• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 219 coming to Peak lights from Oveready

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
No broken lugs that I've heard of. The N is for neutral or Nichia.

Thanks, I figured that it meant Nichia, but then I saw that someone had a non-Nichia with that marking. Now that makes sense. I went with the stainless version because it should be the strongest and has a lower fatigue limit unlike aluminum, so I think the lug will be ok. So far I'm really happy with this light! The machining isn't perfect, but considering the other features it has, I don't think there's a better aaa light out there.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I went with the stainless version because it should be the strongest and has a lower fatigue limit unlike aluminum, so I think the lug will be ok.

It may be helpful to know that Peak did the machining on the Arc AAA's, with the same lug style.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Logan has relatively limited mass, since it is a small pocket light, so holding it while running helps to both provide a "heat sink" path away from the light and to monitor the temperature while running. If it gets too hot to hold comfortably, it may be best to turn it down or off.

I don't think it would be wise to run on max while unattended (such as tailstanding, for example).

I have seen posts reporting possible melting or deformation of the optic, if it gets too hot....

EDIT - found it -

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/327135

The optic was melting in my Hi-CRI SS head. Peak repaired my light using a different epoxy. I don't know if it's miracle epoxy, because the head works very nicely. Running it in 5~10 sec. bursts on a Li-ion 17500 used to overheat the head. Now I can do the same without overheating it. I'm sure if it's pushed hard enough it could melt the optic again, but I'm not going to do that.

I would buy another one from Oveready but I'm broke.

Last edited:

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
It may be helpful to know that Peak did the machining on the Arc AAA's, with the same lug style.

Interesting to know... was that always the case?

Also, the QTC on my light has become a little finicky. Sometimes it will go straight from off to full blast, but if you shake the light enough or take apart and reassemble the pill a few times it ramps up normally. Is this a common issue, and is there a way to fix it so it ramps every time? The light is two days old, so it couldn't be aging of the QTC.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I ask is that international postage for Oveready is more expensive pushing it to over $100 AU

Sorry but how much was the postage you calculated? If any one else has shipped to Australia? It seems to me that international is either $8 or $18?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the driver is still the same with nichia 219?
For instance, 1.2V current is 350mA over the LED, 1A at tailcap? 3V 750mA over the LED, 1A at tailcap etc? (The figures I used here are a guess based on previous threads)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Are those the ones up now on the site listed as "Flood" ? .... Any photos?

Yes, listed as Flood, here's a view with a shaved body:

peakflood.jpg

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
How are you at beamshot photos?

Not sure, never tried it. With the right background, maybe beam and color can be shown in the same photograph.

Is it a plastic lens or glass?

These heads are identical to optic heads, with the following changes:

optic is replaced with a short delrin cup (white)
subtract length not needed by the removed optic
beam angle is 120 degrees (Logans have taller walls/cups)​

Lens/windows are the same polycarbonate as the optic version (more info)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Beautiful!

How are you at beamshot photos? I'd love to see some comparison shots of the different Peak offerings.

Not sure, never tried it. With the right background, maybe beam and color can be shown in the same photograph.

These heads are identical to optic heads, with the following changes:

optic is replaced with a short delrin cup (white)
subtract length not needed by the removed optic
beam angle is 120 degrees (Logans have taller walls/cups)​

Lens/windows are the same polycarbonate as the optic version (more info)

Just got a Logan Mule 219 ... beam is pure flood (of course), and the low-profile bezel is great at maximizing the effective illumination angle ... tint is surprisingly white (maybe even a bit cool?) for such a HighCRI emitter ... Gen2 QTC has significantly improved smoother & more precise action ... :goodjob:

For the next update ... GITD emitter cup, perhaps ??? - :)

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my XP-G2 Peaks from Oveready, a Logan and an Eiger. The results are a bit surprising...

Let's start with the Eiger. The beam is cool, about the same as the XP-G (caracteristics & tint). You see that it's a tad brighter, so no surprise here yet. EDIT : A second test in the dark actually revealed that my XP-G2 is not as bright as my XP-G head! Weird, but I tested more than once...

Turning on the Logan reveals a bright beam with a more or less round hotspot. I only own a 219 Logan to compare, that one has no round hotspot at all, it's a sort of a small point with flares around, the XP-G2 is a nearly perfect round circle. Are those emitter so different or is my 219 perhaps not exactly centered in the optic, no way to see... As for the tint, the big surprise comes : While cooler than the 219 for sure, it's much warmer than the one from the Eiger, you'd say 2 completely different emitters, like the Logan was 5000K and the Eiger 6500K. I really love the beam and tint from my Logan XP-G2, for my gusto 5000K is about perfect, not cool and not warm - just nice.

Now I wonder if other owners (or Dan) can confirm what I see? If Oveready chose the emitters that way, it would make sense to me, the cooler one for the Eiger to maximize performance on an AAA (10440), the nicer one on the Logan as it's brighter per nature. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the differences in beam caracteristics from the Nichia to the XP-G2, but hey, they are Peaks... :poke:

Last edited:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the older Peaks had optics with weird star beam patterns. Newer ones I have seen do not. I think it is just an older vs newer optic, but somebody, like Dan, may correct me.

eala

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
My early (personal) Peaks were all flood, so I can't speak to those, but current narrow optics do not exhibit a star pattern. That being said, all focusing/narrow optic exhibit some level of beam artifact. Its just the price you pay for so much throw in such a small package (like SMO reflectors).

mau91

Newly Enlightened
Interested in getting a 219 Eiger 2AAA with momentary switch. However every time I check the site the switches are out of stock. Anyone know when momentary switches will be available again?

Costetl

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have examples of what the dif look is between the Nichia 219 and the XPG2? can people that have post pics of the beam against the wall for me please. I just got my Peak Eiger with the optic XPG2 in the mail today and dont like! when I shine against the white wall, the round circle is a yellowish/warm color and then around the beam, the rest of the light is a pure white vivide hid looking color. I was expecting the beam to be this bright vivid white looking color. did i choose the wrong LED??