New Preon P1 First impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm convinced that the problem is simpler than that.

A small cylinder trying to slide through a larger cylinder will bind if there is enough play between the two and if the smaller cylinder is not pushed through directly.

I just think that the button has way to much room to twist when it is being pushed.

Seen here in the full upright position.

If you catch the button off center it will do this. There is no reason there should be so much play in this button. It jams there. And not only when you turn it on. It can also jam this way when you try to turn it off.

I think that the tolerances were just not tight enough.

Still waiting on Four Sevens to respond to my e-mail.

Eeewwwwww, that looks really bad. Hopefully they fix up those tolerances pretty fast.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
Any comparisons between the old Preons and new Preons?

Not from here. Never owned the older model. I would like to see a comparison myself.

Eeewwwwww, that looks really bad. Hopefully they fix up those tolerances pretty fast.

We will see. I sent this one back and they received it 5 days ago. Hopefully the replacement will land soon.

I will update then.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both. I actually like the newer model. I hear that they are coming out with a titanium version.
fdf3b9ba8bc60bca2aa263ebd506f6a5.jpg

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to admit that I am not much of a beam/tint aficionado. I look at if the flashlight is sufficient for my needs at the time of use.I will tell you this: In my humble opinion, the new Preon fit/finish and clicky switch are much better than the first generation.
How do the beams and tint compare?

Thanks.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to admit that I am not much of a beam/tint aficionado. I look at if the flashlight is sufficient for my needs at the time of use.I will tell you this: In my humble opinion, the new Preon fit/finish and clicky switch are much better than the first generation.

Thanks. I mainly want to know if the spot in the new Preon is wider than the spot in the old Preon as is indicated in the specs on the 4Sevens website. I would prefer the the spot to be a bit wider than on my old Preon P2.

I never bought the original Preon P1, because I prefer clickies to twisties and had no interest in buying a separate clicky tail cap.

I might buy the new Preon P1 to replace my Streamlight Microstream to get the added power levels and floodier beam, but am also considering the Coast HP2 because of it's spot to flood capabilities.

I'm quite certain that I'd like the new UI better than the old UI, with the exception of the low outputs being higher than the originals and higher than I'd prefer. It would be great if the user could a lower low of 1 or 2 lumens.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone happen to have the CRI and CCT specs for ANY of the following 3 lights? FWIW, they all use PWM:

It would be great if the user could a lower low of 1 or 2 lumens.
I agree, but 47s is moving in another direction.
The new Preon is 2.5x brighter on Low, 2x brighter on Medium and 20% brighter on High, than the Old Preon

It seems 47s want to appeal to the Streamlight ProTac customer base by using the same low, and similar config modes.

Streamlight ProTac

Low; 5 lumens
High; 70 lumens
Strobe

• Config. 1: High
  • Config. 2: Low - High
  • Config. 3: High - Strobe - Low
New Preon
Low: 5 lumens
Medium: 20 lumens
High: 100 lumens
Strobe - SOS - Beacon (hi) - Beacon (lo)

• Config. 1: High
  • Config. 2: High - Low
  • Config. 3: High - Strobe
  • Config. 4: Low - Med - High - Strobe
  • Config. 5: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS - Beacon (hi) - Beacon (lo)
Old Preon
Low: 2 lumens
Medium: 10 lumens
High: 84 lumens
Strobe, SOS, Beacon Hi, Beacon Lo

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
Quick update.

Four Sevens has had my light back since 2-3-16.

I received an e-mail today that they found that the light was non-functional just like I described and that they cannot fix it so are sending a replacement.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
So today I received a brand new Preon 1 from FourSevens.

That is one day shy of being a month from when I first contacted them.

Brand new and in the box and it basically has the same problem as the one I sent in. :thumbsdow

If I play with it I can almost convince myself that it is a little better than the last one but I am not really sure.

What now? Send this one back?

How many times do I pay shipping back to them before the shipping costs more than the light. I bought the light for $40 and it's $5 to ship back to them so I am in $45 already...

Maybe It's just time to throw in the towel on this one...:shakehead

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you push the button … if you push the edge of it it catches.

So today I received a brand new Preon 1 … it basically has the same problem as the one I sent in. :thumbsdow

sorry for your pain, thanks for warning others of the button design vulnerability to jamming

or, maybe its a feature, so the light does not activate if you carry dropped in the bottom of a pocket :devil:

Return for refund?

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heavy, your expenses for this light are already at 45. For an AAA light!!!

Please try harder to love the product, no matter what.

:buddies:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your inconvenience(s)...

I would say given the price of the light in question, and the fact that yoou can still reasonably utilize it for its intended purpose - and would probably be best to learn to live with its flaws... Is this your primary carry flashlight? If so, maybe look for another more reliable AAA option, and use the Preon as a back-up light, or maybe one you can keep in your vehicle or throw in a winter jacket pocket...

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
I'll let this be my last word on this light and this whole experience.

Four Sevens moved slower than I thought they would on the warranty. Based on the testimonials I've read. Not terribly slow but enough so that I felt like a bother to them.

On further playing with this light it is not as bad as the one I sent back.

The clickie grinds more than the last one but it doesn't bind as often.

This light is still exactly what I was looking for.

It just has a problem with the clickie.

UI and brightness and form and clip are all exactly what I wanted.

I'll work with it.

And I'll move on.

Lets all move on.

One last question. How do you put so much thought into a great light and forget the most basic thing.

The on button doesn't work right.

EDIT TO ADD: I emailed them and they were very apologetic. They offered to send another light without me sending this one back. I said that i would like that and then they said they would send me a new body.
They sent an e-mail that it was shipped.

Update when it arrives.

UPDATE: They sent me a whole new light. It arrived today.

Same problem plus the clickie button sticks in the down position.

Sigh...

I was going to just live with it but then it stopped working. I was trying to program it and it just stopped working. No light at all...

I am so disappointing with this whole thing.

I've had three of these in my hands and the clickie was awful on all of them. Bad design. Bad manufacturing. Good customer service.

Update. They offered a refund. Solid company.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let this be my last word on this light and this whole experience.

Four Sevens moved slower than I thought they would on the warranty. Based on the testimonials I've read. Not terribly slow but enough so that I felt like a bother to them.

On further playing with this light it is not as bad as the one I sent back.

The clickie grinds more than the last one but it doesn't bind as often.

This light is still exactly what I was looking for.

It just has a problem with the clickie.

UI and brightness and form and clip are all exactly what I wanted.

I'll work with it.

And I'll move on.

Lets all move on.

One last question. How do you put so much thought into a great light and forget the most basic thing.

The on button doesn't work right.

EDIT TO ADD: I emailed them and they were very apologetic. They offered to send another light without me sending this one back. I said that i would like that and then they said they would send me a new body.
They sent an e-mail that it was shipped.

Update when it arrives.

UPDATE: They sent me a whole new light. It arrived today.

Same problem plus the clickie button sticks in the down position.

Sigh...

I was going to just live with it but then it stopped working. I was trying to program it and it just stopped working. No light at all...

I am so disappointing with this whole thing.

I've had three of these in my hands and the clickie was awful on all of them. Bad design. Bad manufacturing. Good customer service.

Update. They offered a refund. Solid company.

This is disappointing to hear regarding the new Preons. :( I'm sorry to hear all you went through. It's never fun to be excited to get a new flashlight and it turn into a headache and problems. That said, thank you for posting your experience and keeping us updated. You just saved me $40. :thumbsup:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did everything conceivable to get you back to square one, yet this entire thread is still full of negativity and complaints, left unedited and not deleted. Somehow not very fair imho towards the company. Wasn't your right to complain about the product quality forfeited when you accepted their generous customer service to get you back to square one, such that you could forget about their product quality and move on, as if you had never tried not touched this product? rhetorical question, so never mind.
I don't understand this comment?

This thread serves to warn others that there might be a legitimate problem with the new light and I know I will not be trying one now until I hear otherwise.

The company stepping up to refund his money seems like the one thing they did right here but can not change the basic substance of the light not working correctly after 3 different attempts.

Am I wrong?

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
They did everything conceivable to get you back to square one, yet this entire thread is still full of negativity and complaints, left unedited and not deleted. Somehow not very fair imho towards the company. Wasn't your right to complain about the product quality forfeited when you accepted their generous customer service to get you back to square one, such that you could forget about their product quality and move on, as if you had never tried not touched this product? rhetorical question, so never mind.

I'll not edit anything in this thread.

I said they are a solid company because they really tried to help even to the point of a full refund.

How on Earth does that forfeit my right to give an honest opinion which is based on actual experience? :confused:

I still like many of their lights. In fact I keep an ML-X close by at all times and I love it.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand this comment?

This thread serves to warn others that there might be a legitimate problem with the new light and I know I will not be trying one now until I hear otherwise.

The company stepping up to refund his money seems like the one thing they did right here but can not change the basic substance of the light not working correctly after 3 different attempts.

Am I wrong?

Right. At the end of the day they could not get a light with a good clickie to me after 3 tries.

It's just a fact.

EDIT: Maybe a Mod can shut this thread down. I don't think there is any value going any further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.