New Release - OLight Seeker 2 Pro (3200 Pocket Flooder) Full Review

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Hey again guys, another exciting release from OLight! I've been personally looking forward to a new pocket flooder for a while. I've had this review unit for what feels like forever. OLight swore me to secrecy until today. While impatiently waiting I've managed to capture some 180 clips (nightmare to edit) which I've included the best in my YouTube review and CPF review below. Hope you guy's like it!:) I'm certainly not the most scientific reviewer, but I enjoy our hobby and most importantly I enjoy giving something back to our humble community.

Of course any questions or tests requests for the Seeker 2 Pro are welcomed while its still in my possession.

- Video Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNRx2zZyOs

- Written Review
Last year we reviewed the X9R, OLights 25,000 lumen monster flooder. Now it would appear were seeing double, with the new Seeker 2 Pro borrowing many of its features. This includes the same user interface, silicone grips and feedback LEDs. All this wrapped up pocket friendly package with 3200 lumens of output. In this review we will run through the key features, operation and our overall conclusion.

While many features have been borrowed from the X9R, the Seeker 2 Pro also features a number of incremental design updates of its own. Most notedly the Seeker 2 Pro is quite small for a 3,200 lumen pocket flooder. We've seen similar flashlights such as the older R50 Seeker Pro which were not nearly as pocket friendly. In-fact the Seeker 2 Pro's head is about 20% smaller than its predecessor. OLight has taken upon its experience with TIR optics to create a triple TIR rather the typical single XHP70. This produces a smooth and even beam without the need for a reflector. This, combined with the 27100 battery has allowed for the overall size reduction.

Then there's the interface. OLight has continued to include solid user feedback with LED gauge's for both the output and battery levels. The left side show's the brightness level while the right side the battery level. Having user feedback allows the user to make a more informed output selection based on the remaining battery capacity.

While it is unusual to have a section to discuss the flashlight grip in my reviews. It is worth mentioning the Seeker 2 Pro's grip is excellent. Not only does it provide a decent amount of traction, it also provides heat protection when the flashlight is in turbo mode. The styling also matches the Seeker 2 Pro well, almost making it appear like a mini X9R.

The Seeker 2 Pro comes with OLight's updated MCC or Magnetic Charge Cable. This allows the flashlight to charge at 1 amp, which is somewhat faster than the original MMC which was rated at 500 milliamps. In our testing, a full charged Seeker 2 Pro took 6 hours and 30 minutes to complete. Given the large capacity 5000mah 21700 battery, this charge time isn't too unreasonable.

OLight has also included what they are calling the L-Dock. This is a magnetic mount allowing the flashlight to be docked in a fixed position for charging. OLight includes 3M adhesive tape, mounting screws and even a set of cable management cable clips in the box. Rather usefully the L-Dock mounted perfectly in our USB equipped centre console, keeping the flashlight charged while we on the road.

The Seeker 2 Pro includes 5 light modes and one flashing modes. This includes moonlight at 5 lumens, low at 50 lumens, medium at 300 Lumens, high at 1,200 lumens and turbo at 3,200 lumens. The Seeker 2 Pro will stepdown for both of its highest modes, including at 110 minutes for high and at 2 minutes for turbo. Runtime varies between 12 days on the moonlight mode to 150 minutes on turbo mode after stepping down.

To switch on The Seeker 2 Pro press the side button once. This will switch on the flashlight in the previously selected mode. Pressing the side button again will switch off the flashlight. To cycle through the 5 light modes, press and hold the side button while the flashlight is on. Pressing and holding the side button from off will access the lowest mode while double tapping the side button from either on or off will access the turbo mode. Both 3 minute and 9 minute timers are available by double tapping and holding the side button from any of the light modes. This will automatically switch off the flashlight when the selected time is reached. Finally to lock out the flashlight, hold the side button for more then 2 seconds when the flashlight is off.

After travelling the past 10 days with the Seeker 2 Pro, we were impressed with both its compact size and output. Combine this with the silicone grips and LED gauges makes this one of OLight's best new releases this year. If you're in the market for a pocket flooder the Seeker 2Pro would definitely be worth your consideration.

As always we need to thank OLight Australia for keeping us up to date with their latest products and allowing us to evaluation and review The Seeker 2 Pro prior to its release.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

DiamondG

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review your shots are incredible. I'm in the market for a pocket flooder myself and this looks pretty sweet! How pocket friendly is it? I understand it will be bigger than say a Baton series. Would it be comfortable cargo pants?

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Welcome back to CPF! Great to see another one of your videos. I've always had a soft spot for TIR flooders & OLight in general. I can feel my wallet getting lighter already heh:)

Last edited:

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks GetFlashed, appreciate the kind words! I find TIR's produce quite a useful beam for EDC though they do often lack throw. What's good with this Seeker 2 Pro is the sheer 3200 lumens output gives it decent throw too. Quite handy.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I don't need another Olight, but I am guessing that the flash sale price on Friday the 3rd will be around 89.99. Just a guess.

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Heh, couldn't agree more. I'm not sure any of us need another flashlight. Yet somehow we still have drawers full of them... Maybe if they finally release the perfect flashlight we will all be cured?

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
I don't think manufacturers make perfect flashlights on purpose to keep us coming back. The closest I've ever come was with a Zebralight which was very customisable. That said the Seeker 2 Pro comes close - 32k lumen, nice useful beam, solid user interface, brightness/ battery level indicators, USB rechargeable, cool grips etc... I would have only asked for faster charging and a lower moonlight. But those are the only critiques I have. I'll be ordering one from the flash sale.:)

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the OLight flashsale is offering 40% off with an extra L-Dock and 30% off without the bundle. Hmm, tempted to get a spare at this price:eek:oo: mussst resist urrrrge!

Links to flash sales: AU Link, US Link, UK Link

DiamondG

Newly Enlightened
The bundle with the L-Dock @ 40% off looks like the one to go for. It's only $5 more and you get an extra MCC and L-Dock. Maybe the OP can confirm with OLight what these are worth alone?

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
In my region the L-Dock is sold separately for $39.95 AUD, which is about $28 USD. $5 more seems very reasonable. The L-Dock itself feels solid and is useful if you have other MCC OLights.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
In my region the L-Dock is sold separately for $39.95 AUD, which is about $28 USD. $5 more seems very reasonable. The L-Dock itself feels solid and is useful if you have other MCC OLights.

Wow! 28 USD for an L-Dock? The Olight US guy is suggesting to buy a bank of them and set up all your olights right next to each other, and then just grab the light you want when leaving the house. He has a bank of 10 L-Docks in his office that would be 280 USD just for charging docks. He says he wants one at home in his garage so he can just grab the one he wants on the way out the door that day. Hope he never forgets and leaves the garage door up. Someone might end up with 10 new flashlights.

drugdependant

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused, was this an ad or a review? Being a thrower, do you have any info of its usable throw distance on high?

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, I mean for my review to sound like ad:shrug: I'll take that as feedback and improve on my next review. Making videos for me is way to give back to the community for a hobby which I love so much. I spend hours and hours working on them:fail::laughing:

Here's what I missed: I consider the Seeker 2 Pro a flooder not a thrower. The beam distance is 250m and the Candela is 15600. Any tests or comparisons you're after let's me know. More then happy to help:)

Last edited:

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Wow! 28 USD for an L-Dock? The Olight US guy is suggesting to buy a bank of them and set up all your olights right next to each other

Lol, I saw that too. I'd rather spend my money on more flashlights then an excessive amount of docks. That said for 5 bucks more during the flash sale it's worthwhile. When they are back to full price I would be thinking twice.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused, was this an ad or a review? Being a thrower, do you have any info of its usable throw distance on high?
He was given the light for a review, so no matter what he thinks, Olight considers it part of their advertising.

Contrary to what he said in the video, it looked to me on the initial pole shot and a couple others the R50 has a more usable throw. It could have been the tint of the light that made the more distant object more visible, but I suspect it just has more throw. Also he said the beams were hard to tell apart, but that also seems to really depend on what he was lighting, the tint certainly seems quite different.

I have no idea why he would prefer the new Ldock, it's like a toy. The cradle of the R50 is way more useful for practical applications, the Ldock is a bit of a joke. Even on the Olight site they state it is not intended for mounding in a vehicle because it does not have the holding power. It would end up on the floor. It seems even thought the light has a nice battery level indicator it was not tested for true accuracy, and OLight says not to leave it connected to the charger, so both the light and the charger appear to be dumb and allow for over charging. He stayed clear of the proprietary battery issues.

While the rubber grip might sound like a nice idea, you now have a high wear area on the light, and heat and exposure to different elements may mean it will be turning sticky or peeling in no time. We'll have to wait to see how this design really holds up.

He basically took it out of the box and played with it, and clearly that was not enough for him to give a solid review of the product, but enough for a bit of modern advertising with steep biases.

Still if you really understand the issues and tradeoffs with this light, it seems like a good light if you can get it for less than $100, and plan to use it frequently. For infrequent use it may have a relatively short life span as the proprietary batteries will likely only be available for a few years. So an infrequent user may find that even will little use, after several years they can't use the light because of battery issues, and a perfectly good light needs to be recycled. Of course that maybe 5-10 years down the road, but in terms of runtime, a very small amount.

There was no mention if the light would work with a standard 21700 if you gave up the magnetic charging capability, to me this is very important question; advertising never really discusses these types of issues. At the retail price I think it is over priced, but on sale it may make sense for some people.

Last edited:

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your feedback:) I've clarified a few points below, I hope this helps. If there's any specific testing you're after i'm more then happy to help.

1. It's she not he. I guess this isn't completely clear unless you watched the video rather then reading the review.

2. We EDCed the flashlight for weeks including on our road trip around Australia. I can understand the confusion as the flashlight was only just announced. We have had a prototype for over a month which will be returned to OLight soon.

3. Silicone Grips - We found the grips excellent. They provide decent traction and heat protection which is especially useful on a pocket flooder. How will they wear a year or two from now? It's too soon to say. We did cycle the turbo mode hundreds of times while on our trip and didn't seen any change or stickyness. I wouldn't worry too much, given the 5 year warranty from a reputable brand.

4. User Feedback - I'm a big fan of user feedback on flashlights. This allows the user to make a more informed output selection. For example say the flashlight is at 50% capacity and you will be free camping for another week - then you know not to use turbo mode excessively. The Seeker 2 Pro user feedback is well thought, following the KISS principle. All the information you need is shown on two LED gauges. Brightness and battery level. No need to cycle through screens or count the number of flashes. Very useful feature in my opinion!

5. The L-Dock is great for those with MCC flashlights. A little pricey but the quality is top notch. I didn't comment on the R50's dock as I don't have one to compare. If this is something your interested in seeing I can see if I can borrow one from OLight:)

3. OLight did provide this flashlight for review. As has Fenix, Klarus, Imalant and Rofus in the past. There are also a number of other brands which have provided flashlights which I chose not review as I considered them "average". Not terrible but not exceptional. Each video takes quite a number of hours to complete and I really need to be passionate about a flashlight to spend my time to review it. Maybe my excitement shows too much in my reviews? I'm still learning and improving with each new video. I definitely appreciate your feedback!

Last edited:

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
You mentioned that the OP just did just an unboxing, though you gave your opinion on all parts of the flashlight without even touching one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and IMO the OP did a great job.

Last edited:

ro.ma.

Enlightened
I fully agree with what StandardBattery said. I add that the Seeker 2 PRO rolls, the magnet is only used for the L-dock as it takes little hold, does not charge externally on a charger, the MOON of 5 lumens is too high etc. etc.
I think the 5100 mAh Acebeam 21700, which I tested, is the only battery, and of course the Olight, that can make the new Seeker 2 PRO work.
In conclusion well the new 21700 battery format, good beam and runtime but then too many limitations on the actual use.
And then a lot of advertising but too high a price.

colin.p

Newly Enlightened
Too bad there isn't a "like" button on this forum, but I think you did a fine job. Some may think otherwise but there you go. The Seeker 2 Pro isn't on my "to buy" list, as the M2R Warrior is all the flashlight I need at this time. Along with my 2 other EDC Olights, I'm good for now.

Last edited: