*New* Surefire Sidekick 300 lumen Keychain Light

photon1c

Newly Enlightened

The first Sidekick has a serial number in the familiar AXXXXX format, on the new light the serial is replaced by 1F-139252 on all units.

Not a bad light for $20, I doubt I would have bought another one at the normal $70 street price though.

Mine says 1F-139255
There is also a 2D barcode present near this number

I wonder what the difference in numbers indicates?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine says 1F-139255
There is also a 2D barcode present near this number

I wonder what the difference in numbers indicates?

Is it a production batch or firmware version perhaps? Does it tell how old the battery is like the 'use before' date on the SF CR123A cells?

I bought several of the $20 Sidekicks on sale and gave away all but one.

Are these sealed lithium polymer battery lights really the future of handheld tactical flashlights as the 2019 Surefire catalog implies? :confused:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
For a "tactical" light or military application, it may make sense to have a light that is simply disposed of after say one to three years to make way for potentially new technology, but for me, a light with a built in battery is an absolute no go because it's not meant to be a long service life light.
The idea is probably that that will help with sales when you need to buy a new light....

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also got a few of these for the cheap Holiday price and I would say there is little chance that they are the future of handheld tactical lighting.

Or at least I hope not?

Is it a production batch or firmware version perhaps? Does it tell how old the battery is like the 'use before' date on the SF CR123A cells?

I bought several of the $20 Sidekicks on sale and gave away all but one.

Are these sealed lithium polymer battery lights really the future of handheld tactical flashlights as the 2019 Surefire catalog implies? :confused:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also got a few of these for the cheap Holiday price and I would say there is little chance that they are the future of handheld tactical lighting.

Or at least I hope not?

And just to be a little more clear, the original quote was actually about the Stiletto in the 2019 SF catalog:

From the '40 Years of Innovation' spread on page 9 of the 2019 SF catalog linked above: '2018 - Stiletto represents the future of tactical hand-held illumination tools'.

The Stiletto seems to be a descendant of the Sidekick as does the Guardian. Will these sealed lights someday replace the E series?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh,I was responding to the title of the thread and just figured that your post was regarding that and your quote mentions the Sidekick only that I see?

Nevermind.

And just to be a little more clear, the original quote was actually about the Stiletto in the 2019 SF catalog:

The Stiletto seems to be a descendant of the Sidekick as does the Guardian. Will these sealed lights someday replace the E series?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh,I was responding to the title of the thread and just figured that your post was regarding that and your quote mentions the Sidekick only that I see?

Nevermind.

I should have expressed my thoughts a little better. I am kinda surprised after the drastic price drop that a new version of the Sidekick wasn't introduced at SHOT 2019.