Nightvision, IR Illuminators, specifically designing for in vehivle use.

skoronesa

Newly Enlightened
We have mentioned so far:
Recievers:
-FLIR systems made for car mounting using heat sensing technology
-standard backup cameras with ir lenses
-sony night shot camera
Illuminators:
-leds in the ir range
-halogens and other standard bulbs with ir lenses
-ir laser pointers
Displays:
-none so far, any suggestions?

**edit, I did mention my "pioneer avic-n2 head unit", it has a built in screen"**

Last edited:

skoronesa

Newly Enlightened
I have seen dvd players that strap to the back of the headrest and have a second screen for the other seat. one of these second screens would be perfect. they are just a screen with rca inputs.

tangouniform

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck with emitters like those linked when combined with a really cheap USB webcam after I cracked it open and pulled the IR-spectrum filter out. Ideally you'd replace it with a visible-spectrum filter like exposed film.

Unfortunately this wasn't for a vehicular application; in those cases, I prefer to use dual-tube NODs to retain depth perception. Still trying to find suitable IR-spectrum illuminators. Your mileage may vary.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had good luck with emitters like those linked when combined with a really cheap USB webcam after I cracked it open and pulled the IR-spectrum filter out. Ideally you'd replace it with a visible-spectrum filter like exposed film.

Unfortunately this wasn't for a vehicular application; in those cases, I prefer to use dual-tube NODs to retain depth perception. Still trying to find suitable IR-spectrum illuminators. Your mileage may vary.

My unit issues single eye PVS14's [iirc]. It's a huge remidner every time i put them on just how important depth perception is... My first time using them was a platoon live fire event... wow, was I fubar'd.

This is a pretty interesting idea. It'd be useful if the camera could take into account the driver field of view and project it, HUD style in front of the driver.

LEss dangerous, I'dimagine than having to look away at a screen