New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still shopping around. Is there any benefit of going with a CR123 batteries over a standard AA or AAA? Performance or..?

Power density. A single CR123A cell is roughly equivalent to 2 AA cells (capacity and voltage). So basically it lets you have the performance of a 2xAA light shrunk down to smaller than a 1xAA light.

This was a big deal years ago but now a 1xAA light can be pretty competitive unless you really need 300+ lumens out of a single cell light. In that case, a CR123A or Li-ion secondary cell becomes necessary.

For my purposes (which I forgot to mention would be taking it on night jogs) what lumens should I be looking for? Would like to be able to implement the light and the actual flashlight body as a self defense tool.

The amount of output you require for jogging at night depends on the amount of light already present where you are running. If your flashlight is the only source of light, then the correct level of output lets you see far enough ahead to make proper decisions and has enough spill to safely choose your footing. If there are other sources of lights (street lights, cars driving by with headlights, etc), then your eyes will be adapted to that and your flashlight will need to have a bright enough spill so that you can still place your foot safely even if the other lights cause your footing to be in shadow.

There are two common mistakes when jogging with a flashlight:
1. using the hot spot of the beam to see your footing. This utterly ruins your night vision and makes it difficult to see any distance even with the flashlight.
2. using too high an output. If your light is enough brighter than the ambient light that your eyes adapt to it, then it's too bright. You're sacrificing battery life and peripheral vision for no benefit.

Get yourself an inexpensive multi-mode light and take it running. You'll quickly figure out how low is too low.

--flatline

bandanabandit1

Newly Enlightened
Considering the Fenix PD35 V2.0 as recommended here..are there any comparable lights I should look into to compare it against?

Redhos83

Newly Enlightened
You can't go wrong with Surefire. I would strongly recommend a Malkoff MD2 hot. Very simple only high and low not overly complicated with having to program or anything. It is one of the toughest lights around and respected builder by anyone who knows flashlights. It also has really good throw with decent flood. Perfect beginner light. Just wait till you get into the customs. Hanko, sinner, Okluma.

bandanabandit1

Newly Enlightened
Also considering the Surefire EDCL2-T, my question is is it possible to run 18650's in it instead of the cr123's? I know this is probably a noob question. The possible lack of ability to charge the batteries seems like a big disadvantage to me?

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also considering the Surefire EDCL2-T, my question is is it possible to run 18650's in it instead of the cr123's? I know this is probably a noob question. The possible lack of ability to charge the batteries seems like a big disadvantage to me?

The EDCL2-T is not designed to run on an 18650. It requires 2 x CR123, both for the narrower diameter and increased voltage.

bandanabandit1

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: I went with the Fenix PD35 V2.0. After reading reviews (all great), doing the research (it has desirable lumens, features, etc.), and the awesome warranty I thought it made the value of the light higher than the competition I was comparing it to. I am sure I will be happy with this as a first light, and I would like to thank everyone here for their recommendations! I couldn't have made the decision without you guys :twothumbs

PS; use the promo NEWMEMBER20 to get 20% off your purchase.

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
UPDATE: I went with the Fenix PD35 V2.0. After reading reviews (all great), doing the research (it has desirable lumens, features, etc.), and the awesome warranty I thought it made the value of the light higher than the competition I was comparing it to. I am sure I will be happy with this as a first light, and I would like to thank everyone here for their recommendations! I couldn't have made the decision without you guys :twothumbs

You're welcome, bandanabandit1, and I know you will be happy with your choice. I also bought one of those, and so far it's been a fantastic little light! I also just saw the mistakes I made in my previous message. (Sorry about that. :oops:)