*NEW* Surefire Titan-A (1*AAA, 15/125 lumen)

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Well, I made it sound like I pulled it out intentionally, but it came out wrapped around the Energizer Lithium Ultimate that got stuck which I had to pull out with pliers... in fact, the metal shim is still stuck to the battery right now... I sure hope its not required for a reliable electrical connection, because it's not there anymore...

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys and Gals, I think I figured it out... there is a spacer shim/ring that's about two millimeters down into the battery tube, presumably to keep the rattling down. if you remove the ring all batteries will fit. I'll do another video or post pics of what I'm talking about if you guys need help or don't see what I mean. Now that the shim is no longer installed I can fit anything in there no problem.

Well, I made it sound like I pulled it out intentionally, but it came out wrapped around the Energizer Lithium Ultimate that got stuck which I had to pull out with pliers... in fact, the metal shim is still stuck to the battery right now... I sure hope its not required for a reliable electrical connection, because it's not there anymore...

Nice job with the video. Just to clarify, the Energizer AAA Lithium cells are not Lithium Ion cells. They are Lithium based, but not Lithium Ion. Just wanted to mention this based on voltage requirements. Sorry you ruined a new cell, but I think you may have found out the reason for the tight fitting cells.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha! I thought I was going to do the same thing as I was trying to get a battery out. I'm only guessing about the electrical connection idea as a similar design was used on past lights. I also think someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread.

I suspect it would work without it just fine but the smooth finish on the insert would probably help reduce wear on the head contacts (again, just a guess).

scout24

Flashaholic
Should have mine tomorrow. Not terribly worried about the battery issue. What fits and works, fits and works. Tight is better than rattle... :) I've dowel and sandpapered/dremeled more than a few E2e tubes to make 17670's fit, a little work here if needed won't be a dealbreaker. I'll know soon

Stainz

Enlightened
Not terribly worried about the battery issue. What fits and works, fits and work.
Well, maybe that's a good way to be... unless you get one that is as persnickety re cells as mine is.
After noting a bit of withdrawal of my sleeve, I thought I'd help it out by filling the bottom with water and quickly shoving a tight fitting battery in, hoping the hydraulics would push the sleeve out. I did this several times before giving up and cleaning the lavatory up, lest the CFO find more evidence of my folly. I then had an epiphany - the sleeve is there to support the extremely thin Al thread valleys. It's a necessary evil. The thought re adapting it to fit batteries that I might find anywhere is ludicrous - I keep the Energizer(USA) Industrial alkalines in stock - and 750mA-hr Rayovac (PRC) AAA NiMHs fit fine - and I have a stock of them. My wife's E05 is nice - and smaller - but this is a Surefire - and I suppose I'll keep them.

Stainz

scout24

Flashaholic
Surefire has a long and wonderful history of designing their lights to run on what they want them to run on. Even in my limited time here during the incan heyday, members lamented the cost of primaries and wanted to run those new-fangled RCR's of various types. If it rattled due to looser tolerances, we'd complain like we do in other threads. Not all cells are created equal, witness the 18650 threads where new high capacity cells won't fit in certain lights. I don't begrudge anyone their feelings on this matter, just hope for some perspective. As always, we can vote with our wallets. There are plenty of lights from SF that I won't buy based on green tint, pocketclips I can't stand, UI that I don't like, etc... :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Has anyone Emailed Surefire to see what they have to say about this issue?
That would be the most sensible strategy IMO; If I had an issue with a Surefire light I would call SF regarding their lifetime unlimited warranty - the manufacturer is in a better position to resolve outstanding issues. :shrug:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow this flashlight is _SEXY_. Mine just came in this morning, and it's a very neat little light. The battery came about 3/4 charged (according to my charger). I'm new to the 'guilt-free lumens' experience provided by NiMH batteries, so I didn't know if I should discharge the battery completely or top 'er off. I decided to plug the battery into my Intellicharger i2 and top it off.

This light is a flood light, and I very much appreciate that in my keychain light. The low setting provides a very nice even blanket of light that is useful even in the daytime, and the 100 lumen max will fill a room.

I couldn't believe how small this light was until it arrived. It has a very solid feel.

Tom

scout24

Flashaholic
20150427_163002.jpg

Mine came today. Supplied Surealoop (as someone else called it. :) ) fits fine, as does an Eneloop. Duracell alkaline works too. Energizer 1.7v Lithium Primary would go in if I never wanted it to come out again. No-name Chinese primary cell was a no-go as well. Trust me, I hoped the Energizer lithiums would drop right in, I've got half a gross of them put aside in case of zombies. That said, I've got a few other long running AAA lights at my disposal to use them in if needed. Easy enough to carry a spare NiMh instead of a Lithium primary, and easy to top a cell off if I'm going out at night. I did win the tint lottery, nice and white on both levels. One hand smooth twist, great smooth beam. It's a keeper. :thumbsup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came today. Supplied Surealoop (as someone else called it. :) ) fits fine, as does an Eneloop. Duracell alkaline works too. Energizer 1.7v Lithium Primary would go in if I never wanted it to come out again. No-name Chinese primary cell was a no-go as well. Trust me, I hoped the Energizer lithiums would drop right in, I've got half a gross of them put aside in case of zombies. That said, I've got a few other long running AAA lights at my disposal to use them in if needed. Easy enough to carry a spare NiMh instead of a Lithium primary, and easy to top a cell off if I'm going out at night. I did win the tint lottery, nice and white on both levels. One hand smooth twist, great smooth beam. It's a keeper. :thumbsup:

