New Wildcat vs the V6 Wildcat differences?

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
About the same cost as the Mona LisašŸ˜. Beam wise V6 and V7 are very very close but the tint coupled with them 1600 lumens is fantastic. I don't have the Nutural V7 so can't comment but I'm sure it's real close as well. The smaller head on the 6 to me is a plus. But she gets hot. Very very hot.
I think it was less than 1600 I looked at my for sale I think it was like 1200 lumens šŸ˜† seriously

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure it was 1600. Maybe you had a special Limited addition modelšŸ˜

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
I had this version, maybe you are right but I'm skeptical. Anyway here is more V6 4000K goodness..

Attachments

• cYmZ2Kl.jpg
    cYmZ2Kl.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 186
  • n3uXYLt.jpg
    n3uXYLt.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 165

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the E1HT that is so impressive it makes people think it's an E2HT.
I had to come back strong after being called out for shooting beam shots in auto.
The specs on the E1HT look pretty sweet and 5500K seems to be not too cool of a tint.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
So you all are preferring the Wildcat with diffuser removed over the Hound Dog? Are there reflector differences among the two, or does the Wildcat just have a different diffuser? Does the Wildcat with no diffuser throw similarly to the Hound Dog?

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
So you all are preferring the Wildcat with diffuser removed over the Hound Dog? Are there reflector differences among the two, or does the Wildcat just have a different diffuser? Does the Wildcat with no diffuser throw similarly to the Hound Dog?
There is definitely a difference in the TIR optics. Without any diffusers, the wildcat still spreads light out wider than the hound dog. The hound dog has a tighter beam that is throwing light a decent amount further. However, the wildcat with the diffusers removed spreads its lumens out much wider and still throws a good distance. While my xpl hound dog on an md4 has it's place, it is getting hard to use anything other than an 18650 wildcat on the 21700 body. If you need to throw light a good distance, there is no question that it's outperformed by the hound dog, but the balance between throw/a wide wall of light is hard to beat with the wildcat.

With all that being said, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Im becoming more and more biased towards wider hot spots.

Last edited:

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
There is definitely a difference in the TIR optics. Without any diffusers, the wildcat still spreads light out wider than the hound dog. The hound dog has a tighter beam that is throwing light a decent amount further. However, the wildcat with the diffusers removed spreads its lumens out much wider and still throws a good distance. While my xpl hound dog on an md4 has it's place, it is getting hard to use anything other than an 18650 wildcat on the 21700 body. If you need to throw light a good distance, there is no question that it's outperformed by the hound dog, but the balance between throw/a wide wall of light is hard to beat with the wildcat.

With all that being said, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Im becoming more and more biased towards wider hot spots.
I'm glad I go back and read these older posts. This looks like something I may have to investigate on my Wildcat.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I took my diffuser film off my V7 wildcat and never looked back. It throws a ton but with a huge hotspot.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run M61 and M61T, M91T and also Hound Dog as my core tools. They somewhat overlap. There is no place for the Wildcat in that ecosystem, it has high lumens but very poor throw and lux as seen in the pic above. It feels like holding a household bulb in one's hand.
I like high lux like 19K that the M91T has. The Hound Dog Super has something like 90K lux for a very strong punch in the next county.
Generally higher lux makes a light feel brighter than it really is.

I can't think any circumstance where the Wildcat would outperform anything above. Unless it's something indoors and one needs massive lumens but not throw.

The Hound Dog is the most impressive light I've ever seen. It's usable enough, hot hotspot but also enough spill to make it usable as a daily driver. If MD4 size bothers the user, there is the 18650 Hound Dog.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Take the film off the V7 and it will out throw the 91T. But with a hotspot 3 times the size. If you haven't tried that yet get it a shot. Pretty awesome.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just used both out my back window And the V7 definitely out throws my 91T. Pictures really don't show much of a difference.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I really kind of settled on the m91bw as my all around favorite light to carry. That one is almost always in my pocket no matter what. With that being said, if push comes to shove and I'm faced with an emergency or in a panic, I have a feeling I would grab my hound dog xpl.

Now, that's where the wildcat 18650 without the diffusers on the 21700 body comes into play. To me, that is a happy medium between my favorite malkoffs. It's an excellent area light that still throws pretty far and the hotspot it throws is huge. I've never felt that there's anything I can't do with that light. I have plenty of malkoffs that serve a specific purpose, but the wildcat is an all around powerhouse to light up a large area in one shot and because of that, it's the one that's always in my truck or in a jacket pocket when I have one. I like the wildcat for the same reason I like the m91bw over the m91t. I like that wide hotspot when I don't need the hound dogs distance.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am visual, need to see better pics one versus another (HD). What's out there is kind of hard to tell.