Night vision (not the goggles)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I do miss the older led's. Your right they weren't much on spill but threw a ton

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind those high lumen ones, but I guess I just peaked out early because I believe there is still a place
for those lower lumen throwers--sure the high lumen, bright spill ones are impressive, but the lower lumen throwers are more practical to me.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think when it is very dark lower lumens would seem better unless you are shining way out because if you shining up close the glareback will hurt your night vision.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed it for sure being in my mid-40's.

I am more sensitive to bright light, I am always driving with my polarized sunglasses from just after dawn to dusk as the bright sunlight is irritating. Bright sunny winter days with the reflection off the snow is is nigh unto painful for me without sunglasses.

At night I loathe the blue laser LED headlamps...and the PnP HID kits....and now the PnP LED bulbs. I too long for the days of halogen warmness and low blue light irritability.

I consciously chose to go the lower lumen route when picking my lights. I only have 2 lights that exceed 175 lumens, my TH20 headlamp which rarely has more than 100 lumens selected and the TN4A which rarely even gets used (my SAR light). I have found that nearly all my tasks can be done with less than 30 lumens of assistance. I say assistance because I enjoy preserving my night vision as much as I can by using just enough light to get the job done whether it be changing my cars engine oil, repair a furnace part or navigating around a dark room with 0.02 lumens.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed it for sure being in my mid-40's.

I am more sensitive to bright light, I am always driving with my polarized sunglasses from just after dawn to dusk as the bright sunlight is irritating. Bright sunny winter days with the reflection off the snow is is nigh unto painful for me without sunglasses.

At night I loathe the blue laser LED headlamps...and the PnP HID kits....and now the PnP LED bulbs. I too long for the days of halogen warmness and low blue light irritability.

try yellow driving glasses, it helps a lot with blue lights.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ml25 is a good light, but it washes things out up close and in my yard I look down when I walk--I have to or I'll trip on things. I can see those trip hazards better with a lower lumen light or even a 9 lumen 2aaa mini mag incan. Too old to be tripping on things.

Last edited: