**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Wish my L2 which is on route will be cool white. I'm a cool white only but if this light turns out on the neutral/warmer side, I will give it a try and besides I got it for a great deal.

My dozens unused eneloops will be happy to feed this light.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EA4 has transformed my light preference for nightly walks in a way I had been seeking for a long time...
I initially feared the UI would be too complex to easily manipulate - but I was pleased to discover it to be perfect for my requirements. The ability to instantly go from a memorized lower mode to turbo with a single press; and then back again with another, as I traverse overgrown paths to open hillsides, is awesome :thumbsup:
Of course, the momentary turbo option from off is another great feature.
And all this flexibility is positioned under my thumb in a natural hold while walking... No longer do I have to switch to an overhand tactical hold with my 6P-type, tailswitch mode-changing lights, to adjust my illumination to the changing terrain. Even my head-twist mode adjustable lights can't match the EA4's UI one-handed capabilities and ergonomics.

Although a major shortcoming for some, the lack of a moonlight mode is a non-issue for me on my walks, and it would simply be a wasted mode to have to cycle through. I haven't encountered the light activation from "locked mode" problem but then I don't use the holster that much, and I prefer tail clickies for edc or pocket carry.

And I can finally use my idle stock of AA Eneloops - what a great compact powerhouse :twothumbs

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Received my EA4W from Fa_____ch couple of days ago.
Overall happy with it but not so as i expected from the opinions here and there.
Im not so pleased with the output.
In clear eye the Sunwayman M40A (U2) outhrows it by far.
The hotspot is more defined and it goes farther.
I know that they don't use the same reflector but....
Also in a compare which i tried them with my camera, in Aperture mode of course, i found the Sunwayman a bit brighter.
Sunwayman M40A (U2) -100 Iso -20 Shutter 5.6 Aperture
Nitecore EA4W - 100 Iso -15 Shutter 5.6 Aperture
Where are the 860 Lumens compared to the 645 of the Sunway???
I don't decided yet i i'm going to keep it.
Still looking for a small AA thrower after that.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not so pleased with the output.
In clear eye the Sunwayman M40A (U2) outhrows it by far.
The hotspot is more defined and it goes farther.
I know that they don't use the same reflector but....
Also in a compare which i tried them with my camera, in Aperture mode of course, i found the Sunwayman a bit brighter.
Where are the 860 Lumens compared to the 645 of the Sunway???

Still looking for a small AA thrower after that.

Well, since you asked. In my opinion, Nitecore has been consistently over-estimating their output the last year. Selfbuilt estimated the EA4 output at 770 lumens. If you have the XM-L T6 Neutral White emitter, you can expect on average about 10% less output. That's put the EA4W around 690 ANSI lumens. Turbo mode is not regulated, and is entirely dependent on the voltage of the cells. All the other modes are regulated of course. You will only get the full 690 ANSI lumens when you first turn the light on with freshly charged cells. After using turbo even for a few minutes, the cells will drain very quickly. When you use turbo again, due to the lower voltage of the battery sag, you will get less lumens for every minute you use turbo mode each time. In order to maintain maximum brightness, you will need to recharge your cells every 3 minutes.

That said, the EA4 is very bright for it's size. You are not going to find anything that throws this far in the same compact size. Illumination Supply has a special edition EA4 XM-L2 U2. Somebody mentioned the tint is a little on the warm side, so that is an option for you.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EA4 has transformed my light preference for nightly walks in a way I had been seeking for a long time...
I initially feared the UI would be too complex to easily manipulate - but I was pleased to discover it to be perfect for my requirements. The ability to instantly go from a memorized lower mode to turbo with a single press; and then back again with another, as I traverse overgrown paths to open hillsides, is awesome :thumbsup:
Of course, the momentary turbo option from off is another great feature.
And all this flexibility is positioned under my thumb in a natural hold while walking... No longer do I have to switch to an overhand tactical hold with my 6P-type, tailswitch mode-changing lights, to adjust my illumination to the changing terrain. Even my head-twist mode adjustable lights can't match the EA4's UI one-handed capabilities and ergonomics.

Although a major shortcoming for some, the lack of a moonlight mode is a non-issue for me on my walks, and it would simply be a wasted mode to have to cycle through. I haven't encountered the light activation from "locked mode" problem but then I don't use the holster that much, and I prefer tail clickies for edc or pocket carry.

And I can finally use my idle stock of AA Eneloops - what a great compact powerhouse :twothumbs

Well said. I just got mine today and gave it a 15 minute test run with Eneloops. For most of the modes, you really don't need the manual to figure them out (with probably the exception of how to get the beacon to work). It's a very novel and useful UI that doesn't take much to get used to. The form factor is EXCELLENT. The fit and finish is definitely well done.

Yeah, a moonlight mode would be nice, but then this isn't a "trip to the bathroom" kind of light. As for actual lumens, I really don't care if it's less than spec or even below selfbuilt's measured 770. It's sure bright enough for most anything. Sunwayman's comparable model might put out more light in turbo mode, but does it have everything else the EA4 does? No, it doesn't.

I also really appreciate the lit button, which gives you useful information in standby and pre-lockout modes. Very grippy button too, perhaps just a little too soft and elastic feeling. I can see now why some switches swelled into a little balloon with a high enough temperature. I plan to never expose it to temperatures like that (I won't leave this in my car, that's for sure), so I've stopped being concerned.

Overall, a terrific light for a reasonable price on-line (got mine for $61 shipped, and seller even threw in an Olight pocket knife).

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Looks like link has had the same issue as me !!!
=======

Hi everyone, I recently purchased this EA4 and was initially very happy with it. But..
I left it in my car in the glovebox for a couple of days, then went to grab it tonight to go out for a walk...

(Gallery):
IMG_2039-M.jpg
IMG_2043-M.jpg

The button appears to have warped in the heat(!), expanded outwards, then cooled down into its current state :( There's some piece of plastic (button?) underneath that rubber button that has come loose and is rattling around in there also, preventing proper operation of the light.

I live in Australia and it's common to get 45degree celcius days during summer (probably 60deg in a car). Is this thing not built to survive such temperatures?? Or did I just get unlucky? Just going to contact the store I bought it from and/or nitecore to ask for warranty, but thought I should bring it up here as a warning/query.

Sad :/

Yeah that doesn't just look like warping from heating. That looks like battery venting to me. I had the same thing happen to me with crappier NiMh batteries on my original LD20 Q5. The tailcap started balooning outwards like that and the tail was hard to unscrew. When I got it off I could hear the hiss and smell gases that were definitely from the batteries.

Moral of story use high quality eneloops or similar (or L91 primaries) and in my opinion put any light in a spot where it isn't enclosed and won't get super hot in the summer in a car. I actually would use a light colored bag and maybe put it under your seat or something.

__philippe

Enlightened
Yeah that doesn't just look like warping from heating. That looks like battery venting to me.

My thoughts precisely.

Excessive heat may be one factor involved in the few reported EA4 "ballooning" switch cover incidents, but the root cause is more likely due to hydrogen gas pressure released by defective batteries venting under a rather tight switch sealing gasket.

BTW, the recent suggestion by Nitecore to punch tiny holes in the switch cover to release gas pressure is at best a half-baked temporary "fix", with two drawbacks:

- it compromises the switch cover integrity
- it will inevitably lead to moisture finding its way to the inside in the long run.

Until Nitecore provides a better design to release accidental pressure from gas venting (such as a switch cover material porous to gas only, not to water), the "ballooning" risk inherent to gas venting from defective batteries will remain.

For now, heed Martinaee's advice, use only premium batteries (such as Eneloop) to mitigate the current risk.

__philippe

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the people who had the bulging switch cover problem are still following this thread, what type and brand of batteries were you using?

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Also in a compare which i tried them with my camera, in Aperture mode of course, i found the Sunwayman a bit brighter. Sunwayman M40A (U2) -100 Iso -20 Shutter 5.6 Aperture Nitecore EA4W - 100 Iso -15 Shutter 5.6 Aperture Where are the 860 Lumens compared to the 645 of the Sunway??? I don't decided yet i i'm going to keep it. Still looking for a small AA thrower after that.
I don't believe the metering systems of digital cameras can be used to make definitive comparisons like this.

JimiJam

Newly Enlightened
If the people who had the bulging switch cover problem are still following this thread, what type and brand of batteries were you using?

Eneloops were used (perhaps 1-2 years old) and it was stored inside the car glovebox.

You guys might be right perhaps there's something wrong with my batteries, but I put the torch back in the car on another hot day with the tail cap off and no batteries in there - at the end of the day, the button was tight (increased pressure) as compared to the noticeably softer/more flexible (less pressure) button when the torch-body had cooled down.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
could be that the extreme heat inside upset the cells, causing them to vent even though there was nothing wrong with them. They are tubes full of chemicals after all. Just a thought...

Al14159

Newly Enlightened

I was using PowerEx 2700mAH batteries about 1-2 years old. They were used lightly in a Garmin GPS until I tried them in the EA4W. After the light switch blew out, my La Crosse charger charged them fine, and all cells evenly. Once I get my replacement light, I'll try a different set of batteries, including non-rechargeables.

SilverCaper

Newly Enlightened

Duracell Coppertop AA Alkaline Batteries. CopperTop batteries are rated for reliable operation in temperature extremes from -20°C/-4°F to 54°C/129°F and contains no added mercury. Nitecore does state that Primary AA batteries are one of the recommended types.

Bumble

Enlightened
Duracell Coppertop AA Alkaline Batteries. CopperTop batteries are rated for reliable operation in temperature extremes from -20°C/-4°F to 54°C/129°F and contains no added mercury. Nitecore does state that Primary AA batteries are one of the recommended types.

hi,whist they might be recommended by nitecore, they wont be recommended by a "flashaholic":) . get some eneloops and use alkalines only in an emergency. i along with other people have had duracells leak in there lights!!! damaging the light in my case!!. just my opinion.

SilverCaper

Newly Enlightened
hi,whist they might be recommended by nitecore, they wont be recommended by a "flashaholic":) . get some eneloops and use alkalines only in an emergency. i along with other people have had duracells leak in there lights!!! damaging the light in my case!!. just my opinion.

The light was a gift to my father who used the Alkaline batteries. I do have Eneloops and told my father that I was going to give him some, but either my procrastination or his anxiousness to use the light or both got to him prior to receiving them.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliable and trusted batteries are a must in a quality light such as this. Actually, I wonder if a venting battery might cause an explosion out the front end of the light, spewing forth glass shards at high speed. Perhaps the switch cover blowing out is a little safer?

I had used the light for a while and then started to take closer notice of the beam pattern on a white wall. While there is a definite corona, it's not very distracting. But what I did notice is that there's a prominent greenish ring in the hotspot, fading out to a light purple tint. I have the same greenish ring on my Olight M20 output, but more so (the EA4 looks better with a smoother beam dispersion, no artifacts). When I put my Surefire U2 or NovaTac 120P up next to it, it's very noticeable that their beams are quite clean in comparison to the EA4.

Is the beam on the EA4w very similar or have less of a ring appearance?

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
My subjective interpretation of my ea4w's beam is that it is flawless and any weird rings or colors really aren't worth mentioning. Then again I may not be as...discerning as you.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
My subjective interpretation of my ea4w's beam is that it is flawless and any weird rings or colors really aren't worth mentioning. Then again I may not be as...discerning as you.
Well, that's what I'm on about--wondering if the EA4w has a cleaner beam pattern because of a different emitter. I'm not making any unfair nitpicking... beam pattern is a very common aspect of a flashlight to consider. I use my U2 and 120P as a task lights, because they have an extremely smooth beam that makes it easier on the eyes for writing on paper. The thick body of the EA4 would probably keep it out of that kind of use anyway... but still, I'm only trying to figure out if the beam pattern I'm noticing is a normal characteristic for this light or if there are random emitter variances.

Latest posts