• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today! One week ship time from down under to California, so fairly fast! Just dropped it in my Cerakoted Solarforce L2T lego:

IMG_20120611_232733.jpg

flashfiend

Enlightened
This is one reason why I got a lower current rating, because I have a FiveMega 1x18650 body that I'm using, and Matt didn't say it would fit that like a glove... I was counting on a less-than-perfect fit for my host. If I had wanted to spend the extra cash (not happening, too many bills right now) on a different host, I would have gotten a bored-out 6P and a Beefy bezel from FiveMega, which would be guaranteed to fit tightly (per Matt) and cool nicely. As it is, as long as the host is too BIG, it shouldn't be a problem... stick some foil in there and go for it.

FYI, drop-in is perfect for the FM 1x18650 6P-type body. Better than my bored 6P.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine today, what a beautiful piece. Unfortunately, I am getting some slight flickering. I ran it for a bit over 6 minutes, it began flickering at about 4.5 to 5 minutes.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today! One week ship time from down under to California, so fairly fast! Just dropped it in my Cerakoted Solarforce L2T lego:

The silver matches the crenelated bezel :)

And how come all these drop-ins are getting to the US so fast, yet even express orders take a longer that in reverse!?

In related news I am very keen hear fitment feedback and any other constructive opinions. As I have mentioned a few times now I am working on a new version and have learnt a lot during this build process. Now that these are out in the real world it would be good to get a list of what hosts the fit is good in, and what they are loose in (or even too big for). The drop-in fits perfectly in any surefire lights I have and is a little loose in my brothers L2T, so some of the fitting issues I'm reading about are a little surprising. I was warned however that some hosts, however exact, do differ.

If I can compile a list of hosts and their 'fit' I can decide if it's worth the risk to increase some of the dimensions a bit without reducing the pool of potential hosts for version 2.

A few things I am considering:

- A sloped section at the base as per most other drop-ins to provide more material for cooling and a bit more strength. I didn't even think about negative contact springs when I designed the current pill.

- No silver foil. It's too finicky to work with and so thin it's almost useless if the host isn't a perfect fit already.

- No silver plating(!). It's benefits are obvious but it's not a protective layer and it can scratch if moved from host to host a lot. That being said it looks fantastic and does a great job...so I might keep it going.

Other changes are top secret :)

- Matt

easilyled

Flashaholic
Mine arrived yesterday, but I wasn't sure what host to select for it.
This morning I removed my Oveready L3N from my custom black HA SF C2 (with triad tail) and replaced it with this one.
Using all the silver foil supplied, the drop-in snugs into the body very tightly and the bezel screws all the way down.
I can't wait until night-time to test out the Hi-CRI but the tint looks good to me in so far as I can judge in the daylight.
The drop-in itself is a work of art, absolutely beautiful.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
- No silver plating(!). It's benefits are obvious but it's not a protective layer and it can scratch if moved from host to host a lot. That being said it looks fantastic and does a great job...so I might keep it going.

Other changes are top secret :)

- Matt

Don't know how much silver plating would be as an option, be nice if it were at least optional. IMO

tjhabak

Enlightened
Matt, mine came yesterday. I thought that was pretty fast from Australia to Ohio! Anyways, I love it. The color rendering is awesome. I have very few high CRI or warm LEDs. This one is really nice. I also love the beam with the clear narrow optic. For me it gives the perfect beam. I've always leaned toward a big smooth even hotspot for my purposes. I don't need throwers. Also, my host is a standard Solarforce L2. I know....not the most classy set-up for such a nice drop-in but....its what I had here. With the silver foil provided, it fits pretty snug, but I'm going to use some copper foil I have at work to make sure I get the best possible heat transfer. Just to let you know, I haven't had any issues at all, other than the memory seems a little finnicky. Overall, I really like it, and I'm glad I have one to call my own. Thanks to you and your brother for bringing us such a cool product. I may have to get one from run two!:D

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Another happy customer for the Wright brothers. Im very pleased with the module. The build quality is top notch, and the nichia tint and beam speaks for itself. Mine is permanently installed in a Solarforce L2P/McClicky with a A001 heavy finned bezel. I used a large outer P60 spring and heavily wrapped the module with foil for a tight fit. No flickering. This is my favorite triple and the first one to be kept for the long haul. This definitely builds excitement to see what's next from WrightLights.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! It's really good to get positive reviews - makes the nervous wait bearable haha!

I haven't had any issues at all, other than the memory seems a little finnicky.

I agree it is a little weird the memory. My brother was going on about it the other day saying "It's memory but it's not". He spent a good 15mins explaining it to me but seen as I'm not a memory guy it sort of went over my head a little bit. All I can say is that sometimes it remembers the mode when you don't think it should and other times it doesn't. Chris did work the pattern out but as I said I can't remember what it was. He might pop in and clue us up.

