Nitecore Flashlights: Are they durable?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, thedoc007: What kind of work do you do with your lights? Do they get dropped? How much runtime are they under any given work period, etc.? I have three NiteCore lights and an i2 charger, all good.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, thedoc007: What kind of work do you do with your lights? Do they get dropped? How much runtime are they under any given work period, etc.? I have three NiteCore lights and an i2 charger, all good.

I work for a delivery company. I belt carry a light all day, anywhere from six to twelve hours depending on the day. I've found it handy on the road more than once, but I won't count incidental usage. Mainly, my location has a warehouse full of trucks. At the end of the night, I go through about 45 trucks checking for overlooked packages. Most of the trucks are already indoors, and the warehouse is lit, but not very brightly. And it is easy to miss a small package behind a bulkhead door, or supply rack, or under a shelf, etc. So I use a light to make them easier to spot. There are also usually at least a few trucks still outside, and now that night is coming earlier, it comes in REALLY handy for those. Takes about a half hour, is all - but during that time I might click it on and off a hundred times, easily, so it is vital for me to have a good forward clicky. I have had only one switch fail, and that was on a Fenix. Wasn't a big deal, just a loose retaining ring, and I fixed it easily enough once I got home. As I said in my earlier post, I try to not abuse the lights...but I do drop them occasionally. Either onto concrete, or metal floors. Most of my lights do have minor damage to the anodizing, but I haven't had any lights stop working after a drop.

The bigger (multiple 18650) lights I use for night hikes. I have never dropped any of those...other than water resistance, I don't test them much.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
Thats why i think the toughness of a light is overrated. Fireworkers in germany use flahlights made of strong plastics, police use outdated flashlights without LED i guess, thats why most police officers buy their own LED lights. The army use this http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0073NUWKU/
So a flashlight dont have to be bulletproof because those lights mentioned are definately not. You just dont roll a car over your flashlight and you dont throw a flashlight from a mountain top. This is not real world usage, not even at police or military. there are flashlights for special purposes like diving or weapon lights that need to handle the recoil but thats another story. I cant see why nitecore should be worse then other chinese made lights, most lights from the better chinese brands are more or less the same i would say.

A super tough one would be a LED light without a driver at all, just reduced to the simplest. I would choose LED over a normal light bulb because its more shock proof

robert.t

Enlightened
If you want Surefire durability at Nitecore prices, what about Solarforce? Specifically, their various Surefire clones. I have not tried those yet, but I have a Solarforce Z2 and it's OK; the quality is nothing to write home about, but it's not terrible either. It's a nice little light, especially for the price.

The difference with Surefire - and I am referring mainly to the 6P, as I have one of those - is the way it is engineered. It reminds me of Soviet-era Russian military engineering, in that such hardware was engineered to withstand both the need for field servicing, and the possibility that it might be poorly made at the factory. The 6P has a very simple construction, so it's nearly impossible for anything to go wrong. Yet it has some clever engineering like the double spring on the P60 module, which ensures a consistent electrical contact (crucially, in both directions) under all sorts of conditions, even if the parts do not fit together very well. Most similarly-designed lights have zero or one springs at the business end, which makes them a lot more sensitive to damage or manufacturing variance.

I plan on building a clicky 6P clone at some point out of the range of Solarforce lego components - possibly using one of the many other P60 modules that are available; not necessarily a Solarforce one. Given the way the 6P (and the P60 module especially) is designed, there really is very little that can go wrong even if it is badly made, especially if you go with the Surefire-style tail cap rather than a clicky. Although from what I have read, the Solarforce ones are constructed as well as genuine Surefires anyway. If it comes to it, the modular design at least means that parts can easily be repaired, replaced, or upgraded as needed.

I also happen to have a Nitecore P12, and while it isn't terribly badly made, the attention to detail and finishing are certainly among the worst for the Chinese lights I have (and I have at least one from all the main brands). I can easily believe that the electronics are neither reliable, nor easily serviceable. It's probably the light I've found most disappointing compared to the "on paper" specs that made me buy it, although I doubt very much that I'd have found the equivalent Fenix models (such as the PD35) to be any better.

The downside of a 6P style light of course is the slightly larger diameter around the head, but it's not a huge difference. I find both too big for EDC anyway, so I have an Eagletac D20A Ti Clicky for that purpose. The P12 and the 6P are both about equally pocketable for those occasions where I need a slightly more substantial light. In that regard the P12 is certainly bright (and can be quite efficient in low-power modes), but it's not very throwy, so outdoors it often doesn't seem as bright as it really is. It has one of the more effective "tactical strobe" modes if that matters, but the efficacy of strobe for self defence purposes is dubious at best.

Of course, if the OP's question was "are Nitcecore so badly made that I shouldn't buy one even though the size, specification and price are exactly what I want" then the answer is no, just buy one, it's as good as anything you'll get at that price. If the question was "can Nitecore be reasonably described as durable" then the answer is also no. However the same is true for most things: if you're not going to be in a situation where your life depends on it, you're better off buying something cheap and OK, then replacing it when it fails rather than spending 2-5 times as much on a brand like Surefire that has a much higher standard of quality control. If OTOH, you expect to be dropping it a lot and durability is one of your main considerations over size, UI, etc., but it's not exactly life-critical, then a 6P clone is probably the way to go.

Also, if you are going to be in any situation, life critical or not, where you really depend on your light, you should have at least one backup, since the most reliable can still fail for all kinds of reasons, including the battery running out unexpectedly. One nice thing I will say about the P12 is that I have found the low battery indicator to be pretty reliable, whereas most LED lights I have when running on LiIon will simply cut out when the voltage gets too low, but since they are regulated you get no warning that this is about to happen (the light level stays exactly the same until it suddenly cuts off).

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
I cant see why nitecore should be worse then other chinese made lights, most lights from the better chinese brands are more or less the same i would say.

Agreed. In my experience with 4 or 5 Chinese brands, I find them all to be relatively equal in quality. Sometimes some are better than others, but not with any consistency over time.

And all companies produce the occasional lemons. I've gotten a couple over the years from more than one brand. My first and only SureFire failed in the first month. That must mean that all SureFires are unreliable, right? (No.)

if you're not going to be in a situation where your life depends on it, you're better off buying something cheap and OK, then replacing it when it fails rather than spending 2-5 times as much on a brand like Surefire that has a much higher standard of quality control.

Agreed. This seems to be the disconnect some don't seem understand. I would wager that most posters on this forum do not regularly need their light to save their life.

Also, if you are going to be in any situation, life critical or not, where you really depend on your light, you should have at least one backup

This. When I don't plan to need a light, I carry 2. When I plan on using a light, I carry 3 (or more).

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the philosophy of two is one, and one is none. This is why I carry 3 lights at work, where illumination is vital. In terms of durability being "overrated", I would disagree. It depends on the situation you are in, and what you use your lights for. For me, durability in lights is key. For this reason, I primarily use SF lights and Fenix lights. I'm not going to say Nitecore lights AREN'T durable, I am sure they are, but I don't have enough experience with nitecore to comment on their build quality. I would assume Fenix and Nitecore would be similar in terms of durability, although I have heard Fenix has a slight edge over nitecore.

SureFire lights are great, if you can afford it. They are built like tanks and last an eternity. I still have my SF 6PX from when I was deployed. Still works like it did out of the box, despite some cosmetic ware and tear. Fenix is also a great option if you can't afford a SF light or perhaps don't want to because of the lack of features and 18650ability. My old TK35 has seen a great level of abuse, and just like my 6PX, it still works just as well as it did out of the box.

I know this thread is about Nitecore, and I don't mean to venture too off topic, but I just want to offer my opinion and experiences with the OP. If you want a durable light, I can tell you that SF is definitely a great option if you can get over the price. Fenix is another good option, as I said earlier, if you can't or don't want to afford a SF. IMHO you can't go wrong with either. I'd rather have a few, rugged and reliable lights, than a bunch of cheapo's. That's just me, though.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
Its not that people regularly need their light to save their life, they want a light that is going to work if the disaster or home invasion etc. they are prepping for ever happens. As for Nitecore lights the more complicated you make something the more likely it will fail. The reason people are buying Nitecore is they are making some innovative lights that are affordable, like the SRT and Chameleon series. I like my Nitecores but Ive's never needed a light to save my life. If I did I'd carry one of my surefire's or malkoff's.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a PD35. Ive got both the 850 lumen model and the 2014 960 Lumen model. Ive also got a P12 I have been very disappointed with. The tube feels thinner and the anodizing isnt as good. It also does NOT make that many lumens there is just no way. Also for some reason the older PD35 I swear is brighter than the new one so save yourself some money and get that one and yes its been dropped kicked etc and still works perfectly. The P12 seems to be Nitecores answer to the PD35 and it just doesnt stack up

cigarbufff

Newly Enlightened
Ive had a few nitecore lights and i havnt had a problem at all with any of them...

yowzer

Enlightened
My D10 has been through the wash a few times, dropped more times than I can count, and generally abused. Still works as well as the day I got it.

My only other Nitecore is a EC25W, and the only abuse it's gotten is overheating when it accidentally turns on in my pocket. Still works great, even though it's gotten hot enough to burn my hand when I go to turn it off. Gets a tailcap lockout when it's not turned on after that.

Ishango

Enlightened
I too didn't experience any problems with my Nitecore lights. My EX10 has been around and still works great (only thing I dislike is the parasitic drain on this one).

I too feel that the bodies of my Fenix lights are just a bit more sturdy, but the Nitecore lights are not bad. Like others said the more gimmicks on a light the more failure points.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this. I am writing this because I am curious to know what some of you actually put your lights through.

Some of you commented that your EX10 and/or D10 are working well, but as far as I am concerned those were manufactured eons ago before Sysmax took over Nitecore. Correct me if I am wrong. I never had any problems with those EX10 and D10, that is until Sysmax took over and started producing a bunch of crap lights that either failed or didn't perform up to expectations in their initial phase after the takeover from the original owners of Nitecore. Do you guys remember all those posts regarding failures a few years back? Maybe you guys are talking about a new production of D10 and EX10 produced by Sysmax which if I am not wrong is renamed the D11 and EX11. Talk about that, the D11 which I bought has a horrible parasitic drain, more like a short circuit, which consumed my fully charged 14500 in a day of pocket carry when I had not even activated the light.

A few other lights I bought had other problems. A sand tan IFE1 suffered clicky switch issues and no matter how hard I tightened it, it either flickers, or failed to react to my clicking. To make matters worst, the so called hard anodized sand tan finishing started falling off the body like how powder would fall off after being rubbed. What's left of it is the blackish looking anodization under the sand tan color. This happened all in a matter of a day of pocket carry.

An IFE2 started flickering on the higher outputs no matter what battery I replaced it with. Cleaned all the threads but it is useless.

Over the pass few years I have encountered problems with all my other Nitecore products within a few days of ownership and I had to return them all.

It was the TM26 which brought back the little bit of confidence I have had with Nitecore. So after almost 1 year of problem free ownership, and thus feeling bolder I bought an EA8W only to have it die on me when I hardly ever used it.

This said, I find it hard to believe that some of you here are not encountering any problems. Other than the one poster who had dropped his light a few times, that left me asking, "Are you guys really using your Nitecore lights?" or are they really just shelf queens maybe being used a minute or two a week? Maybe some of you guys are lucky, or I am probably the most unlucky guy on this planet? I guess I will never know.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
This said, I find it hard to believe that some of you here are not encountering any problems.

There are a number of people who have posted problems. It isn't the case that everyone is praising Nitecore's quality or reliability. You can't expect everyone to have issues...if the failure rate was truly as high as your posts suggest, the company would be out of business. Certainly some people will have better luck than others, with a given brand. I myself have had many issues with FourSevens, and many people seem to think their quality is much better than average (they definitely have a better warranty). The point is, a small sample size does not really prove anything. I don't think that because I haven't had problems, that their reliability is unparalleled. On the flip side, you shouldn't assume that your experience is representative either.

ven

Flashaholic
Out of all the brands i have had no issue with nitecore,one issue with fenix(sorted in 3 weeks with part delivered) one issue with klarus with snapped clip,would not send so wont use again(small thing maybe,how about an expensive light!!) no thanks.............lenser one issue with lt,my fault,free part posted free next day,will continue to use. Not had a maglite break apart from bulbs,very poor output though.

Anyway where were we .........nitecore thats it,like their lights,like the innovation,some maybe mall ninja.........so what :laughing:

No issues with ea4 button,although not left in glove box at 120oF and new type anyway. P25 is a great light,like the momentary,like the side mode,just a great light imo.

Used more now the tm15,love it,heavy,solid,well made feel,tripod mount,charge cells in light,handle has brought some novelty back,.with me every night for round house,garden duty etc.

None get a hard life as in thrown,battered,knocked nails in,but i have confidence in them as issues usually show soon(first week or even day for a bad light).

Quality wise may not be quite fenix but not far off,both china,both could be a pita to sort if not a local distributor(who is good)but this applies to most lights excluding home made/built specials.

So pretty good from me,prefer fenix by a tad but not much in it...............

i think better QC with all manufacturers is required,by the way the only DOA light branded i had was a Fenix....

Taz80

Enlightened
I've had a P25 since they first came out, used it quite a bit then put it in my work bag. I don't use it alot but when I need it it works. I also have a SRT7 that I use nightly with no problems. I am pretty easy on my lights though, they only get dropped occasionally.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll weigh in here. I think there are a lot of issues to do with luck, and some to do with systemic better/worse design practices. The latter tends to be tied to price.

In my *humble* opinion, once we get away from cheap, or even cheap-ish lights (many of which I happen to really like), there are three classes:

Very good: Nightcore, Fenix 4Sevens/Olight, Eagletac, etc.

Damn good: HDS, Malkoff, Surefire, etc.

CRAZY good: The high $$$ customs, such as McGizmo, which I wish I could justify, but never have for my use. I use redundancy to avoid paying this much for a single light for better assurance of reliability (not that I would not have at least one back up for any light, no matter how bulletproof). One of these days, I will own one.

All that said, I have a bunch Nightcore lights, and none of them have ever had any problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
compared to nearly ALL their competitors then NO Nitecore is NOT durable. Fenix, Olight etc poop all over them in terms of build quality I still do not understand how Nitecore got so popular most likely through their gimmicky and totally crappy Tiny Monster series ugh