Nitecore EA41 1020 Lumens [Updated 2015 Version] - Worth it?

KiwiBlue

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

Nitecore is updating their EA41 from XM-L2 T6 to XM L2 U2. As a result of this, they claim;

EA41 XM-L2 T6 (Old Version)EA41 XM-L2 U2 (2015 Version)
Lumens960 (Turbo)1020 (Turbo)
cd25,000 cd35,594 cd
ThrowUp to 315mUp to 376m

Do you think that these upgrade are significant and therefore, justify me to sell the old EA41 and upgrade to the 2015 version?

I would have thought that the increase of 60 lumens would not be noticeable?

Can someone stop me from upgrading because apparently I've already spent too much! :grin2:

Taz80

Enlightened
The 35,594 cd must be a misprint, they probably meant 25,594 cd. Unless they increased the size of the reflector significantly or dedomed the led. You're not going to gain 10,594 cd with 60 lumens. So, no its not worth it.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't. Unless you are one of those 'gotta have the biggest' people, there is not that much difference. Off the top of my head, we're talking about a 6% increase in lumens, and a 20% increase in throw, with a 40% increase in cd. Someone is going to have to do a lot of fast talking to explain how they got a 40% increase in cd out of a 6% increase in lumens. The outside dimensions didn't change, and I don't see how they could have engineered a deeper reflector in the space they have, or they would have done it for the original. Both the T6 and U2 dies are the exact same dimension, so no change there.
In my mind, a change to an 80 or 90 CRI would definitely be worth the money, and maybe for a neutral white. The run times all remain the same, so no reason to upgrade there.

Fender Bender

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information.

Nitecore has a very nice selection. I'm working on replacing my 10 year old every day carry LED SureFire with either a Nitecore or Sunwayman.

INQO

Newly Enlightened
The 35,594 cd must be a misprint, they probably meant 25,594 cd. Unless they increased the size of the reflector significantly or dedomed the led. You're not going to gain 10,594 cd with 60 lumens. So, no its not worth it.

Hey, I believe it is possible. It would have been a mistake, not only in quantity but also in the range of Candela ordained. From the formula of calculating the distance due candela = 0.25x throw to the square.
Furthermore, the intensity can be achieved by varying the geometry of the reflector. After Fenix TK75 V2 120 000 Candela intensity at three LEDs, which gives a diode 40 000 Candela and the diameter of the whole head is only 87.5mm.
I believe that this little baby EA41 v2 is worth the exchange, at least I do it I make with my EA4W :)

ven

Flashaholic
I wonder if its worth waiting a couple more months for the 2016 version............

I like updates:) but not too early as i would not be happy if i had just purchased the light.............

Also nitecore do exaggerate claims,so i take with a pinch of salt

KiwiBlue

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if its worth waiting a couple more months for the 2016 version............

I like updates:) but not too early as i would not be happy if i had just purchased the light.............

Also nitecore do exaggerate claims,so i take with a pinch of salt

Yea, it is rather annoying since my EA41 is only 3 months old.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Furthermore, the intensity can be achieved by varying the geometry of the reflector.

That was my point. The only reflector geometry change that could be made to extend the throw would be to lengthen the reflector to narrow the hot spot. That would increase the cd and the throw. But there is no room to do that. The external dimensions of the EA41 did not change. If there was room in the interior to allow lengthening the reflector, don't you think they would have done that the first time? The only other possibility would be some sort of optic like a fresnel lens, but clearly there is none visible in the photos.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not buy one as an upgrade even to my EA40, and it is one of the original 860 lumen models. When they upgrade it to put out about 2000 lumens, then I may consider it!! :devil:

KiwiBlue

Newly Enlightened
I would not buy one as an upgrade even to my EA40, and it is one of the original 860 lumen models. When they upgrade it to put out about 2000 lumens, then I may consider it!! :devil:

Have you considered the EAX? 8 times AA for 2,000 lumen I believe? I have one, it is a bit bulky, but it is a good light.

fireonhigh

Newly Enlightened
not to me,i had the og,the rubber button is junk,had the light replaced, this time it stopped working ,im not going back there, but i will be giving this some time,i hope its better than the ea crap..TM06

Last edited by a moderator:

M109guy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, looking for your thoughts on the ea41. I was going to order 1 then saw this thread. The dealer said they only had the 2014 model and would be a couple of weeks for the 2015. Not in a huge rush so should I wait for the 2015 model? I think it's the same price. Thanks guys for your input.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have one at all right now, I would probably wait for the newer version. It is a little better than the current EA41, I don't think anyone is denying that. Our discussion has been whether it is worth it to get the upgraded model when we already have the current version. Either way, enjoy a great small light. We all do.

KiwiBlue

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, looking for your thoughts on the ea41. I was going to order 1 then saw this thread. The dealer said they only had the 2014 model and would be a couple of weeks for the 2015. Not in a huge rush so should I wait for the 2015 model? I think it's the same price. Thanks guys for your input.

I have the 2014 EA41. In my opinion is it a good solid little light. It is very compact and it does give you a lot of light. If you are using this for general purpose, you cannot go wrong with the EA41.