*new* Olight M2X-UT Javelot: 800+ meters throw on 1x18650!

Taz80

Enlightened
I've been using mine with 2 18500's since i got it (Dec 8th) with no problems. Although I don't generally run it on high for long periods of time. It's a great spotter light for seeing between objects or through snow and rain.

Capolini

Banned
Here is a picture of my TN32's LED from a thread I started in January 2014. It was ~2 weeks old! This had proper battery configuration.

I guess my point is there is no way to tell exactly WHY and HOW that happened to the M2X? Did he verify anything in his story? Also from that first picture I have no visual verification that it has an extender,,,,,,,,,,again, even so, how do we know that is the cause?

TN32BURNTLED005_zpse1fc6eca.jpg

kj2

Flashaholic
Here is a picture of my TN32's LED from a thread I started in January 2014. It was ~2 weeks old! This had proper battery configuration.

I guess my point is there is no way to tell exactly WHY and HOW that happened to the M2X? Did he verify anything in his story? Also from that first picture I have no visual verification that it has an extender,,,,,,,,,,again, even so, how do we know that is the cause?
When you look at the first pic, you can see the knurling extends where the engraving is and there is no tactical grip ring. In order to use the extender, you have to remove the tactical grip ring.

I've no further information on this, since I only know what somebody else, not the original user, posted this on Facebook. I know Olight says it handles max 8.4V, so it should work fine with 2x 18650. It's just a heads up :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fine with 2 18650 batteries. Olight confirmed it, and I tried it.
When you look at the first pic, you can see the knurling extends where the engraving is and there is no tactical grip ring. In order to use the extender, you have to remove the tactical grip ring.

I've no further information on this, since I only know what somebody else, not the original user, posted this on Facebook. I know Olight says it handles max 8.4V, so it should work fine with 2x 18650. It's just a heads up :)

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Love this Olight flashlight,but can't imagine it can reach 800 meter distance with only one 18650 battery.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
Here is the response from Olight regarding the dark spot around the LED:

The earlier light source of M2X-UT used CREE XM-L2 LED. We improve light – concentrating effect through removing an optical lens on the LED surface.

The method of removing silica gel on LED surface by OLIGHT (first generation)
The silica gel on LED surface is an optical lens; OLIGHT adopts chemical method to remove silica gel on LED surface. After that, we will clean and stove the LED. Then we will paste LED by SMT and assembly it. (First generation method)

The reason of the LED with black spot:
The black spot around the LED illuminant body is the metal surface is oxidized; the reason of this issue is that the protection coating of LED electrode surface is broken. This protection coating is very thin and also it is not very sticky with the metal conductor, the protection coating maybe falling off or scratching by slightly touching. During the process of OLIGHT removing silica gel on LED surface, it has caused physical damage to the protection coating, and add the LED is used under the long time high temperature, result that the metal part on the protection coating will be oxidized by air and vapor, and the oxidation material will occur black spot on the LED conductor surface.

The Influence of those black spot:
LED illuminant body is located in the bottom of the yellow area, and the black spot come out is because of the conductor surface is oxidized. So it doesn't influence LED luminous flux, lighting effect and color temperature, also doesn't influence the lighting function.

The follow-up improvement of LED encapsulation:
OLIGHT has improved the method of removing silica gel on LED, after the LED by SMT, then removing the silica gel. Another will encapsulate a very thin silica gel coating on the LED, this will protect the LED effective, and at the same time, the color temperature will be improved well.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Marshall or whoever's in charge of the forum.

Tiresius

Enlightened
is it me or did they stripped the emitter from the pcb and placed it directly on a heatsink? i dont see the polarities anymore

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
Olight confirms via email, that the led has changed from XM-L2 to XP-L.

Changes on the fly, good job Olight. Now I'll have to wait for stock to clear to make sure I get the most updated model.

Thanks for the update!

Capolini

Banned
Looks on photo that there is a dome on, but not like a normal dome. More flat. See Selfbuilt's M2X review. It's in the comments.

Thanks,can u post a photo?,,,,,,,,,,,ok,,,,,,,,,,I found the photo,,,,,,,,initially thought it was just comments.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I doubt very much the XPL will throw more[not even the same] as an XML2 or XPG2.

If it did, Vinh would have been putting the XPL in my TK61vn,M25C2vn,M2Xvn ect, ect.

They must have changed primarily because of the Greenish tint. They don't have PDT like Vinh!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Olight confirms via email, that the led has changed from XM-L2 to XP-L.

I'd love to see some side by side comparisons with the XPL and XML2 but haven't anywhere. Closest I found was Eagletacs own claims on one of their lights with the option for either where they are showing approximately 5% more lumens but 17% more throw with the XPL.