As for fitment I sold the last of the drop-ins last night to a CPFer local to me and when I took it round we put it in a 6P with a Cryos bezel. The fit was slightly loose so we put the silver foil in. Despite having held, folded and installed the drop-ins before I never remember how thin and easy to tear that silver foil/leaf is. Massive pain in the butt!!! For this particular host though it provided a perfectly tight fit so it will definitely do it's job well.

- Matt

Last edited:

BarryH

Enlightened
Mine will have to make it through the Post, before I can try it in any Host... :poke:

:nana:

- Barry

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most drivers remember the mode they were on once they've been off for a few seconds ie. select your mode by flashing through them, and once you leave it off for 3 secs it remembers where you were.

There are other drivers that remember the mode based on how long you leave it on ie. select your mode, and run it for longer than 10 secs for it to remember that mode next time.

The second way is rarer and tends to confuse people at first - maybe that's how these ones work (mine's got no memory so I'm only guessing)

easilyled

Flashaholic

I agree it is a little weird the memory. My brother was going on about it the other day saying "It's memory but it's not". He spent a good 15mins explaining it to me but seen as I'm not a memory guy it sort of went over my head a little bit. All I can say is that sometimes it remembers the mode when you don't think it should and other times it doesn't. ............

- Matt

Mine has memory and seems to work the way of quite a few of my other drivers.
That is that I have to make sure to hold it in the mode that I want it to memorize for a few seconds before releasing it.
This is more intuitive with a full click on in the level you want to memorize.
If you are navigating levels by momentary pressing, then you have to remember to hold the momentary press for long enough.

Then to be on the safe side as mvyrmnd says, leave it off for a few seconds as well.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received last night -- it's rocking with that elliptical optic.

Regarding fitment, I've got it in a SolarForce L2X, and mechanical contact is real good with ~2.5 turns of coke can and a couple layers of silver foil and/or crumpled silver foil bits (that stuff's fragile!); a spring provides electrical contact. I like coke can better than kitchen aluminum foil because there's less layers, therefore less surface-to-surface thermal resistance, but it has the downside of not being a good electrical conductor because of the oxide and paint. (The obvious solution is to etch or sand it down to bare aluminum, especially since that can't be doing any good thermally either, but I was in a hurry. I may sand a can and rewrap it tonight...)

So while it could have been avoided, I had to use a spring to get good electrical contact -- I think it'd be worth retaining this capability.

iNcHeS

Newly Enlightened
Alas I can not enlighten anyone with the memory function of driver 1 :( Driver 2 no memory however seems to have a prep mode? So you can flick through quickly without leaving it on and it will start at the next sequence the next time you turn it on? But if you leave it on in anyone mode the next time you turn it on, it will start from the beginning.

Glad to hear most of you are enjoying the colour rendition as much as we do :) And apologies once again to those suffering flickering, I'm assuming Matt has PM'd you though :)

Good news! I have a break in my exam block (Thank f**k) and will be shipping the remaining dropin's out tomorrow (Illumination I think Matt has PM'd you, your's is the only one that won't make this run :( )

Thanks guys!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The memory is 'locked' on due to the time the drop in is turned on. If you switch it on for a micro second only, it will scroll to the next level on the next switch on event no matter how long you leave the light off. Just remember to turn it on and leave it on for at least 1 second for the memory to be set. It is a nice UI when you get used to it. It's much better than other units that require 2-3 seconds to memorise your level. One second is about right IMHO.

It's the same UI as Don's lights except Don's lightd remember the light level almost instantly.

James....

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
Just wanted to report that mine came yesterday, and I'm very pleased with it! In my 1x18650 Fivemega host, the fit is as I expected: pretty good, with room for improvement that the silver foil takes care of very well. I'm very glad I chose the options I did, because without some kind of special cooling bezel the head comes up to temperature fast (that's the foil!) and it's just below that uncomfortable level. I can't imagine trying to run a full-bore model very long without a serious host! Optics were easy to swap out to try different ones, although I am going to stick with the narrow (a relative term, to be sure) for now. The frosted wide one is fabulous for flood junkies though :) Haven't gotten to do more than play yet, will report if flickering or other unusual behavior manifests. Looking good, and I like the letter that came with it! Keep up the good work. :)

easilyled

Flashaholic
I did some preliminary comparisons regarding the color rendition of the triple-219 vs an Oveready cool-triple and a warm XM-L.

What I saw correlated 100% with some of the beamshots already in view.
The 219s bathed all colored objects in the same kind of ambience as if they were lit by natural daylight.
There seemed to be no exagerrations, the reds and browns were brought out as they should (much more so than for the cool-white)

The warm XM-L brought out the reds and browns too, but at the expense of bathing all the lighter objects in an unnatural orangey tone, when compared to the 219s.

Considering the refreshingly high color-temperature of the 219s, the color rendition was amazing.
Now, if only CREE could develop some 5000K high-CRI XM-Ls of T6 or higher bin!