New THRUNITE TN36 UT CW 7300 LUMENS

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
any pics of it in action?

Here are two comparison shots of the older 6500 lumen models...NW vs CW, courtesy of a brother of ours across the pond...

escibf4w.gif

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/beamshotvergleich-tn36-nw-vs-cw.39152/

Richbuff has the VN upgraded model...so just imagine twice the brightness...and maybe the buildings on fire.

Last edited:

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine now for 4 days, I am totally satisfied with this purchase, my only concern waiting was it would not be wide enough?? I can say I think it is better than I had hoped for, from moonlight mode to high, the Turbo is simply for chest pounding,,, for what I bought this flooder for it nice that it is there but I really think Medium is it's sweet spot for usefulness, and it does not even get warm at 850 lumens. For walking I really see no use for anything but low or med, just me, and the batteries are still holding strong after all my playing these last 4 evenings, and that's a lot. I am glad I went with the TN-36 UT over the TN-30 (2016), the TN-36 UT lumen settings are where I want them and I like them better than the TN-30, this is just a personal preference.

If you want a true flooder and are not looking to fill flood and throw with one light,,, don't hesitate, you'll love the new UT model, I do.

Abracastabya

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the CW from Amazon but it does not confirm anywhere on the box that it is indeed CW. The light seems more on the yellow side. Is there anyway to check that it is CW and not NW? Maybe a serial number to check or something of the like?

I have examined the box thoroughly, not even the barcode sticker states if it is CW or NW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I know of. Did you check back with the seller?

The cool white XHP70 is not very cool; instead, it appears to be in between cool and neutral. A side by side comparison with other cool white XPP70 should be telling.

Abracastabya

Newly Enlightened
Not that I know of. Did you check back with the seller?

The cool white XHP70 is not very cool; instead, it appears to be in between cool and neutral. A side by side comparison with other cool white XPP70 should be telling.

Thanks for the response! I emailed ThruNite but have not heard back yet.

ven

Flashaholic
I would say CW, but it is not a bad cool white if makes sense. By that i mean colours are not completely washed out and no blue tint.

ven

Flashaholic
Mine is a tn36vn, on lower modes it looks around 5000k( i thought it was a NW), only in turbo does it look around 6000k and as with yours no angry blues. It is a decent cool tint, colours are accurate to my eyes...............excellent light(mine is MKR's not xhp70's)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your video camera is probably set to auto white-balance. That will make it hard to tell.

Three ideas:

1. Set your camera to manual, fluorescent/indoor white balance, and then re-shoot. If your flashlight is 6000K or higher, this setting should reveal that. You can look up the Kelvin for your camera's fluorescent setting, but I believe most are around 4500-5000K.

2. In the same frame, add some flashlights with known tint. Do you have any cool-white flashlights that are close to what the ThruNite is supposed to be? If so, try one of them. Do the same with neutral. Find a neutral-white flashlight with tint near to what the ThruNite is supposed to be. Put them side by side in the same frame as the ThruNite, but do not allow the beams to overlap too much. If you can only do two at at time, that is fine.

3. The brown wood fence and red bricks are both good test subjects. You may want to deliberately underexpose the shot. Otherwise the hot spots may be so bright that they wash out.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately this is just one of the many lights which is over powered for it's size. It becomes too hot after a short while and the brightness drops dramatically as well. In practice Mini TN30 is almost as bright(and has better runtime) but much lower price.

Last edited:

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately this is just one of the many lights which is over powered for it's size. It becomes too hot after a short while and the brightness drops dramatically as well. In practice Mini TN30 is almost as bright(and has better runtime) but much lower price.

Only better run times with lower lumens??? 470 medium on the TN 30 is 15 hours runtime, and for a night camp and fishing area light a bit low for my liking. The TN 36 on the other hand give a med setting of 850,, good setting for an area flood light in these situations, and will run for 10 hours which is plenty for my needs, but the real reason I like the TN36-UT more is for the useful low setting of 130 lumens for 54 hours the TN30 with a low setting of 46 lumens @ 123 hours to me is a useless setting, even with great runtime, just not useable light fer me, for my purpose even as a candle light inside as a tail stander the 130 is more useable than 46,, just me. The TN30 I do believe has the better Moonlight setting,, and 3 months worth on one set of batteries!

I am so happy with everything I have used from Thrunite,, what the heck,,,, I bought em both!! NW of course,,,,;)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only better run times with lower lumens??? 470 medium on the TN 30 is 15 hours runtime, and for a night camp and fishing area light a bit low for my liking. The TN 36 on the other hand give a med setting of 850,, good setting for an area flood light in these situations, and will run for 10 hours which is plenty for my needs, but the real reason I like the TN36-UT more is for the useful low setting of 130 lumens for 54 hours the TN30 with a low setting of 46 lumens @ 123 hours to me is a useless setting, even with great runtime, just not useable light fer me, for my purpose even as a candle light inside as a tail stander the 130 is more useable than 46,, just me. The TN30 I do believe has the better Moonlight setting,, and 3 months worth on one set of batteries!

I am so happy with everything I have used from Thrunite,, what the heck,,,, I bought em both!! NW of course,,,,;)

My disappointment is that Thrunite like most other brands today compete in the lumen race stating as high lumen value as possible as a selling argument. What is not obvious at a first glance is that the increased brightness is on a big sacrifice of runtime. Example: while a certain light may provide stable output for an hour the successor provides twice the brightness but only for a few minutes and then the brightness drops down to 60% for an hour. This is typical today, and in this case TN36UT isn't so much more powerful compared to TN30 as the lumen value indicates.
This is not fair marketing and many people becomes deceived if they don't read a review with runtime graph before purchase.

Having that said: I really like Thrunite and my TN32 Neutral and TN35 are awesome flashlights! I would like a 7000+lm light but not in an undersized design as TN36UT is. Small powerhouses are cool but I would prefer a TN36UT with larger mass body and head for better heat dissipation and why not 26650s instead of 18650 to really manage to give the required power. Then 7300lm could be used continuously instead of a short "burst".

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
My disappointment is that Thrunite like most other brands today compete in the lumen race stating as high lumen value as possible as a selling argument. What is not obvious at a first glance is that the increased brightness is on a big sacrifice of runtime. Example: while a certain light may provide stable output for an hour the successor provides twice the brightness but only for a few minutes and then the brightness drops down to 60% for an hour. This is typical today, and in this case TN36UT isn't so much more powerful compared to TN30 as the lumen value indicates.
This is not fair marketing and many people becomes deceived if they don't read a review with runtime graph before purchase.

Having that said: I really like Thrunite and my TN32 Neutral and TN35 are awesome flashlights! I would like a 7000+lm light but not in an undersized design as TN36UT is. Small powerhouses are cool but I would prefer a TN36UT with larger mass body and head for better heat dissipation and why not 26650s instead of 18650 to really manage to give the required power. Then 7300lm could be used continuously instead of a short "burst".

This is what sell's. Most buyers could care less about usefulness today,, they only care to say I have the brightest,, and most have no use for it. I see the same thing in archery equipment, the best bows that are the most accurate and reliable are of moderate speed, but many companies only advertise there bows using the lightest possible arrows in them to make the speed as higfh as possible,,, speed sell's. While doing this they are suggesting the hardest thing you can do on your equipment,, but sales are everything,,,,,:thumbsdow

But in the case of the Thrunite TN36, this is perfect for me, and I live the fact it will be there if I need it, but still come in a very compact size! I seldom need or want Turbo,,, when I do I have it anytime I want, and never use it for more than a few minutes if that,, it is only really needed in very limited cases. Those that don't look at specs are the only ones that buy a light for the chest thumping mine is brighter thing,,, Like I say, I never buy a light for its brightest setting to be used the most with. Like you I love the TN32 but didn't buy it to see 1/2 mile away most of the time, but wanted to be able to when I need it. 90% of the time it used on a med setting with less use on med high setting, but very seldom on high or turbo, and when it is, it is for very short periods.

But it does not matter what you are selling today, lights, rifles, bows, cars, it aint being advertised as what you can use or need, but what every is the biggest, baddest, fastest,,, most powerful is what sell's,, no matter how wasteful it is!!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned a Thrunite, but will probably end up trying the new TN42 in cool white.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what sell's. Most buyers could care less about usefulness today,, they only care to say I have the brightest,, and most have no use for it. I see the same thing in archery equipment, the best bows that are the most accurate and reliable are of moderate speed, but many companies only advertise there bows using the lightest possible arrows in them to make the speed as higfh as possible,,, speed sell's. While doing this they are suggesting the hardest thing you can do on your equipment,, but sales are everything,,,,,:thumbsdow

But in the case of the Thrunite TN36, this is perfect for me, and I live the fact it will be there if I need it, but still come in a very compact size! I seldom need or want Turbo,,, when I do I have it anytime I want, and never use it for more than a few minutes if that,, it is only really needed in very limited cases. Those that don't look at specs are the only ones that buy a light for the chest thumping mine is brighter thing,,, Like I say, I never buy a light for its brightest setting to be used the most with. Like you I love the TN32 but didn't buy it to see 1/2 mile away most of the time, but wanted to be able to when I need it. 90% of the time it used on a med setting with less use on med high setting, but very seldom on high or turbo, and when it is, it is for very short periods.

But it does not matter what you are selling today, lights, rifles, bows, cars, it aint being advertised as what you can use or need, but what every is the biggest, baddest, fastest,,, most powerful is what sell's,, no matter how wasteful it is!!

Valuable points you share! TN30 mini is attractive especially because of the price tag. At this moment I have several set ups of 3x18650 cells but no 4x18650. These coke can sized lights may not be the most comfortable to hold in the hand(and not very portable in jacket pocket) but they provide high performance. I very much like flashlights who can also be used tailstanding as a room lighting, and 435lm for 15hr is awesome! And 850lm of TN36UT for almost 10hr is even more lumen-hours. At these levels I understand these lights can be left on without being over heated.

Last edited: