New Surefire EB1 Clicky (Beamshots added) - Review and runtime results

Glock 22

Enlightened
Re: Real life experiences - E1B vs EB1

Awesome review, dead on accuracy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: New Surefire EB1 Clicky - Review and runtime results

Actually I didn't know about that size! Where to get it?

The 17650 will be unprotected and the 17670 protected. AW sells 17650's, also Lighthound, if I recall.

Bill

Quiksilver

Enlightened

I'll give it a shot with the results through 3 hours. It should be noted that none of the lights were putting out anything remotely resembling their rated output after that time so I believe the results at 2 hours, give or take a little, are probably the most relevant. I don't know if this is the best way to present this information or if it will be meaningful.

The EB1 leads the pack up until the 96 minute mark when it is surpassed by the L1. As the test progresses to the point that the lights are more or less in moonlight mode the E1B continues to gain on the EB1 but never catches it over the 3 hour period. I cut the tests off at this point so I don't know how long the EB1 and E1B would have continued running but I don't think it would have ever caught the EB1.

The first chart just shows the cumulative readings over time (Reading 1 + Reading 2 + Reading 3, etc.):

E1B_EB1_L1_Cumulative1.jpg

The second chart shows the same results on a stacked area chart. If all three lights had identical results, the chart would look like 3 identical horizontal bars. Any variance from this results in bars of differing thickness (in proportion to the light's cumulative output at that point):

E1B_EB1_L1_Cumulative2.jpg

This chart highlights that for the first 30+ minutes the EB1 puts out nearly as much light as the E1B and L1 combined.

I hope this helps.

Excellent, thank you.

Has more meaning to me than some of the other runtime comparisons.

Seems to confirm that until the 70-80 minute mark, the EB1 is quite a superior light, followed by similarity to the E1B until lights out.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems to confirm that until the 70-80 minute mark, the EB1 is quite a superior light, followed by similarity to the E1B until lights out.

It seems to me to confirm that the E1B has a runtime curve gerrymandered to hit the 200 lumen mark for advertising purposes with little increase in efficiency. The area under the curves of the original runtime plots look comparable to my eye.

An unregulated light would have a great looking 'cumulative' runtime curve since it would not have the power loss of a regulation circuit, right? It would have a lousy (in my opinion) runtime curve since the output would steadily decline like an old incandescent. Sort of like the EB1, come to think of it. I realize that most LED emitters cannot be driven by a single cell lithium battery without some sort of active driver circuit.

It is amazing to me that the classic SF line can take so long to come up with an update only to have an 'old' emitter. The A2L Aviator is another example, the update was long awaited only to have the light issued with an old SSC P4 LED, anemic if you're looking for frost on the wingtip of a Boeing in my personal experience. I own several A2L's, great light etc., just an old main LED emitter. I guess you could say the SF A2L was an instant 'classic'.

Oddly, other threads here seem to indicate the SF has already gone to the new Nichia 219 emitters for an update in the value line of 6PX and G2X lights introduced only a couple of years ago. Wonder if the value line of SF's will go after the single cell or AA segments of the market?

I'm sure the debate about the runtime curve will continue but many of the other observations seem to be common to those of us who have the early EB1 deliveries:

Initial TIR beam is tight and bright.

The tint is greenish on low.

The EB1 tailcap seems to be deliberately designed not to Lego with earlier E-series compatible parts. [As pointed out in posts below, the EB1 head will fit on older E-series lights - Vox]

The clicky tailcap barely misses the ability to tailstand without wobbling, unlike the SF Z68 tailcap and the E2D tailcap.

AW rechargeables don't work in the EB1 (as with the L1, for example).

Fit and finish are comparable to earlier E-series SF's.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure the debate about the runtime curve will continue but many of the other observations seem to be common to those of us who have the early EB1 deliveries:

Initial TIR beam is tight and bright.

The tint is greenish on low.

The EB1 seems to be deliberately designed not to Lego with earlier E-series compatible parts.

The clicky tailcap barely misses the ability to tailstand without wobbling, unlike the SF Z68 tailcap and the E2D tailcap.

AW rechargeables don't work in the EB1 (as with the L1, for example).

Fit and finish are comparable to earlier E-series SF's.

I agree, with one clarification. It is just the tailcap that can't be swapped with the older series. The head, as you noted in the other thread, is E-series compatible.

To me it's the same as the UB3T and M3LT with their two-stage momentary tailcaps being incompatible with the C/G/P/Z-series bodies.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened

I agree, with one clarification. It is just the tailcap that can't be swapped with the older series. The head, as you noted in the other thread, is E-series compatible.

To me it's the same as the UB3T and M3LT with their two-stage momentary tailcaps being incompatible with the C/G/P/Z-series bodies.

So could you put the head on an E1B body and use its clicky?

I was wondering about getting the tactical version and putting the head on the E1B body, but not sure it will work correctly with that tailcap....I think Robin mentioned they used different heads.

jturner97

Newly Enlightened

I was wondering if someone could try running their lx2 head on a single aw16340 and plug the results into the graph at the top of this thread.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

So could you put the head on an E1B body and use its clicky?

I was wondering about getting the tactical version and putting the head on the E1B body, but not sure it will work correctly with that tailcap....I think Robin mentioned they used different heads.

Yes the EB1 clicky head works perfectly on an E1B body. I think Vox mentioned in one of his posts that was how he preferred to carry his. I have also tried it successfully on a Vital Gear FB1 body and, just for kicks, an LX2 body with a dummy battery.

I do not know how the head from the EB1 tactical will behave when paired with a clicky tailcap. If it's anything like the head on my LX2 it will work, but with high mode only.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got three E1B's, one I keep in the coat pocket, one in the brief case and one in the house, and the EB1 flat out destroys them. I've so far used mine off and on for a week or so now, total run time~45 minutes and it's still brighter than any of them. The runtime graph in the OP is spot on.

I'm not a big fan of the new clickie talcap so I threw the EB1 head on an E1B body with E2DL Tail cap, still compact and tail stands. I do foresee some confusion in the future when there are two "back up"body floating around though for people with older E series tailcaps.

Last edited:

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened

Both versions of the light use the same head.

Thats great. Means I can get the tactical version and have the the clicky just by putting it on my E1B body!
At least that settles which version Im getting....

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was wondering if someone could try running their lx2 head on a single aw16340 and plug the results into the graph at the top of this thread.

The LX2 head on an E1L body with 1x AW16340 looks like an overachieving E1B for about an hour. I terminated the test at 90 minutes but I don't think it would have run much longer before the battery protection circuit kicked in.

I had never considered that combination before and I was surprised at the results. Thank you for suggesting it.

EB1_E1B_L1_LX2on16340_chart.jpg

jturner97

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for running that test I was wondering what the curve would look like.

Machete God

Enlightened

Both versions of the light use the same head.
Thank you Robin, for this choice morsel of information.

Wouldn't this mean that the EB1T will actually switch modes if the user "clicked" the tactical tail switch fast enough? For example, if I wanted to manually "strobe" a target, will the light be alternating between high and low outputs each time it came on?

ldz

Newly Enlightened

Nice review, can't wait to get it.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you Robin, for this choice morsel of information.

Wouldn't this mean that the EB1T will actually switch modes if the user "clicked" the tactical tail switch fast enough? For example, if I wanted to manually "strobe" a target, will the light be alternating between high and low outputs each time it came on?
No, the tactical version works the way it should. You can get a strobe effect by alternating between the momentary modes.

dbwebbsr

Newly Enlightened

Anyone with a real world comparison between the new EB1 & an older E1B outfitted w/ an M31 in a VME head?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own a VME/M31N setup, and had some playtime on a EB1. Both are 200+ lumens OTF. As far as beams, there is no apples to apples comparison. The EB1 is a throw beam, and the M31 is more a floody beam. Over all output is relatively the same between the two. The M31N has better output regulation on High than the EB1. The EB1's output declines almost like direct drive lights do. For the better part of an hour, the EB1's percieved output to your eyes will appear brighter than the M31 because of the intense hotspot produced from the TIR optic. But, the M31 hold's it's max output longer and will be brighter thru it's runtime. Hope this helps.

Anyone with a real world comparison between the new EB1 & an older E1B outfitted w/ an M31 in a VME head?