Nitecore HC30 Field Testing Review.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Got my hc30 this morning and v pleasantly surprised by the headband, size and build quality compared to the xtar warboy. Stuck a flat top 18650 in and no joy...will the hc30 only work with protected button tops?

Blues

Enlightened
Got my hc30 this morning and v pleasantly surprised by the headband, size and build quality compared to the xtar warboy. Stuck a flat top 18650 in and no joy...will the hc30 only work with protected button tops?

I only have protected button tops. Will it work if you add a small washer or something to aid conductivity? I hope this works out to your satisfaction. I've been using mine twice per night (since it gets darker earlier these days) and it has been a joy to use thus far.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I only have protected button tops. Will it work if you add a small washer or something to aid conductivity? I hope this works out to your satisfaction. I've been using mine twice per night (since it gets darker earlier these days) and it has been a joy to use thus far.
Oh I have some button tops en route to me it's just they won't be here for a few days and the frustration of having a new torch and not being able to play with it is annoying. If my patience gives up I will try your washer idea...cheers.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I had to twist the tail cap on and off (even removed and replace the battery from the tube) a few times before it would accept a flat top but once accepted it runs it. That said I just tested it now as run protected given the nature of the headlamp aka no low voltage cut-off.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I was too scared to mess about with the spring and whatnot so waited and got my protected cells this afternoon...very happy...what a great little light and v comfortable wearing it...I am looking forward to nightfall and driving out to the middle of nowhere!

Blues

Enlightened
I was too scared to mess about with the spring and whatnot so waited and got my protected cells this afternoon...very happy...what a great little light and v comfortable wearing it...I am looking forward to nightfall and driving out to the middle of nowhere!

Great to hear. I love mine as well. It's been a godsend and a terrific replacement for my old Petzl and PrincetonTec headlamps.

Woods Walker

It's got some throw and is really really bright. You will have fun!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
High Woods Walker!

Your reviews and videos are always enjoying!
I got the headlamp a few weeks ago, I chosed neutral white option. I really like it! Simple operation and good brightness levels. Good for walking and cycling but I think it will jump in the holder a bit too much for running. And the design is nice as well. While turbomode is really impressive I find high and even mid mode bright enough for many tasks at some distance.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

High Woods Walker!

Your reviews and videos are always enjoying!
I got the headlamp a few weeks ago, I chosed neutral white option. I really like it! Simple operation and good brightness levels. Good for walking and cycling but I think it will jump in the holder a bit too much for running. And the design is nice as well. While turbomode is really impressive I find high and even mid mode bright enough for many tasks at some distance.

Glad the light worked out and thanks for the positive comments. I really appreciate that. :) It's an ok runner but I don't think it was made with that in mind.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I'm not in the market for a new headlamp but it's always fun seeing some real-world usage pictures and information. Good stuff! Missed this thread when it was created (along with plenty of other threads haha).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came home after a short walk in the forest with my HC30N. Really nice headlamp. Lightweight, and for walking and cycling it is almost not noticeable on the head. I am very pleased with the neutral tint and the beam character is good for allround use.

Blues

Enlightened
Totally agree, Swedpat. I have found this headlamp (neutral) to be near perfect for my usage and it has (thus far) proven to be ultra reliable with excellent run times.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I went out with the bicycle and used HC30 as light. Headlamps are great for bikes and HC30 is perfect. While brighter levels may be more fun I find the mid mode of 210lumens definitely to be adequate for "normal" bicycle speed of 15-20mph.
I like the UI with instant ultra low mode or turbomode and the possibility of using memory function. Only drawback in my opinion is that when using a short click for ultra low mode and a long click for turbomode these become memorized! They simply don't need to be memorized when it's already a built in direct access to them.
Otherwise I really like HC30 and would buy it again.

MacDiver

Newly Enlightened
Do you find that it is heavyer in weight and a lighter headlamp like the Black Diamond Storm may be a better choice? It is also much larger than the Storm 7-5-2 vs 2" all around on the Storm. The Storm also meets speed of the bike that's needed at 250 lumens. Just something to think about. Weight is 5.6 oz vs 3.2 oz.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find that it is heavyer in weight and a lighter headlamp like the Black Diamond Storm may be a better choice? It is also much larger than the Storm 7-5-2 vs 2" all around on the Storm. The Storm also meets speed of the bike that's needed at 250 lumens. Just something to think about. Weight is 5.6 oz vs 3.2 oz.

Hi MacDiver,

If your question is asked to me I have no experience of the Black Diamond Storm.

Latest posts