 20.5mm. The overall height of 24.8mm includes the extended skirt at bottom which activities the switch. Any replacement reflector will have to be moded to activate switch pressure pad which is the white ring below and around bulb holder.

Have a few aluminium reflectors from led host lights I have not yet built. First I tryed a BLF X6 V2 reflector. Measures 35mm x 24mm. This is a smo reflector and give a really ringey beam . Second was a smaller convoy s2 + lop reflector. Beam not as bad but standard mag reflector was best by far.

I think the problem with these reflectors and probably most aftermarket ones online is they are designed with leds in mind not bulbs. I use a Convoy S2 and blf x6 and they have a great beam with a led. I think the best bet for a reflector is to use one from a manufacturer like surefire or streamlight. At least these will be designed for incandescent use and hopefully that'll mean a great beam.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Bykfixer I was reading through another thread and noticed you are using a streamlight stinger antiroll on one of your ML25LT. There's a good chance the reflector diameter is going to be a close fit. Hard to find any specific reflector measurements but spares are available and not badly priced. Might take a chance on one this week. If anyone has a streamlight stinger incandescent could you measure the reflector diameter and height. Any leads for info would be much appreciated.

scout24

Flashaholic

I'm eagerly watching to see where the reflector search leads. I like the form factor, just need more lumens. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

This is my calipers until I get around to putting a battery in my digitals.

So you'll see "about" and "approximately" when I measure stuff.

The opening on my Stinger LED is pretty close to the Mag ML25. (I call it W but diameter is a better term)) where the depth (height) is a lot longer. Well a lot as in about 5 or so mm's.

Edit:
I have a request for info via pm from darkzero after reading this;
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?41286-Stinger-Lens-Removal

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened

Good info on here, thanks byk and others that have sacrificed their reflectors/lenses!!

I currently have one running a TL3 bulb on 2x RCR's, but I have only toyed around with it in the house white wall hunting and whatnot.

If it wasn't for this thread I would Have CERTAINLY melted a reflector taking it outside on the TL3.

Waiting on word for an acceptable METAL reflector, just as many of us are.

Please keep this thread updated, my twisty hasn't left the house yet and has now been shunned to the shelf until we can work this out :shakehead

1pt21

Enlightened

Eh, in the meantime you have that shiney new PK.

He made an appearance on your thread btw 1pt.

Oh yes, I'm well aware. When I clicked on my "Subscribed Threads" shortcut I had to do a double take! I don't even know how to reply to his response honestly...

As far as the mag goes; I'm not disappointed or anything (actually quite glad I didn't burn through a reflector). I just love my incan mods (as I'm sure you're well aware of by now), we seem to be on the same page with the hobby buddy ;). I'm sure a decent metal reflector for the twisties will be sourced soon enough. I have plenty of toys to keep me busy in the meantime for sure!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Oh yes, I'm well aware. When I clicked on my "Subscribed Threads" shortcut I had to do a double take! I don't even know how to reply to his response honestly...

As far as the mag goes; I'm not disappointed or anything (actually quite glad I didn't burn through a reflector). I just love my incan mods (as I'm sure you're well aware of by now), we seem to be on the same page with the hobby buddy ;). I'm sure a decent metal reflector for the twisties will be sourced soon enough. I have plenty of toys to keep me busy in the meantime for sure!

I'm always thrilled when PK speaks here. The irony is he is seemingly humbled by our praises of his products and attentive of the critiques both good or bad.
He has spoken to me a couple of times. I screen shot it and texted my friends..."guys PK spoke to me! I"m soooo stoked" lol.

Now with the subject lights here, it was only a matter of time before somebody did the boost thing. And others will improve it. My thought was to research what folks used to do in the pre-LED days when special reflectors were hard to come by.
At about that time the incan section (and other areas) were receiving inquiries of mild boosting some newer incans.
Anything I did should be credited to FiveMega and the helpful salesman at Batteries Plus.
Actually Scout24 played a role too. He was the one to say "Dew Eeeet"...

My original goal was to see how far it could go using original plastics. Then from Northern Ireland pops up mjgxsr to give this project the 10psi turbo boost it needed.

Now lets see where it goes. In the meantime I'll still use the LifePo4/4cell bulb combo to see what kind of runtimes in general use scenarios takes place.
The 2-18650/TL3 combo will go with me on the nights I take the PK FL2 with me on cholesterol lowering jaunts. Those 1 amp batteries seem to keep things in check regarding all the heat.

Btw StudFreeman, my appologies for taking over your thread.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Loving the car related analogy bykfixer. I can relate to that as I work in the automotive industry. I like to push my incan lights hard with plenty of :poof: and :fail: along the way.

On a more positive note I have ordered a streamlight 75956 replacement reflector/lens unit. Coming from USA so don't think I will be seeing it for a few weeks. Even if the measurement are close its going to take a bit of work to make it operate the switch. Fingers crossed.

jFgYbv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts