New Nitecore P30 Video Review. Highly Recommended Small Thrower Light

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I figured the body of the P30 is shorter than that of the Surefire 6p, which I find just long enough to fit my whole palm, so the P30 would not be comfortable to hold in my hand, as I prefer not to lay my ring and little finger on the wider neck.

I read in another review that the tactical ring is loose and spins around freely. To me, that's like having a clip that spins around freely. If like you say it actually stays in place, then that's fine.
The tactical ring can turn around as it is not mechanically affixed, but for mine it takes a measure of force to do this. It's in no way loose and spin.

I see what you mean about the handle not being ergonomic if used in tactical grip. Your hand is all squinched up, and the thumb can't easily extent back to press the switch with the lessened grip area.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two points: First, what does a buck/boost driver have to do with how long the P30 stays on full turbo before dropping down?

Second: I had reason to haul mine out last night after not using it for a while. Every time I use it I am amazed at its small size and really tight central beam. As I have said before, I wish Nitecore would have come out with this one before I bought all those Tiny Monsters.

Joke on me - When I got it out last night, I tried to take it out of lockout by pressing on the side switch. Tried several times. It was only when I started to take the tail cap off to check the cell that I realized it had the on/off switch in the tail.

Yes, it doesn't tail stand, but I have several other lights that do quite well, so it's not a problem. If I ever do want it to tail stand I have several glasses that will do nicely to hold it in an upright position.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two points: First, what does a buck/boost driver have to do with how long the P30 stays on full turbo before dropping down?..........
The only reason I can think for why that statement was made is if they were wanting the output to stay constant during the entire range of capacity of the battery. Because that is the only reason for a buck boost driver from what I can tell. I could be wrong.

My thought process goes like this: The forward voltage drop of an LED is around 3.0v. Most of the time a 18650 rechargeable battery is above this voltage and that would necessitate a buck driver. Thus once the battery voltage drops to the Vfwd (or near it due to the circuitry needing some overhead room to operate correctly).........then in theory to maximize and keep the current constant all throughout the full usability of the battery would need a buck-boost.

However it seems to me that heat would be more of a concern if running it continuous that long and thus it would have to step down or it would need to have temperature as a feedback to the drive level.

I also really like the light. I'm not that much into throwers, but I think its nice to have at least one. This one was not that much money (on sale that is). I wish the tail cap button was a little more protected. I tried the tail cap of my MT20C and it worked. I wouldn't mind buying a spare tail cap like that. I think Nitecore uses that same tail cap on other models too. You could tail stand it with that tail cap, but I think this light is way too top heavy to do it reliably. :)

Last edited: