New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

indigon

Enlightened
I would love to see another design.

I'm definitely a clip (and lanyard) guy. So far the best substitute rotary clip I've found is the Streamlight 1L/2L clip-on.

Tight, cheap, fits in a holster, stays put.

Only drawback is it fits on so tight you may scratch your light adding/removing the clip if not careful.

The universal clip around the tail never appealed to me..

Not to take anything away from this thread and I know you guys are tired of seeing this.. It works.

6l57QsY.jpg

Sos24

Enlightened
I would love to see another design.

I'm definitely a clip (and lanyard) guy. So far the best substitute rotary clip I've found is the Streamlight 1L/2L clip-on.
[snip]

I tried the original universal clip and didn't really like having to secure on rotary.

After seeing @Indigon mention the Streamlight 1L/2L on another thread, I tried the Streamlight 1L 1AA with a lanyard to secure it. It isn't deep carry but allows bezel up or down clipping and works well for my purposes.
71e90df55e50d134c3ba4847cf523a7f.jpg

indigon

Enlightened
Nice setup. I also found adding one or more 5/8" common sink o-rings to the throat will keep the lanyard and clip tight and prevent it from moving around..

flashlight nut

Enlightened
rSA7lLu.jpg

I like the Fenix LD22 clip. I tuck the lanyard behind my belt and it catches the HDS in the event it separates from the clip. This has happened a couple of times over the course of a few years but I have never lost a light or a clip. It does cause wear around the light where the clip attaches to the light but I carry my HDS as a kickass tool and not jewelry. I have the same setup with my brass HDS, which I now carry exclusively. Oddly enough, the brass HDS does not show any wear where the clip attaches. Probably because there is no anno to wear off.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
There is a "How do you carry your HDS" thread. Let's not confuse it with this thread which is specifically about this proto clip. ;)

flashlight nut

Enlightened
There is a "How do you carry your HDS" thread. Let's not confuse it with this thread which is specifically about this proto clip. ;)
Understood. But these responses show how rotary users carry their lights, which could be valuable feedback in the development of future clips for the rotary.

indigon

Enlightened
Totally agree. Really enjoy seeing how folks have adapted different clip methods for their HDS lights. I believe a totally acceptable HDS universal clip will definitely require some thinking "out of the box".. (Probably stupid simple). -JMHO. Keep those suggestions coming.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a clip but still a very reliable and simple solution that doesn't involve tying knots and having braiding skills. I ve also built it to work for other methods of operation including keeping your keys safe on a boat trip as well as other activities.
If anyone wants to know pm me

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Totally forgot about this thread.lol are we still looking for a clip for a rotary?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you can't just leave us in suspense, can you?

Well I've seen the clips online for the Fenix, Cree, or maglight lights or similar and some will clip around the HDS "waist"
And I m thinking what if a clip similar to that could be made with a 2 part design (the clip and body area with a gap and 2 screw holes) on the upper part where it would circle the tail area and then a "front" cover where the screws would go through and connect that to the rear part therefore securing it to the light. Maybe rubber lining to prevent marks on the body and have the clip profile similar to the modoo clips... strong with large curve area so no holes in the jeans. I still like the idea of screw holes in the tail near the tailcap just under it.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Redesigning the bezel with say a flat area with tapped holes or tapping into the light itself is really the only way I see a permanent solution to this problem. Both will never happen I believe. If a flat protruding area of the bezel was designed with a couple of tapped holes it could be used as a clip mount a bike mount a helmet mount etc etc.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the pocket clip, why not attach it in a manner similar to the way Olight does it? No screws… it would seem that a minor change might make it possible to attach a clip rather easily.

if the groove for the clip was near the bezel, the clip / groove could be made in such a way as to cause The bezel to be tightened on the clip to keep it ultra secure.

i have been pretty happy with the Olight style clips😎

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the pocket clip, why not attach it in a manner similar to the way Olight does it? No screws… it would seem that a minor change might make it possible to attach a clip rather easily.

if the groove for the clip was near the bezel, the clip / groove could be made in such a way as to cause The bezel to be tightened on the clip to keep it ultra secure.

i have been pretty happy with the Olight style clips😎
Because clip-on clips suck. They are not secure, most of the time very flimsy, and dont slide in/out of the pocket very well due to the "bump" or "rise" where the clip attaches to the body. Every good clip is either: screwed-in, slotted (surefire) or solid ring construction that is placed between body and tailcap/head. I prefer screwed constitution by far. Best clip Ive ever used remains the MDC clip.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing will happen until the new light but my two ideas are to have either the Rotary switch cap or the bezel have holes in it (as an option which means we would have to keep both holy and unholy in stock). It would be spaced so people could use any of those highly expensive custom clips found on other high end lights. I'm very much leaning toward the bezel having them just to **** off the people who have to have bezel down carry... or because it just makes more sense given how the Rotary mechanism works.

klackey

Enlightened
Nothing will happen until the new light but my two ideas are to have either the Rotary switch cap or the bezel have holes in it (as an option which means we would have to keep both holy and unholy in stock). It would be spaced so people could use any of those highly expensive custom clips found on other high end lights. I'm very much leaning toward the bezel having them just to **** off the people who have to have bezel down carry... or because it just makes more sense given how the Rotary mechanism works.
A sincere thankyou for taking a real consideration on us "odd balls" who require a solid clip on our working lights.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very glad to hear this. And I support having the screw holes on the bezel rather than the tailcap. Usually I prefer bezel down carry, but in this case I prefer having the clip not move with the rotary knob as it's easier to spin the knob while keeping a solid grip on the light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because clip-on clips suck. They are not secure, most of the time very flimsy, and dont slide in/out of the pocket very well due to the "bump" or "rise" where the clip attaches to the body. Every good clip is either: screwed-in, slotted (surefire) or solid ring construction that is placed between body and tailcap/head. I prefer screwed constitution by far. Best clip Ive ever used remains the MDC clip.
I'm quite happy with the MDC clip👍