New Tir installed on OG RRT-01

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of my favorite hosts.. First time installing a Tir.. required sanding down the circumference, and lifting the mcpcb with a spare mcpcb, after sanding off the solder mask and the insulated terminals..

Turned out really useful for me to illuminate where Im placing my feet when walking to the toilet in the dark. (my cat has been sick, and dropping landmines and puddles)
lift.jpg

Previously it was modded to sw45k with a replacement mcpcb and replacement reflector (because the stock light comes w an XM-L LED, mcpcb and reflector):
DDi3IYw-1.png

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you ;-)

Im happy to help answer any modding questions regarding the few lights I have experience with:

the 3 models of RRT-01, the Sunwayman V10r and V11r, the Sofirn SC21 Pro, Sofirn HS10, and the AA and AAA versions of the Lumintop Tool, and Maratac.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice mod. I've come to the realization that I prefer tir based lights. And I don't really look for reflector lights anymore. So you sanded of the insulator or the mcpcb for better thermal path? Why tir did you chose? They seem to be hard to find. The convoy ones I know aren't very good

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
tir did you chose?
20mm 45 degrees XP,
the 30 degree that works in the SC21 Pro did not produce a good beam (although I did not try it with the lifted mcpcb)

Ive been working through a few different stack heights.. such as with centering ring and without, and with and without a shim under the mcpcb.

shim is better for output, allows deleting the centering ring, which moves the led deeper into the Tir.. It IS a convoy Tir

still learning about where it is best to position the LED relative to the base of the Tir.. atm I think having the Tir rest direct on mcpcb is best, but open to anyones insights.

I dont know how to "read" the patterns on the Tir, just observing they are different.. none of the configurations lights up the entire Tir..
the two tir w sw45k are 45 degree, on right is 30 degree
tir.jpg

this album has more images and comments

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
did a test comparing a Tir and reflector:
tv.jpg

I suspect the more significant difference would be in Candela, since a diffused beam has maybe 50% of the Lux of a focused hotspot...

otoh, I dont need a focused hotspot when Im using my light indoors.

courses for horses ;-)

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What's the trick getting the bezel off the RRT-01
I tried and after a bit decided I was going to wreck it.

Have both versions, truly one of my favorite lights(y)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What's the trick getting the bezel off the RRT-01
the easiest way is to press the bezel against some grippy rubber such as bottom of a shoe, or on a silicone soldering mat. If that does not work

some people manage with needlenose pliers, held open by hand, but they can slip.. I do not use this option

I bought Snap ring pliers
They work best for me because they press open against the cutouts in the bezel and will not slip

7" External Straight
(they open when squeezing the grips)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a good TIR.
I mostly used reflectors in the past, but as my use pattern has shifted to indoors and close range in my old age, I have started using Pebbled Tir with a diffused beam a lot more.

The Wurkkos TS10 has a very floody beam, and I find that little light very useful indoors. It helped me learn that floody Tir work very well for me indoors, better than a reflector.

There are also clear Tir that produce varying degrees of focus, for throwy applications.. they are typical in weapon mount lights, and the Fraz, (I dont know what angle, pic thanks to zeroair review):
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 11.09.03 AM.png

Tir are very versatile, from floody to throwy, with various beam spread angle options

I think Okluma might be using a 10 degree (trust but verify) pebbled Tir in the DC0
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 11.05.34 AM.png

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a W2.1 might be your cup of tea..
What is the intended beam distance for your application?
View attachment 57880
pic is a link ;-)
I do love me the w2. I don't have an exact distance need. Just a preference for that style of beam. I like a punchier hotspot but that has that dim spill that lights the ground right to your feet. A narrow tir does that even with a floodier led