New Mini MKIII's for 2021

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small batch of "low power" mini's went up on the site so I ordered one. I actually prefer the lower outputs. The output and runtimes given on the page don't make much sense though as Med is 1/3 the power but only 50% more runtime, so that implies a lot less effeciency than the original spec. I'm hoping Jason was just really conservative in the numbers of the "low power" spec.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small batch of "low power" mini's went up on the site so I ordered one. I actually prefer the lower outputs. The output and runtimes given on the page don't make much sense though as Med is 1/3 the power but only 50% more runtime, so that implies a lot less effeciency than the original spec. I'm hoping Jason was just really conservative in the numbers of the "low power" spec.

When I first received mine, I got 2 hours on high mode when I tested it, but cut the test short as at the time I was too tired to wait. On medium I got a confirmed 22 hours with no perceivable output drop, but it went out around 22.5 hours.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hrs on high and 22 hrs on Med makes more sense. Is this with the stock rechargeable? Is going out at 22.5 hrs when the protection circuit on the battery kicks in? Is there any warning the light is going to cut out? (Dimming, flickering , etc..)
What is the performance like on a primary CR123?

Here are the specs from the website:
Current Batch:
  • Low (Moonlight): 0.8 lumens, 130 hrs
  • Medium: 15 lumens, 12 hrs
  • High 150 lumens 90 min
  • Max/Burst 550 lumens, 60 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)
Future Batch (original specification):
  • Low (Moonlight): 1.5 lumen, 90 hrs
  • Medium: 45 lumens, 9 hrs
  • High 350 lumens 60 min
  • Max/Burst 800 lumens, 50 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hrs on high and 22 hrs on Med makes more sense. Is this with the stock rechargeable? Is going out at 22.5 hrs when the protection circuit on the battery kicks in? Is there any warning the light is going to cut out? (Dimming, flickering , etc..)
What is the performance like on a primary CR123?

Here are the specs from the website:
Current Batch:
  • Low (Moonlight): 0.8 lumens, 130 hrs
  • Medium: 15 lumens, 12 hrs
  • High 150 lumens 90 min
  • Max/Burst 550 lumens, 60 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)
Future Batch (original specification):
  • Low (Moonlight): 1.5 lumen, 90 hrs
  • Medium: 45 lumens, 9 hrs
  • High 350 lumens 60 min
  • Max/Burst 800 lumens, 50 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)

That was with the stock rechargeable. I unfortunately left the light at 22 hours and when I came back a half hour later, it was completely out. I don't have any means of measuring voltage currently, so I don't know what the voltage was. I also don't have any CR123 cells to test.

I'm not keeping my light as is, I'm waiting for them to let me know when I can send it in so they can make it perform as originally advertised.

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
I just got a mini mkiii turbo and I've noticed a red ring around the edge of the beam. Anyone notice this as well?

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
Pictures?
zufJraJh.jpg

NBKx4Zqh.jpg

EEzyzgTh.jpg

Anyone managed to unscrew the 6 pt circular nut from the tail end to remove the magnet? Really wish it was not there.

Yes, I got mine out with a tweezers so I could replace it with the brass flush cap accessory.

The Dark Sucks/Foursevens website instructs to use small tweezers to remove the nut. I was somewhat disappointed to learn a tool isn't included with the replacement caps offered on their site.

Denix

Newly Enlightened
I was on vacation when my Ti MKIII arrived so I just started playing with it. It's a gorgeous light and I love the form factor. In the past I had a MK1, which I gave to a friend, and an MKII that my wife lost. So this is my third.

While I love the light and love twisty lights, mine is giving me some trouble. I can't reliably switch modes. It turns on and off easily enough, but moving from one mode to another takes 2-3 tries on average and I can get into boost maybe once in every 10-12 attempts. I also had a real hard time getting into programming mode. I timed with with my stopwatch and could cycle the light in about 2.3 seconds on average, but it would take 5-6 attempts to get into programming. Then, once in, it wouldn't work like in the manual. I could switch to the next programming mode then the light would exit programming. Not at all like Jason's video.

It could be that it's simply that the titanium needs some "breaking in". I cleaned and lubed the threads a few times and the light feels better, but it's still difficult to get it to switch modes.

I never had any issues with my previous minis, but they weren't Ti. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had issues with a Beta and a 4-7 Preon right out of the box and had to send them back. They fixed them up and sent them back and they work much better. The only weird thing was they had me send them a video to prove they were wonky. I would say don't wait, get an RMA and send it back.

I was on vacation when my Ti MKIII arrived so I just started playing with it. It's a gorgeous light and I love the form factor. In the past I had a MK1, which I gave to a friend, and an MKII that my wife lost. So this is my third.

While I love the light and love twisty lights, mine is giving me some trouble. I can't reliably switch modes. It turns on and off easily enough, but moving from one mode to another takes 2-3 tries on average and I can get into boost maybe once in every 10-12 attempts. I also had a real hard time getting into programming mode. I timed with with my stopwatch and could cycle the light in about 2.3 seconds on average, but it would take 5-6 attempts to get into programming. Then, once in, it wouldn't work like in the manual. I could switch to the next programming mode then the light would exit programming. Not at all like Jason's video.

It could be that it's simply that the titanium needs some "breaking in". I cleaned and lubed the threads a few times and the light feels better, but it's still difficult to get it to switch modes.

I never had any issues with my previous minis, but they weren't Ti. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

There have been a few issues reported with regard to some of the lights in the Mini Mk-III series having defective circuitry. The issue seems to be that the mode selection circuit on some (but not all) of the control circuit chips was set at a timing interval too short for humans to achieve...the user simply couldn't twist the light fast enough to be within the mode switching parameters that were baked into the chip. It sounds like your issue may involve one of these "too fast" chips. If that's the case you should contact Jason. His company offers superb customer service, and will work with you to make things right.

gravelrash

Enlightened
There have been a few issues reported with regard to some of the lights in the Mini Mk-III series having defective circuitry. The issue seems to be that the mode selection circuit on some (but not all) of the control circuit chips was set at a timing interval too short for humans to achieve...the user simply couldn't twist the light fast enough to be within the mode switching parameters that were baked into the chip. It sounds like your issue may involve one of these "too fast" chips. If that's the case you should contact Jason. His company offers superb customer service, and will work with you to make things right.
I have this same issue in a recently bought Mini MK-III. I emailed Darksucks when I first got it, and they sent me a video of how to get into programming mode - not my issue at all. I just want to change output levels, and "a timing issue too short for humans to achieve" is right on the money. We'll see what response I get this time.