New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: M25IT

Cool.

I understand that Mag couldn't add a side switch to these and end up with the squirt size numbers they are. And using the mini mag switch was a great Mag idea. But a tail cap switch is ideal for the reason(s) you cite. If you want flood you adjust the head.
I set mine to the spot I like and use the tail cap for on/off. But that clicky idea is a good one... especially if tail standing isn't important.

Maybe someday fivemega will see enough interest to adapt a run of his M@g clickies to this light.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am about to pull the trigger on a Maglite ML25 Incan 3C Twistie and need some confirmation.

• IMR 26650's will fit in a 3C version of these ?

• Get a UCL Lens from flashlightlens

• Bore out the reflector or use my 35mm metal reflector which BTW works perfect in my Mag623 build too.

• Streamlight TL3 bulb drops right in?

Since I want to use IMR 26650's is there any other bulb I should be using to ensure I don't flash it?

Thank you,
bigC

mjgsxr

Enlightened

• IMR 26650's will fit in a 3C version of these ?

IMR 26650 will not fit they have to big a diameter unless you find a thinner 26650 imr cell. Needs to measure 26.0mm or less to fit. You could hone the barrel out, it would take very little room to let them fit. Red efest imr 26500 fit prefect in a 2 cell hoist. Your other option is 26650 A123 lifepo4 cell but is only 3.3 volts, you could drive the 5cell mag bulb in a 3c light. You will need a 20mm spacer to make up the length of 3 c cells.

• Get a UCL Lens from flashlightlens

They don't have one yet for sale the right size but he will do custom sizes if you ask.

• Bore out the reflector or use my 35mm metal reflector which BTW works perfect in my Mag623 build too.

Your better to go metal, plastic one is not going to last long. Would be interested to see how that 35mm reflector works.

• Streamlight TL3 bulb drops right in?

Yes bulb fits straight in.

Since I want to use IMR 26650's is there any other bulb I should be using to ensure I don't flash it

The Mag 6 cell bulb works fine on two IMR 26500 and a Mag 5 cell bulb runs on 2 26650 lifepo4. I would be interested in more options as well if anyone else knows of some.

1pt21

Enlightened

WOW, this thread turned out to be awesome and quite informative!!!

Just wanted to give a big thanks to mjgrxr for all the custom work you did AND took the time to explain the mods with pics :twothumbs

Please PM me if you ever decide that you will offer this service to others. I certainly could do it, but do not have the equipment. I'm a fan of the simpler v2 mod to be honest.

Thanks again everyone, I hope this thread stays alive and strong for a long time!!!!!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job mjgrxr!

Thanks for the report on what you've done, and the results.

ALso thanks to bykfixer for keeping this going!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Flashlight lens .com has glass for these now.
Ultraclear water glass, AR coated both sides with 99% light transmission.

$6.25 + $3 s&h.

1pt21

Enlightened

Flashlight lens .com has glass for these now.
Ultraclear water glass, AR coated both sides with 99% light transmission.

$6.25 + $3 s&h.

My, oh my. Life is good lately for us incan lovers eh?? :candle:

Now for an easier reflector option......

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Basically the C size mini mag has a permanent bi-pin set up for the narrower spaced pin'd bulbs.

The 2nd photo shows what is involved with the emitter assembly. It's similar to a mini mag.

3rd photo shows an LED assembly taken apart. The incan is very similar.

So yeah, it can be done, but not a plug n play like big Mags.
Finding a reflector is what's holding it back. Using 2 low output 18650's and a TL3 bulb is slowly melting the stock reflector on mine. So if you look at mjgrxr posts you'll see anything like a G4 set up will melt the reflector quickly.

Maybe someday...

Last edited:

dadel

Newly Enlightened

Exciting to see new incan mags in 2016! I've been looking around for one of these lately, but they are not imported to Finland and overall availability in Europe has been bad. Was almost ready to put an order from the US when I found the 2C model for 15.7€ (~$18) on german amazon this morning. Mags are usually much more expansive here so this was a really great price. Bought a couple just for the sake of it… :whistle:

Also stocked up on 2C/D magnum star II bulbs.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Exciting to see new incan mags in 2016! I've been looking around for one of these lately, but they are not imported to Finland and overall availability in Europe has been bad. Was almost ready to put an order from the US when I found the 2C model for 15.7€ (~$18) on german amazon this morning. Mags are usually much more expansive here so this was a really great price. Bought a couple just for the sake of it… :whistle:

Also stocked up on 2C/D magnum star II bulbs.

Faaaaaaaaantastic!!!

Tribull

Enlightened

Thought that I would revive this thread and ask, if I wanted to fool around with This little guy and drop in a Nite Ize led would it just drop in or is it more involved than that?

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Bi-pin Nite Ize for mini mags won't fit inside the light bulb sized hole (aprox 8mm) in the reflector. I did use the LED reflector whose hole was like 22mm but the beam was way less than appealing. And I aint some beam snob either. If I recall correct there was a giant shadow about midway of the beam circle.

But this one is a bi-pin setup so without major surgery cannot be used with PR based Nite Ize drop ins.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

After spending some time with this light I think it's pretty freaking cool. I did my typical sanding of the lens to smooth out the beam a bit and have been running it on two AA Eneloops and C cell adapters. The coolest thing to me is that when you unscrew the head almost all the way, the light drops to a REALLY low output and it becomes an incan mule beam. At night I'll leave it at that "setting" and turn it off and on via the tailcap. Almost a moon mode. Great for middle of the night use. Can't remember who posted that you can control the on\off via the tailcap but that's a cool little trick. Maglites......god bless em'.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Agreed, it does make a mighty fine mule.

That's how I operate my LED versions GG.
Set the bezel to my favorite spot and do on/off with the tailcap.

Ya gotta twist it a half turn or so extra or it can be turned on by applying pressure to the tailcap during say... jacket pocket carry.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hell you just gave me another hack for this light.....momentary on. Keeps getting better
Agreed, it does make a mighty fine mule.

That's how I operate my LED versions GG.
Set the bezel to my favorite spot and do on/off with the tailcap.

Ya gotta twist it a half turn or so extra or it can be turned on by applying pressure to the tailcap during say... jacket pocket carry.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened

Meanwhile, does one know if there is a metal reflector which could just be plugged in without modifications?

PJ

Enlightened
Dec. 2018 I found 3 of these at Target stores in southeast Michigan, one each red, silver and blue.

These are perfect for 5mm LEDs. I cut a Yuji 3200 down to length of the pins on the Mag bulb and it plugged right in. Firing it up it had no real hotspot. I took another Yuji and left the leads longer to get the LED farther into the reflector. That is a Bingo! Now it focuses into a good hotspot and will give some flood when dialed out. As a bonus these lights do the candle mode.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile, does one know if there is a metal reflector which could just be plugged in without modifications?

Probably not because they appear to be a different design than the standard mag but KAI Domain makes a whole host of different size metal reflectors. I just bought a 3C so I plan to give it a shot soon.

Dec. 2018 I found 3 of these at Target stores in southeast Michigan, one each red, silver and blue.

These are perfect for 5mm LEDs. I cut a Yuji 3200 down to length of the pins on the Mag bulb and it plugged right in. Firing it up it had no real hotspot. I took another Yuji and left the leads longer to get the LED farther into the reflector. That is a Bingo! Now it focuses into a good hotspot (warm spot? :shakehead )and will give some flood when dialed out. As a bonus these lights do the candle mode.

Awesome, good to know! I just picked up a 3C version. Can they still accommodate a standard PR base bulb as well?