Nitecore MH12 Pro Review - 3300 lumens, UHi LED

ro.ma.

Enlightened
2m

Nitecore MH12 Pro was sent to me directly by Nitecore for the review.
For technical details and to purchase the torch:
https://www.nitecorestore.com/MH12-Pro- … h12pro.htm

Nitecore MH12 Pro completely renews the Multitask Hybrid series bringing many new features and better performance.
"Both NiteLab and NITECORE belong to SYSMAX, which is dedicated to exploring LED technology to reinvent LED flashlight solutions. NiteLab works with an industrial partner to jointly develop the UHi LED series, specially designed for flashlights. Featuring high light density and high beam intensity, the UHi LED uses the round light-emitting surface (LES) to achieve optimal lighting effect and beam distance."

Nitecore MH12 Pro is the first to use the Uhi 40 version. The characteristics and strengths of this LED are the small size of the LED, the ultra-high light density (maximum brightness per square millimeter of the light-emitting surface) and ultra powerful light output.
The round light-emitting surface (LES) of the UHi 40 LED matches perfectly with the round reflector, allowing for high light conversion efficiency and a bright, clear hotspot.

qSAe6jth_o.jpg

Nitecore MH12 Pro features the new Uhi 40 LED with a maximum output of 3300 lumens, with a maximum peak beam intensity of 63,500cd. ideal for emergencies, self-defense, outdoor activities, maintenance checks, patrols, law enforcement and more.
MH12 Pro is sold with a new 5300 mAh lithium battery in 21700 format (it is compatible with 1 18650 battery or 2 CR123/RCR123 batteries) and is rechargeable via the USB-C port with a maximum autonomy of 650 hours. Nitecore MH12 pro has two switches, one at the tail and one on the side, it has two modes of use for daily or tactical use with 5 light levels (in addition to the 3 special ones) ranging from 1 lumen to 3300 lumens. It has a waterproof rating of IP68 (2 meters submersion) and has impact resistance up to one meter.

HloNM9dy_o.jpg

Note: Claimed data is measured in accordance with ANSI/PLATO FL 1-2019 international flashlight testing standards, using 1 x 21700 Li-Ion battery (5,300 mAh) in laboratory conditions. Data may vary in actual use due to different battery usage or environmental conditions.
  • The autonomy of TURBO is tested without temperature regulation.
  • TURBO Availability: TURBO level is only accessible when using a 21700/18650 rechargeable lithium ion battery with a discharge current greater than 15A.
Main features
• Uses a UHi 40 LED with a maximum output of 3,300 lumens
• Maximum peak beam intensity of 63,500 cd and maximum throw of 505 meters
• A combined optical system with crystal coating and "Precision Digital Optics Technology" (PDOT)
• Powered by a high-capacity 21700 lithium-ion battery compatible with 18650 and CR123 batteries, to provide a runtime of up to 650 hours
• Tactical mode and daily mode available
• Tactical tail switch and mode button control 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes
• STROBE mode uses randomly changing frequencies for stronger dizzying effects
• The power indicators next to the mode button indicate the remaining battery charge
• The level indicators next to the mode button indicate the current brightness level
• Intelligent lithium-ion battery charging circuit with USB-C charging port
• NITECORE 21700 lithium ion battery included (NL2153HP 5,300 mAh)
• Highly efficient constant current circuit provides stable output
• Built-in Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module (Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
• Electronic protection against polarity reversal
• Optical lenses with anti-scratch coating on both sides
• Made of aeronautical aluminum alloy
• HA III military grade hard anodized finish
• Waterproof and dustproof rating according to IP68 (2 meters submersion)
• Impact resistant up to 1 meter
Specifications
Length: 138.5mm (5.45")
Head Diameter: 26.8mm (1.06")
Tube Diameter: 26.0mm (1.02")
Tail Diameter: 27.0mm (1.06")
Weight: 82 g (2.89 oz) (battery not included)
Warranty:
All NITECORE® products are guaranteed for quality. Any DOA/defective product can be replaced through a local distributor/reseller within 15 days of purchase. Subsequently all defective/malfunctioning NITECORE® products can be repaired
free of charge within 60 months from the date of purchase. Beyond 60 months, the limited warranty applies, which covers the cost of labor and maintenance, but not the cost of accessories or replacement parts.

fjL3sMYu_o.jpg

Nitecore MH12 Pro arrives in a dark-colored cardboard box with the classic writings reporting the main features that distinguish it. Inside the package we find, in addition to the Nitecore MH12 Pro with the new 21700 5300 mAh lithium battery, the Clip, the USB-C charging cable, the ** holster**, the lanyard, a spare O-ring, manual and warranty.

wmKhtpdL_o.jpg
KzWhdM10_o.jpg

Nitecore, in this package, abandons the tactical holster for a classic cordura holster in black with elasticated sides. It seems sturdy and well made. The two-way clip in stainless steel is well made, included in the package, ideal for attaching to pockets, backpacks, MOLLE system and more.

The battery included in the sales package is the new protected Lithium Nitecore in 21700 (NL2153HP) format with now 5,300mAh and a continuous discharge current of 20 A. With this battery the autonomy reaches up to to 650 hours (ULTRALOW).

M8zfq3I1_o.jpg
Nitecore MH12 Pro can also be powered by other 21700 batteries, which have a discharge current of at least 15A and with the button positive, or via the adapter (not included) with 18650 (15A) or CR123/RCR123 format batteries.

Nitecore MH12 Pro has good build quality, as we are used to from NITECORE, and a completely new design compared to the past.

eXvqnvhp_o.jpg

As soon as you pick it up, the design of the body immediately stands out with a particular knurling, very aggressive, which makes for an optimal grip. The design of the head also changes with the lateral rubber button surrounded by a series of LEDs (four on each side) of different colors which make the battery level (green LEDs) and the output light level simple and clear. blue LED).
The projector is shallower than I would have expected and in the center the new UHi 40 LED and the proximity sensor stand out.

Nitecore MH12 Pro is built in aluminum alloy with anodized finish, black in colour, hard of military type and is made up of two parts: head with body and tail.
The dimensions remain compact, MH12 Pro is 138.5mm long and weighs 151g (with the battery inserted). Excellent grip and handling. Well made and the writing on the torch is easily legible.

On the head of the Nitecore MH12 Pro we find a SMO (smooth) dish with the new UHi 40 NiteLab LED in the center which we find for the first time on a Nitecore flashlight.
Glass and dish have anti-reflective treatment, crystal coating and PDOT (Precision Digital Optics Technology). The bezel is slightly crenulated. You can see the proximity sensor on the side of the LED.

An interesting new feature of the Nitecore MH12 Pro is the proximity sensor located adjacent to the UHi 40 LED which limits the light output to 300 lumens if it detects an obstacle at close range. The sensor works very well and intervenes at a distance of approximately 3/4 cm from the obstacle. At this point, accidental ignitions are no longer scary and burns or unwanted consumption are avoided.

fKBOimKl_o.jpg

Bv9umbCs_o.jpg

The side button (Mode Button), which we find on the side of the head, is made of rubber of decent size and with a loud click. The particular shape makes it more identifiable to the touch. With this switch we will vary the 5 available levels and the 3 special levels.

A certainly appreciated innovation of the new MH12 Pro are the new LEDs (4 on each side) adjacent to the side button.

OKDlB8Ym_o.jpg
On the right we have the green LEDs that instantly indicate the battery charge status.
When the light is on, the green power indicators illuminate constantly to indicate remaining battery power.
Status of indicators Charge level:
4 fixed 75%-100%
3 fixed 50%-75%
2 fixed 25%-50%
1 fixed 0%-25% (please charge the product as soon as possible).
On the left we have the blue LEDs that indicate the light level we are using.

At the base of the head a particular design limits rolling.

PK509FJT_o.jpg
On the opposite side of the side button we find the USB-C charging port protected by a very thick rubber door. Above the door we find the writing 5V/2A and IP68 engraved. It is therefore assumed that the charging port is IP68 certified (2 meters submersible).

During the charging process, the four green lights gradually change from flashing to solid to indicate the battery level.
The charging time of the 21700 battery (5,300 mAh) found in the package was approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes (2A) in my tests.

UX2XF5T2_o.jpg

The central body of the Nitecore MH12 Pro has a particular design with a 1 mm thick texture which gives the new MH12 pro a remarkable grip to maintain a secure grip even with sweaty and wet hands or when wearing gloves. The spaces for inserting the supplied clip or the Tactical Ring Pro sold as an accessory are then clearly visible.

1GP8qz8c_o.jpg

In the rear part of the tube we find threads which, being anodized, allow the mechanical locking of the torch by slightly unscrewing the tail. There is also a sealing O-ring for protection against water and dust. Nitecore MH12 Pro has waterproof and dustproof classification according to IP68.
At the two poles, for contact with the battery, we find a large plated spring button at the tail (negative) and a plated button at the positive. Nitecore MH12 Pro has electronic protection against reverse polarity.

6WMoN5Fn_o.jpg

The only unscrewable part is the tail cap. It is then possible to insert the cord supplied with the torch onto the cap.
At the end we find the mechanical button to turn the flashlight on or off. The button also has the Momentary On function (Momentary Tactical Lighting). To operate it you need to use a fair amount of force and the click is noisy. A detail I noticed is that compared to the previous MH12SE the letter "N" in relief on the rubber button is missing.

A4CJweuG_o.jpg

Nitecore MH12 Pro near other flashlights.

cvVK9dwr_o.jpg
From left: Nitecore MH12 Pro, Nitecore MH12SE, CYANSKY K3 V2.0, Nitecore P20iX e SPERAS E21.

USER INTERFACE (UI):

9WOVOPoI_o.jpg

Nitecore MH12 Pro has two switches, one on the side and one on the tail.
With the Nitecore MH12 Pro we have 2 Operating Modes: Daily Mode (selected by factory) and Tactical Mode.
5 normal levels and 3 special levels available:
Ultra-Low: 1 lumen, Low: 50 lumens, Medium: 300 lumens, High: 1200 lumens, Turbo: 3300 lumens
Strobe: 3300 lumens, Beacon: 3300 lumens and SOS: 3300 lumens

BEAM and RUNTIME:

LwXBMsCl_o.jpg

The beam of the Nitecore MH12 Pro has good uniformity with a not too cold tint and no visible artifacts. With the lighting test near the wall you notice a small and bright spot while the crown surrounding it is tending towards green. By eye I don't see any significant PWM in any of the five modes. The start of the spill from the walk is over one meter.

zaT6ToH1_o.jpg

The CCT (color temperature) and Ra (color rendering) values taken with the OPPLE Light Master Pro vary depending on the selected light level.
As can be seen from the data obtained, the color rendering has somewhat low values and the Duv of 0.0183 (HIGH mode) is shifted towards the green color.
In TURBO I measured 5615 CCT and 61.5 Ra.
In HIGH I measured 5487 CCT and 59.2 Ra.
In MID I measured 5354 CCT and 57.7 Ra.
In LOW I measured 5301 CCT and 56.8 Ra.

According to my measurements, the peak values in candles (cd) taken with the LX1330B Luxmeter at a distance of 5 meters are lower than those declared by the parent company. However, they remain high and the best values for the MH series (Multitask Hybrid Series).
LOW = 980cd - 63 meters
MID = 5468cd - 148 meters
HIGH = 23288cd - 305 meters
TURBO = 54270cd - 466 meters

5j1luJQ4_o.jpg

With a thermal camera I detected the hottest areas of the MH12 Pro in the brightest mode (Turbo 3300 lumens) after: 30sec, 5min and 10min from turning it on.

25apeUGp_o.jpg

JIQFhcpU_o.jpg

The Runtimes were done indoors with a temperature of around 20°C using the 5300 mAh Nitecore 21700 battery, found in the sales package, fully charged. The Turbo and High tests were repeated twice.
I would like to point out that the values expressed by the graphs must be taken, above all, as a reference because they were made with means and environmental conditions different from those used in the laboratory.
Note: Nitecore MH12 Pro, with the ATR module, adjusts its output power by adapting to the surrounding environment, maintaining optimal performance. Another consideration to make is that the battery, being new, does not have discharge cycles and therefore the performance may not be the best.
  • In "TURBO" mode, without ventilation, there is a slight descent from start-up that is not very accentuated at the beginning and sudden only 30 seconds after switching on. From minute 36 to minute 180 the curve remains constant. Subsequently there are two other stepdowns that bring the MH12 Pro into Ultralow mode (1 lumen) for a long period of time.
  • In "TURBO ventilated" mode the start is similar to the test without ventilation. Subsequently the brightness is higher but with a significantly lower runtime.
  • In "HIGH" mode after switching on there is a small increase in brightness for 2 minutes. After a small descent the curve is constant until minute 183 where the drops due to battery exhaustion begin.
NFsndmOG_o.jpg

The first 10 minutes:
dQHL4BUo_o.jpg
Video Review:

hqdefault.jpg

Nitecore MH12 Pro Unboxing and Use

CONCLUSIONS:

The new Nitecore MH12 Pro brings some important innovations to the MH series (Multitask Hybrid Series) that improve the feeling with the flashlight and make use more intuitive.
The design of the flashlight body now changes with an improved grip and 8 LEDs are added near the side button for notification of the battery status and the current level selected. As always, the quality and workmanship of the materials is excellent and the addition of the proximity sensor which can limit consumption or damage caused by inadvertent switching on.
The field test confirmed the power of this latest version of the MH series, certainly due to the new UHi 40 LED thanks to the collaboration of Nitecore with NiteLab (both belonging to SYSMAX Innovations Co.).
From the runtime tests it can be seen that the considerable power available to the MH12 Pro is, however, limited to a short period of time, around 30 seconds, before dropping below the high level of 1200 lumens. This timed turbo descent is undoubtedly intended to limit the great heat emitted with this brightness.
Finally, the sales package is complete with an excellent cordura holster and a 21700 battery, now 5300mAh, to use the torch immediately.
Thanks for reading the review.

------ My Youtube Channel ------------------------------------------------

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I'm seriously looking at this flashlight for a self-defense use due to its high cd output yet retaining a fairly concealable size.
I appreciate the degree of detail in this report.

ro.ma.

Enlightened
I'm seriously looking at this flashlight for a self-defense use due to its high cd output yet retaining a fairly concealable size.
I appreciate the degree of detail in this report.
Thank you. As you said the MH12 Pro certainly doesn't lack power.

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I've now ordered this light, my first Nitecore flashlight.
I called their CR Dept. and scored a 10% OFF, one-time coupon code for being a first time buyer.
So I'm already liking their customer service. :clap::cool: