*NEW* Surefire Titan-A (1*AAA, 15/125 lumen)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for keeping us updated. I will own several I am sure. Praying for no green.

Funny thing about the green tint, anyone but one of us would probably never know! lol I can't for the life of me see how they missed the boat on that. I think the Fury is a great entry level light and great user. I guess answered my self: Possibly, they figured the target audience wouldn't notice. However many folks in the target audience look to folks who are in the hobby to guide them. I don't recommend them because of the tint. But, who knows.

Anyways, I can wait to see how it is assembled, or more importantly disassembled. You used Apple. They are kinda like apple, make them hard to take apart and repair or mod. Ironic analogy you had. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
Since the days of Lumaray have came and passed there isn't been a flashlight manufacturer that I know that stayed absolutely unique without adapting some design aesthetics from some other company.

robert.t

Enlightened
Lol $60 for an AAA light ... no thanks.

My Klarus Mi X6 Ti cost more than that and I was pretty disappointed with it (currently sitting in a drawer as a potential backup for use someday, perhaps; at least it's better than the Nitecore T5S, which was also nearly 60 of your US dollars).

This at least has a chance of actually being worth the money. I still haven't found a single AAA light that I consider sufficiently fit for purpose that it could be my only EDC. Fenix E05 SS is close but it's heavy, has a plastic lens and I've been having some weird reliability problems with mine. I'd gladly pay around $60 for a AAA light that is small enough to keep on a keyring at all times, has in intuitive UI, can be used one-handed, has sensible mode spacing, no blinky modes (except maybe a well hidden locator beacon mode), a usable beam profile, good runtimes/efficiency and is both rugged and extremely reliable. A good tint and higher CRI would be nice-to-haves, but I'd prefer an "acceptable" tint and high efficiency (not necessarily high output: longer runtimes matter more in a AAA light).

I've tried many. Still haven't found one like this.

I'm hopeful for Surefire to pull it off, as possibly the only light manufacturer capable of taking the Apple-like approach and actually designing their lights to do some specific jobs well, instead of just throwing in bullet-point features and chasing insane lumen figures.

robert.t

Enlightened
Looks alot to me like a Fenix styled light. :thinking:...:confused:

FWIW, I'm not really seeing the Fenix design influence here. If anything the hexagonal cutaway body shape is reminiscent of later Inovas. Overall I'd say it looks pretty distinctive, and I'm hoping the UI is more like the other Titans which I've never tried, but they sound a lot more usable than Fenix (and similar) multi-mode twisties. Having only discovered them recently, I now wish I'd picked up a T1A when they were out.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design reminds me a bit like my Inova XS that I attach to my keychain. Two mode only twisty at the tail.

The problem I have with twsities is that dust gets accumulated at the o-ring in just a couple of days of use. The lube will also dry up really fast. I hope the SureFire Titan-A will not have this issue.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Klarus Mi X6 Ti cost more than that and I was pretty disappointed with it (currently sitting in a drawer as a potential backup for use someday, perhaps; at least it's better than the Nitecore T5S, which was also nearly 60 of your US dollars).

This at least has a chance of actually being worth the money. I still haven't found a single AAA light that I consider sufficiently fit for purpose that it could be my only EDC. Fenix E05 SS is close but it's heavy, has a plastic lens and I've been having some weird reliability problems with mine. I'd gladly pay around $60 for a AAA light that is small enough to keep on a keyring at all times, has in intuitive UI, can be used one-handed, has sensible mode spacing, no blinky modes (except maybe a well hidden locator beacon mode), a usable beam profile, good runtimes/efficiency and is both rugged and extremely reliable. A good tint and higher CRI would be nice-to-haves, but I'd prefer an "acceptable" tint and high efficiency (not necessarily high output: longer runtimes matter more in a AAA light).

I've tried many. Still haven't found one like this.

I'm hopeful for Surefire to pull it off, as possibly the only light manufacturer capable of taking the Apple-like approach and actually designing their lights to do some specific jobs well, instead of just throwing in bullet-point features and chasing insane lumen figures.

Check out this light: http://darksucks.com/store_BetaQR.html

robert.t

Enlightened
Last edited:

JKolmo

Enlightened
The BetaQR is really nice. It however has nasty PWM on lower levels.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting. But I don't get what it is with high-end lights having the design sensibilities of something you'd expect to find at a swingers' party.

That ribbed style is a style known as a "worm". Variations of it have been in custom and production lights for a long time. It started out as a variation off the theme of circumferential grooves in the bodies, which were then rounded for a smoother result. Some like it, and some don't.

busseguy

Enlightened

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading somewhere else that this has 200 lumens and runs for 75 minutes.

So how is it possible that the Titan A only has 125 lumens and can do only 30 something minutes?

Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Look at it this way. Published specs mean nothing until your holding it in your hand with a user manuel. That has been my experience, Im not sure exactly why this is.