Awesome, Greg - congrats! That 1.7v Lithium primary - that the L92 primary? I have a small supply of those and so far the ones I have tried fit - snug, but they fit. Sounds as though you and I both had good fortune, but mine wasn't quite as good - it's still 2 hands to operate mine. I used metal polish on the threads and tried Nano Oil and Krytox. I have high hopes, though as it seems as though each day it gets a bit easier to turn. I can rotate it "off" with one hand now....maybe soon. OR, maybe the one I have on order will do better. I'd give up having L92s fit in trade for one-handed operation.

nbp

Flashaholic
Dang, you guys are killing me, now really want one. Don't *need* one, but I want one. I should know better than to read Dan and Greg's posts anymore. :nana:

Who's got the best prices right now? I'm spending up my NRA blue cerakote HDS Clicky 325 money dollar by dollar since that GB is moving slowly. :ohgeez:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

So now there are parts getting unintentionally pulled out of the light?

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's your father's Oldsmobile, AAA-size

I think this light is a dud. Here's why:

Overpowered. An AAA light is a near-field task light. It's not an expedition light, it's for taking out the trash, finding something under your car seat, and so on. 125 lumens is overkill for that kind of use. This light is designed to win a pissing contest. As for the lower level, you can get a 15-lumen light anywhere; six E01s for the price of one Surefire.

Won't take an Energizer Lithium primary cell. Dealbreaker! I like to give AAA lights as gifts, and I put the Energizers in them. This light won't accommodate the best primary cell available? That's a fatal flaw, not a design choice.

Cool white tint. This is where Surefire could have been bold! Introduce a neutral/warm light to its fans. But no, back to the pissing contest, where the best lumens are the most lumens.

It's black! Like a Model T Ford. The least imaginative color. It's a key-ring light, how about a little eye candy? Bright blue, bright red, emerald green! Stainless steel! Anything but another black flashlight, please.

Durability? Reliability? Remains to be seen. Will it be more reliable than an E01?

I am not put off by the price. I'll put up $69 for the first Zebralight AAA flashlight in a neutral tint. But the Titan offers nothing I need. I have to imagine there's a large base of Surefire who'll buy anything the company puts out; obviously, this thing is very popular, but if its name wasn't Surefire, it would be judged a dud.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Re: Yes, it's your father's Oldsmobile, AAA-size

I think this light is a dud. Here's why:

Overpowered. An AAA light is a near-field task light. It's not an expedition light, it's for taking out the trash, finding something under your car seat, and so on. 125 lumens is overkill for that kind of use. This light is designed to win a pissing contest. As for the lower level, you can get a 15-lumen light anywhere; six E01s for the price of one Surefire.

Won't take an Energizer Lithium primary cell. Dealbreaker! I like to give AAA lights as gifts, and I put the Energizers in them. This light won't accommodate the best primary cell available? That's a fatal flaw, not a design choice.

Cool white tint. This is where Surefire could have been bold! Introduce a neutral/warm light to its fans. But no, back to the pissing contest, where the best lumens are the most lumens.

It's black! Like a Model T Ford. The least imaginative color. It's a key-ring light, how about a little eye candy? Bright blue, bright red, emerald green! Stainless steel! Anything but another black flashlight, please.

Durability? Reliability? Remains to be seen. Will it be more reliable than an E01?

I am not put off by the price. I'll put up $69 for the first Zebralight AAA flashlight in a neutral tint. But the Titan offers nothing I need. I have to imagine there's a large base of Surefire who'll buy anything the company puts out; obviously, this thing is very popular, but if its name wasn't Surefire, it would be judged a dud.

Hmm...this could be interesting...lol

GoVegan

Enlightened
I was so looking forward to getting the Titan-A. I was checking for news about it almost everyday since the announcement at Shot Show. I thought the size, lumen levels and cost were perfect and was very happy about it coming with a NiMH battery. In fact I was going to order a couple and thinking about a P1R Peacekeeper to go with them too. However I'm glad I waited as so far this light looks to be a big fail.
This looks like it was just down to really bad QA testing, and something as basic as a standard lithium battery not fitting in it should have been caught before it even went into production. Surefire's own information states that it's compatible with lithium AAA batteries so I believe that they will rectify this issue and probably end up replacing all the current ones sold (if the users contact them).

Now what I find more shocking than Surefire actually releasing this light without proper testing is the fact that some buyers are actually fine with this issue. I mean come on guys, this is a $60 keychain flashlight AND it's a Surefire, not some cheap Chinese brand.

I suggest that those who are actually crazy enough to sandpaper it down, first contact Surefire to complain and ask what they are going to do about it. If enough people complain then they'll have to take action. I actually believe that they'll make this right anyway even without a whole bunch of complaints but I think everyone should at least send them a quick mail.

Last edited: