*NEW* Surefire Titan-A (1*AAA, 15/125 lumen)

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave them a call just now, but all representatives were busy, so took the option to have them call me back later when my turn is reached in the line. Just hope they call back lol...

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally had the time to give them a call today. Called and got connected with a representative in less than two minutes. He asked me if I had tried changing the battery; I said yes, so told me to give him my shipping and whatnot. All in all, very happy with how it was handled!

Btw: Apparently turnaround time I kind of slow rn. It's supposed to take 4-5 weeksm

tygger

Enlightened
Well, all I can say is that I am VERY dissapointed with my Titan A as of now. It already had some mode switching issues, but just today I dropped it from about 2 and a half feet (no joke!) onto concrete. Everything looked fine, but upon closer examination, the modes are all screwed up again...in fact it no longer has high mode! The only thing that it will turn on to is low now. I tried changing the battery, turning it more tightly, etc. Nothing has worked thus far. Any advice? Very dissapointing as my other Surefires have been excellent...

I did not drop my Titan but had a similar problem. After cleaning the contacts with Deoxit and re-lubed with Nyogel it started working normally. I think the light came with too much silicone grease.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After months of convincing myself I didn't need another battery type in my collection, I finally broke down and got one.

Good thing is, on a B&M store I can pick among the stock for one with centered LED and properly instaled lens gasket.

There were 8 units and a few were off by a hair, others centered well.
All gaskets properly seated.

Hmmm, maybe better QC at SF?

bigfoot

Enlightened
Well, I figured this day was coming eventually -- the Energizer lithium cell in my Titan got stuck and wouldn't come out. Sent SF customer service an e-mail, hopefully they can get a new tail section out to me. Looks like mine was an early production model with the metal collar in the battery compartment.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Necropost, but my old Titan got stolen at work a month ago and I just picked up a new one.

Serial 6266 this time(bye 6095), this one a lot greener in tint than my old one which had a nice white slightly cool tint.

I like it though, as I'm not one of the majority here bothered by greenish tint.

choombak

Enlightened
I realize this is an old thread, but a discussion today with a good friend about Titan-A brought me here... and obviously, I do have some questions that haven't been answered:
  1. My Titan-A displays 3 levels, medium, low and high. Now, I cannot find any literature that states it had 3 levels... so does this Titan exhibit a flaw?
  2. My friend's Titan-A should have two levels, but displays only one. Level switching does not work, yet, he clearly remembers it did work a few years ago (he has not used the light for a few years now). Is this expected or just the unreliability of the Titan-A that I read about in this thread and elsewhere?
We both had our Titans replaced from SureFire, because they had the battery "stuck" in the body. SureFire never told us what was wrong, but had them replaced with new units under warranty.

If someone still reads this thread, I'd appreciate a response or further pointers. Thanks.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize this is an old thread, but a discussion today with a good friend about Titan-A brought me here... and obviously, I do have some questions that haven't been answered:
  1. My Titan-A displays 3 levels, medium, low and high. Now, I cannot find any literature that states it had 3 levels... so does this Titan exhibit a flaw?
  2. My friend's Titan-A should have two levels, but displays only one. Level switching does not work, yet, he clearly remembers it did work a few years ago (he has not used the light for a few years now). Is this expected or just the unreliability of the Titan-A that I read about in this thread and elsewhere?
We both had our Titans replaced from SureFire, because they had the battery "stuck" in the body. SureFire never told us what was wrong, but had them replaced with new units under warranty.

If someone still reads this thread, I'd appreciate a response or further pointers. Thanks.
I don't know anything specific regarding the Titan A lights, other than the fact that the old info I see for them reflects a light with 2 output levels, and it is indeed very strange that neither of the 2 lights you reference are currently operating with 2 output levels. I'm sure others who use these lights can confirm this.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but I am curious about one thing in particular. Has either of the 2 lights referenced ever been operated using anything other than a 1.2V (NiMH) or 1.5V (alkaline) cell? In other words, has either ever been operated (even briefly) using a 10440 Li-ion (~3.7V) cell? The reason I ask is that lights which have been subjected to significant over-voltage condition often incur damage which is then reflected by incorrect output levels; typically being the loss of a previously-working output level, but other symptoms / failure modes might also be possible. Just curious.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also never read or heard about titan-a having 3 modes. This is new to me. OTOH, the fact of Titan-a (two modes) stops working switching the modes is not news; mine also has this problem and only high mode works. Good thing it preserved high mode 🙏. And answering AZNSX, mine never did run on 10440.

choombak

Enlightened
I don't know anything specific regarding the Titan A lights, other than the fact that the old info I see for them reflects a light with 2 output levels, and it is indeed very strange that neither of the 2 lights you reference are currently operating with 2 output levels. I'm sure others who use these lights can confirm this.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but I am curious about one thing in particular. Has either of the 2 lights referenced ever been operated using anything other than a 1.2V (NiMH) or 1.5V (alkaline) cell? In other words, has either ever been operated (even briefly) using a 10440 Li-ion (~3.7V) cell? The reason I ask is that lights which have been subjected to significant over-voltage condition often incur damage which is then reflected by incorrect output levels; typically being the loss of a previously-working output level, but other symptoms / failure modes might also be possible. Just curious.

I have to apologize for this three level red herring, it does not do three, but as described, two levels. The other like, OTOH, is temperamental and will do one, two, or even one-two modes (basically switch modes rapidly when turned on and settle on the last mode). That said, the temperamental light has been sent to SureFire for warranty work, the other two mode light, I keep using. :)

Also, no, none of the lights have been subject to over-voltage condition, and have either used the SF provided rechargeable battery or Kirkland/Duracell 1.5v ones.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread got my hopes up. I wanted a black one. I bought a silver coloured one last year when I needed a nontactical looking Surefire. It is high build quality but the twists it takes to get to full power means I pick another light to use instead.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This thread got my hopes up. I wanted a black one. I bought a silver coloured one last year when I needed a nontactical looking Surefire. It is high build quality but the twists it takes to get to full power means I pick another light to use instead.
Yup, sadly now discontinued.
As far as the 3-mode version, I can live with the lack of Black. But refuse to buy one for the very same reason you pointed out.