New Title: Super Awesome Maglite Gatling Gun

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
Re: Interesting Lighting Techniques??

They say Mag's are....waterproof.....right? ......I think that means that set-up should work fine :p

tolkaze

Enlightened

Yeah, see even if you included a couple of those in the package... they at least look the part. The head is even slightly similar to the LL P7 head

edit: only Waterproof to 50-60m of water, I will be sending these down a lot further than that

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The subject of this thread is particularly non-descriptive.

tolkaze

Enlightened

Yeah, i was trying to make it look like work at the time... Will change it to super awesome maglight gatling gun or something

kramer5150

Flashaholic
LOL... ~5-10 meters tops. Less than that if you twist the bezel (s) on-off.
8x Strobe the fish... LOL

Last edited:

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
You know, even before I got my first good light and when I still thought maglites were hot stuff I still would have thought this was cheap, flimsy, and ill-advised. It looks like something a child would build with tinkertoys. I would be embarrassed to sell a setup worth $27,000 with such a light.

But it is fun to :hahaha:

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Here is the website with information on the block of lights

http://www.geovision.org/SuperEight/super8.htm
and
http://www.geovision.org/SuperEight/SuperEight.htm

Says that they are substantially modified, and that regular lights can be used but will fail well before 300ft.

I wonder what mods they have done to them. If i get a change later today, will pull one of the lights apart and see what is what. I haven't seen a Rebel mini mag, so will need help identifying what is different if I post images

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 609.6 m underwater is definitely the claim:

The eight Mini Maglites used in the GeoVISION Super Eight Lights have been substantially modified to work effectively in boreholes and at underwater depths up to 2000 feet. The Mini Maglites commonly available at hardware stores may be used; however, they will likely fail at water depths greater than 300 feet.

That must be an unholy amount of pressure and therefore force on the front glass of each Maglite. Let's see, http://digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/pressure.htm and plug in 609.6 metres of water; gives 59 atmospheres! Area of the front of a mini Mag is, um, I don't know, I don't have any. Something slightly similar is 22 mm across. 380 mm^2 at 5.98 N/mm^2 is 2272 N, or 232 kilograms force, or 511 pounds force. That's the same as roughly three people standing on a single 22 mm diameter stiletto.

Yeah?

gtwace

Enlightened
I thought we can know whether this is a hoax just by looking at the thickness of the light's lens, can we ?

tolkaze

Enlightened
Funny you should say that, the front bezel has a gap of a couple mm, and the lens is glass, or lexan or something... its all loctite'd together. The head comes off easily though, can't tell if they are silicon o-rings in there, but it still twists like a stocky

Around the LED is all white too, but I think that might be stock, and not a filler...

If I can, I will get photos this morning

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless the front lens is 30-40 mm thick or made of diamond it's BS (for 2,000 feet that is).

Actually, it might be oil filled. It's not a stock Maglite at that depth.

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Nup, oil filled wouldn't work with a twisty... even though it would be small, you would have to displace some oil to twist on

Also, there would be air in the battery compartment to worry about too... I should be able to get a look soon