Nitecore HC90 tip

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Hey what's up guys, new guy here. Im an electrician and have been running the hc90 for about a month now. It's an amazing light so far, best part is being able to dim it to whatever i want and being able to light up huge areas. I didn't think about the slide being a problem but unfortunately i do a lot of drilling and cutting over my head and the slide has just been getting loaded with crap. The slide pointing up defiantly doesnt workout for me. After a good clean with a tooth brush and needle i decided to take the light apart and flip it upside down instead and it helps a ton to keep the slide free from junk

1422321014_zps8989c3ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1422321006_zps7a215917.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Losen up the usb charger cap with a pair of channel locks and remove it, remove battery cap and the light will pop out of the bracket. You're going to have to lightly file the inside of the hole on the bracket so the usb charger side will fit. Picture of what side im talking about on bottom. Hope this is useful to some!

1422320997_zps8465eb44.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lemma1

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I use my HC90vn in a relatively dry environment and don't have the problems that you do but it may not be a bad idea in any case. I am looking at my light right now but I don't see how to do what you did.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Both sides of the light unscrew, on the side that has the usb charger you're going to need channel locks because it's really tight and i think they put thread lock on the threads. After you get both sides off pop the light out of the bracket and flip it around. You'll notice though the usb side of the light is a tight fit back into the bracket so you'll have to file the inside of the hole some until it pushes all the way through. Hope that helps!

faucon

Enlightened
Thanks Jose, I would never have thought of doing this. I don't use my HC90 in such harsh conditions, but I've read of cavers who routinely get mud in the slide and say that rinsing it off and then applying some lubricant works for them. Of course, cavers probably aren't getting a ton of dry, gritty material into the slide the way you were, so your tip should be really helpful for anybody working under consistently gritty conditions the way you do.

a199578

Enlightened
Why not just take the straps off the light then flip it so it is upside down and put the straps back on? Just tried it on mine and it works. Just had to adjust top strap to go bigger. Will it fit on a helmet? that I don't know. just a suggestion.

mummel

Newly Enlightened
Why not just take the straps off the light then flip it so it is upside down and put the straps back on? Just tried it on mine and it works. Just had to adjust top strap to go bigger. Will it fit on a helmet? that I don't know. just a suggestion.

This seems like a good idea.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I wanted to do that originally but i need the top strap to be long to stretch over the helmet. Does the light feel less supported with a big loop in it and the bracket upside down? Thanks

Last edited:

Oogabooga

Newly Enlightened
Jose, you are the perfect person to ask my questions about this light.
I'm an ICI electrician in IBEW 353 in Toronto and i was thinking of getting the HC90.
Currently I use a 3xAAA coast headlight (h7 i think?). It's a decent light but I dislike the AAA's.
The micro USB rechargable 18650 saves me from having to get a battery charger.
Anyways, I wasn't sure about a few things:
-concerned about blinding coworkers, is it easy to keep the slider on the lower end?
- is your hard hat significantly heavier with the HC90 on it? neck pain?

also: "drilling and cutting over my head and the slide has just been getting loaded with crap" was one of the bigger concerns i had, so excellent tip!

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
I have one that I'm ready to part with. I use my other headlamps more and this one has been sitting in a drawer for months. Email me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

jsnngyn

Newly Enlightened
I have one that I'm ready to part with. I use my other headlamps more and this one has been sitting in a drawer for months. Email me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Hey Toolboxkid,
I'm looking for a HC90 at the moment! I bought 2 HC50's thinking they'd be USB rechargeable so I'm already down some serious cash, would definitely be interested in saving some money on a second handy!