New Zebralight 4 AA Q50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
The M40A XML is capable of 600 ANSI lumens. You have to remember though that this is a full 1.5 hours of 600 lumens as opposed to the 800 for 5 mintues and then a step down to 500 for the remainder of the 2 hours for the Zebralight Q50.

Then just to compare another 4 x AA light the PA40 will do 468 for 2.5 hours straight. I think they all have their advantages and it really just depends on what you personally need.

Danielsan

Enlightened
i like the sunwayman but the pictures of the beamshape are strange, maybe they changed it for the xm-l Version but the first Version had an octagon shaped beam because they used a strange front bezel. Another point is the mode ring, i love mode rings but only when the light has a tailclicky as well. With the sunwayman you cant start with highest mode, you have to turn the ring fully to the right?

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
The Q50 looks great to me.
I can pocket this thing no problem.

But I'd sure like to see the other end, and inside the battery compartment also.

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
This looks very cool. My next torch will probably be an SC51w, however, after that, I may be looking at something brighter - it's looking like a close run between TK41 and this, will be interested to see some comparisons.

On the batteries issue, my only fairly bright torch is a 18650 torch (TK12), and while the 18650s are great and serve a purpose (pocket rocket), they are high maintenance. I prefer AA for general 'always ready' use (hence the SC51w plan), so I personally think that ZL made a great call with this one.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Q50 for Christmas and T5 for Birthday! (As long as it doesnt look like the SC80) Not a fan really. Cant wait to see more pics of this thing.

Danielsan

Enlightened
To my mind, this is no more intended as a flashlight than the H-series. They are headlamps, and this is a cubelamp - a little box of light you can bring anywhere.

I dont agree with you here, for me the H Series are flashlights too like the Q50 is a flashlight. When you can call a flashlight a flashlight, when its round like a tube? If its shaped like a cube then it isnt a flashlight? In german language we use a different word for flashlight, we say pocketlight even to lights in the size of Olight SR90. And by the way i dont like round flashlights, for me the shape of a TK35 or PA40 is more comfortable to hold.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Here in the US we can buy eneloops at Costco (which is everywhere) and other stores. Other brand LSD NiMh AA cells are most everywhere. There is no need at all to buy them online. Also, you can buy AA alkalines anywhere if you need them. This is a light I would give to a non-flashaholic since it uses AA cells. This will be a big hit simply because of the small size, massive output, and AA cells. The majority of people have never heard of an 18650 cell so the AA market is much bigger. There are a lot of people here who will not even use 18650 cells. It is very impressive what AA cells can do in this light. To get 800 lumens from a light this small AND running on AA cells is amazing. I can give this light to my wife and she does not have to worry about over-discharging an 18650 cell. Is it everybody's cup of tea? Maybe not. I don't think there is a light made that is everybody's cup of tea.

Yep, it´s going to be a big hit.
Big output yet simple batterychemistry/size to use for total newbie (alkalines). Step up a level and get Eneloops: get probably much more out of this light...
I know alkalines are a bit low-tech compared to 18650 but I don´t feel that with Eneloops. I believe they can last longer in constant everyday use than some of Li-ion batteries cycle / age-wise.

Most importantly I like the size-factor.
I´m the guy who usually passes big & powerful and takes the small from the shelf for easy carry.
With small size and easiness of use with Eneloops, this will be extremely hard to resist regardless the price AND I buy lights of this price class maybe once a year tops!

Ugly?
Well, flashlight = ROUND. Somebody does it square, ugly?
Ok, maybe it´s a good idea to get something other for the suit´s pocket ;)

Tuikku

Enlightened
This looks very cool. My next torch will probably be an SC51w, however, after that, I may be looking at something brighter - it's looking like a close run between TK41 and this, will be interested to see some comparisons.

On the batteries issue, my only fairly bright torch is a 18650 torch (TK12), and while the 18650s are great and serve a purpose (pocket rocket), they are high maintenance. I prefer AA for general 'always ready' use (hence the SC51w plan), so I personally think that ZL made a great call with this one.

I quite recently got the SC51w for same reason - easy use.
Should have gotten the cool tint though, neutral is waaaay too warm for my taste :(
I like light to be colorless.

uknewbie

Banned
Does anyone know what output or run times this thing will achieve on alkaline cells?

In fairness you can buy lsd cells in shops in the UK now too, but not Eneloops.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Does anyone know what output or run times this thing will achieve on alkaline cells?

In fairness you can buy lsd cells in shops in the UK now too, but not Eneloops.

In FI we have Eneloops at some stores, but they cost terrible piles of cash, so I´m ordering them from nkon.nl for under half of the price...
If you don´t want to use NiMh but want power with decent price, check OEM Energizers from eBay. I have tested them to have the same capacity as L91 Energizer Lithiums with only 1-3% variance.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy 'Duraloops' in my local sainsbury's 5 minutes down the road for just £5.99..

uknewbie

Banned
I think all he's asking is that everyone just take a step back for a moment, & buy the sc600 instead.

That's pretty pathetic. The whole point of this thread is to discuss this light, not just say it is amazing in every way even if you do not think so. I point out some things I don't like or feel could be improved, and you take some childish huff because I am not just joining in the army of "this runs on AA, amazing!" posts many others are making, and you like to hear.

Go buy ten of the things, I couldn't care less. I never asked anyone to or not to buy anything. I never even suggested it.

I like ZL, own several of them, plan to buy more of them and wanted to like this enough to buy it, but I'm afraid I don't.

Sometimes people will disagree with you, just deal with it. :rolleyes:

:sigh:

Last edited:

stp

Newly Enlightened

It works both ways you know...you main point was about preferring Lion-s over AA format. It's you who have problem with understanding that some people prefer to use NiMh AAs. It's really very simple: if you prefer 18500 then this light is not for you, and most of us understand it. We don't understand why you are wasting yours and our time...

Scubie67

Enlightened
I think if some people don't want AA based lights ....just don't buy AA based lights ,solves the problem.At this point and time I am not really interested in Li-Ion lights(BTW I have run 14500s in my L1D before ,I just got tired of not having a low all the time) but I dont go on other threads bashing a new light design when it comes out that I don't like just because it uses Li-Ion batteries.

I think this is a great light if it lives up to specs: Small enough to pocket carry.... has 800/500 lumens...ZL UI.... Uses AA batteries which probably 99% of the World uses for small flashlights these days Easy ...Facts Are Facts...

The overwhelming view on this light is all the proof you need .Especially considering the activity on this thread over the last 4 months without even Pics untill this morning.

I will definitely buy this light and probably the Neutral to when it comes out.

If people only like Li-Ion lights, buy them won't bother me one bit if you don't buy AAs... leaves more for the rest of us:D

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened
They are headlamps, and this is a cubelamp - a little box of light you can bring anywhere.

kaneklapqo6.gif

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened

While no doubt people disagree and are entitled to their opinions you just seem to be throwing off an anti aa flashlight vibe. I myself perfer the simplicity of aa nihm eneloops. As tempting as 18650 are i just dont care for them. So it would not make much sense for me to post in the sc600 zebralight thread putting that light down due to the fact its uses 18650. I think both these lights look great and appeal to different people. And either way, as a flashaholic i would think that the more options we have as far as lights go the better off we will be.

I cant wait to see what this little gem can do. Now i just have to decide between this light and sunwayman M40A.

uknewbie

Banned
It works both ways you know...you main point was about preferring Lion-s over AA format. It's you who have problem with understanding that some people prefer to use NiMh AAs. It's really very simple: if you prefer 18500 then this light is not for you, and most of us understand it. We don't understand why you are wasting yours and our time...

I own several AA lights. I just bought a 4 x AA light, Jetbeam PA40 and think it is very good. I don't have any trouble understanding this. I was highlighting some problems that go along with it, which actually added some diversity in the sea of "AA is good"

"We"? Who do you represent here exactly?

I give up.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the sunwayman but the pictures of the beamshape are strange, maybe they changed it for the xm-l Version but the first Version had an octagon shaped beam because they used a strange front bezel. Another point is the mode ring, i love mode rings but only when the light has a tailclicky as well. With the sunwayman you cant start with highest mode, you have to turn the ring fully to the right?

The M40A XML beam is amongst the nicest of any light I own or have owned. The transition from hot spot to spill is great. The crenelated bezel does get in the way of the very outer spill a little but the beam is not octagonal at all unless you hold it 2 feet from a white wall (and why would you do that - it is a light meant for outdoor use). Yes you have to turn the magnetic ring to the right to get high (not fully though because that is strobe) but the movement is very little and there are detents at every position. It is very simple to get to high with one hand. Is the UI as good as the Zebralight UI? No, but Zebralight has the best UI around (and FYI they don't have any light with a tail clicky so you may not like this one since you prefer lights with a tail clicky).

As I said, the M40A XML and Q50 are very different lights. The only thing they have in common is 4AA cells. Q50 = small and floody while the M40A XML = medium size and throw. The PA40 is also a floody 4AA light.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
The M40A XML beam is amongst the nicest of any light I own or have owned. The transition from hot spot to spill is great. The crenelated bezel does get in the way of the very outer spill a little but the beam is not octagonal at all unless you hold it 2 feet from a white wall (and why would you do that - it is a light meant for outdoor use). Yes you have to turn the magnetic ring to the right to get high (not fully though because that is strobe) but the movement is very little and there are detents at every position. It is very simple to get to high with one hand. Is the UI as good as the Zebralight UI? No, but Zebralight has the best UI around (and FYI they don't have any light with a tail clicky so you may not like this one since you prefer lights with a tail clicky).

As I said, the M40A XML and Q50 are very different lights. The only thing they have in common is 4AA cells. Q50 = small and floody while the M40A XML = medium size and throw. The PA40 is also a floody 4AA light.
I have the older (Sunwayled) M40A with the MC-E and it has a fantastic beam. It is a bit throwy and the bezel does affect the edges of the spill but in use it's not really noticeable and the brightness of the spill and transition to spot is fantastic. I have to say that so far the new Jetbeam PA40 is not as nice from what I'm seeing from it so far but I'm still feeling that light out. I am most excited over the neutral Q50 though, don't know if the Jetbeam will stay with me or not just yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.