NiteCore D10 & EX10 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS & more!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone done current measurements on the D10 lowest setting?

I haven't seen any reported. I'd like to know what the current is a the lowest setting on the D10. I am really on the fence about buying this light and want to make sure that its low is low enough and not too blue.
The lowest low on the D10 is just about low enough for anyone I can imagine. And no blueness tint at all.

If you need lower you should buy a maglite solitaire and use it with a half dead battery. :laughing:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't seen any reported. I'd like to know what the current is a the lowest setting on the D10. I am really on the fence about buying this light and want to make sure that its low is low enough and not too blue.

I've been really pleased with the low on both my EX10 and my D10. Don't know what the current is, but it passes my real world test---works great as a read-in-bed-without-disturbing-the-sleeping-wife light. In contrast, my Fenix EO1 is too bright for that assignment. The EX10/D10 low provides a little less total output than my CMG Infinity (not Ultra), with a brighter, more defined spot and a narrower spill beam. Low is a bit dimmer on CR123As or eneloops than on li-ion cells. And, the beam is not blue. :)

Last edited:

Tubor

Enlightened
I really like how the D10 has a really nice low (1/3 that of the Nitecore DI woohoo!) on normal batteries OR 14500's! That is pretty amazing really! Nice and bright too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

About the only way to make the low setting lower would be to turn it off! :D

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen anyone take a current measurement in ma of the d10 on its lowest mode. Does anyone have any data?

Here are some results of my EX10 on lowest setting:
Code:
V     mA
0.8   48
1.2   30
1.5   22
1.8   18
3.0   10.5
3.7    8.5
3.9    7
4.2    9

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I agree!!

I've left my D10 on low and not even realized it was on, because it is so low. :D
Probably one of the only led light packing a punch that has a low that you can actually look at the reflector and not be blinded! :eek:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Probably one of the only led light packing a punch that has a low that you can actually look at the reflector and not be blinded! :eek:
Following up on a question in my LF5XT review thread, I can match the min output levels of my various lights to my Novatac 120P in my lightbox.

My LF5XT min has almost identical output to my Novatac level #10, which is rated at 1.9 lumens.

My original NDI min was a good match to level #9, 1.3 lumens.

And my D10/EX10 min is a good match to level #5, 0.33 lumens, or #6 0.47 lumens, depending on the battery.

Cheers! :wave:

m16a

Enlightened

Following up on a question in my LF5XT review thread, I can match the min output levels of my various lights to my Novatac 120P in my lightbox.

My LF5XT min has almost identical output to my Novatac level #10, which is rated at 1.9 lumens.

My original NDI min was a good match to level #9, 1.3 lumens.

And my D10/EX10 min is a good match to level #5, 0.33 lumens, or #6 0.47 lumens, depending on the battery.

Cheers! :wave:

So are you saying that the EX10/D10 low is less than a lumen? Thats amazing!!! I wonder why they rated it at 3 and 5 lumens when its a good deal lower...:shrug:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

So are you saying that the EX10/D10 low is less than a lumen? Thats amazing!!! I wonder why they rated it at 3 and 5 lumens when its a good deal lower...:shrug:
That's exactly what I'm saying. :)

I suspect NiteCore doesn't have access to a calibrated lumen integrative sphere to test, so they wanted to be be conservative in their numbers. But those are the corresponding output levels of these 1AA lights relative to the Novatac published specs.

m16a

Enlightened

That's exactly what I'm saying. :)

I suspect NiteCore doesn't have access to a calibrated lumen integrative sphere to test, so they wanted to be be conservative in their numbers. But those are the corresponding output levels of these 1AA lights relative to the Novatac published specs.

two words....

thats

amazing.

Seriously... These lights come up with something to amaze you even more every time new stuff comes up about them:party:

amanichen

Enlightened
I hate to be a pest, but any chance of a 50% output runtime of the DX10 on a NIMH? :grin2: :popcorn:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I hate to be a pest, but any chance of a 50% output runtime of the DX10 on a NIMH? :grin2: :popcorn:
Already done on Eneloops:

NCD10-MedEne.gif

I don't plan to do any other NiMH medium runs, but you could estimate other capacity NiMH based on these. I find my eneloops have ~2100mAh capacity, according to my Maya charger.

amanichen

Enlightened
Already done on Eneloops:

I don't plan to do any other NiMH medium runs, but you could estimate other capacity NiMH based on these. I find my eneloops have ~2100mAh capacity, according to my Maya charger.
Sorry, I meant the second D10 you received, the one with the different Vf on the LED. If you don't want to or don't have time that's fine. You've already done more than your fair share of runtimes :laughing:

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Just found out about these new lights now.... needed info and of course I went straight to the reviews section and hey presto, another superb review from selfbuilt!

Much appreciated as always!

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
Hi every one
I love my D10 and use it everyday but when i bought it,
the PD tail switch is silver polish colour and now it turn to
darker and darker colour.
Is this normal ?

jbviau

Enlightened
TodToh, that happened to me on my first EX10. The button part of the piston is nickel-plated, and apparently the plating can tarnish in some cases. Mine became a dull brass color--kind of nice actually! It wouldn't wash off. I posted about this last week in one of the threads but didn't get any responses. As far as I know, 7777 and Nitecore haven't addressed the issue yet. In the meantime, if you google "nickel tarnish" or something like that I'm sure you'll find suggestions about how to remove the tarnish. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I like tarnished silver and nickel.

The chain I wear has been virtually black for years from working at the hot springs. Maybe I'll try taking my PD out and put it in the rock lake!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really great review, with so much info its practically overwhelming.. Would it be possible to get all the D10 measurements on a single graph with no other flashlights?

That way we could easier compare alk, nimh (lsd and hicap), liion to each other.